Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-05-16-WWF-Superstars] Ultimate Warrior and Papa Shango

Loss

• 1 month later...

Warrior celebrates a victory while Papa Shango is at ringside "going into some sort of trance", to quote Vince. Suddenly, Warrior grabs his side and collapses and we're left to think Shango cursed Warrior. I know, it's preposterous, but this is actually pretty dark shit and there's a part of me that thought it was great.

Warrior celebrates a victory while Papa Shango is at ringside "going into some sort of trance", to quote Vince. Suddenly, Warrior grabs his side and collapses and we're left to think Shango cursed Warrior. I know, it's preposterous, but this is actually pretty dark shit and there's a part of me that thought it was great.

It sounds like this is JIP so what I think you didn't see is Shango coming ringside earlier in the match and getting one of Warrior's arm bands which he took off/or had taken off him by the Nasty Boys (I forget how it went down). Shango then retreated to the back with the arm band and I want to say also did some "trancing" back stage. I agree that this was awesome. They never really did a propper blow-off aside from a 5 minute match for Coliseum.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Papa Shango returns to ringside after a Warrior victory over Brian Knobbs, in possession of one of the Warrior's wristbands, and goes into a trance. Then Warrior suddenly clutches his stomach and falls off the apron. Vince speculates appendicitis but Perfect is adamant that it's a Shango curse.

It's not hard to see why this was such a complete disaster. Luckily we're spared the later segment that shows Warrior puking in the locker room.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This actually does get pretty dark when you consider that voodoo curses only work when the people who are cursed believe that they're working. If Vince had thought about it, he could have had this feud truly explore the psyche of Warrior and what made him tick. Unfortunately, he was only really interested in Warrior throwing up "black ooze" back in the locker room (and also sweating it, if I'm not mistaken). I realize he didn't want his stories to get too deep, but he missed a golden opportunity to have this whole be more than a regrettable throwaway that ended up costing the WWF a lot of its longtime fans. What a shame.

What exactly was that ooze? Not to turn this conversation graphic, but I can't think of too many things that come out of one's stomach in that shade of black.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-05-16-WWF-Superstars] Ultimate Warrior and Papa Shango
  • 1 year later...