Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-07-04-AAA-Sin Limite] El Hijo del Santo & Perro Aguayo & Misterioso vs Fishman & Espanto Jr & Cien Caras

Loss

• 1 month later...

I liked this more than I expected, since AAA has really become my least favorite major promotion of the 90s since watching all the yearbooks. And it's good, but a match featuring these guys in CMLL a few months earlier would have been way better. The match is filled with crowd-pleasing spots, but the rudos don't really come off as much of a threat, and I really hate the Konnan run-in. I do appreciate that Cien Caras still wears masked wrestler-style tights years after losing his mask, because it gets him over as this bitter jerk who just can't let it go.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Nothing special, though the crowd was hot. The faces seem to be working through a safe routine where each has a very specific, and limited, role to play. The first fall felt like a super team squash. Caras is an awesome heel and each time I see him here has me looking forward to his headline feuds in '93. Loved Caras continually picking up the faces after 2 counts later in the match to continue beating on them. This would've been better with 10+ minutes chopped off.

• 4 weeks later...

Fun stuff because of how hot the crowd was and the somewhat unique-for-lucha match layout. Misterioso and Fishman are interesting contrasts. Misterioso is young and super-athletic and flashy and charismatic but sometimes looks lost and doesn't seem to have learned how to put together a real match yet. Fishman is well-muscled but is otherwise about as athletic as Montgomery Burns with weaker strikes, but everything he does makes sense and he's in position to set up the technicos for anything they want to do. At some point Misterioso gets taken out of commission in an event that I completely miss, and the technicos are beaten down 3-on-2. This is actually a nicely well-structured chaotic brawl, with babyface comebacks and cut-offs and all that fun stuff. Konnan runs in which pops the crowd big--which is saying something considering their volume level throughout the match. This isn't really a great match, but the story told is fun and different even if the moves and such really aren't.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sometimes I wonder if Will puts matches like this on the discs to taunt me. This is yet another trios match that I found perplexing, not because I had trouble recognizing the wrestlers (though I had trouble telling the difference between Caras and Espanto), but because I don't see what purpose it served to book the rudos as totally incompetent in the first fall and then put them over as killers in the second and third.

I've never seen a three-on-two tornado situation go on that long without a disqualification regardless of promotion, and the tecnicos got almost no offense in once the rudos began to work over Misterioso. To make matters worse, there was at least one miscommunication spot where Perro nailed Santito with a dropkick right in the mush. It just went on and on and on until Konnan mercifully ran in to even up the sides, even though it cost the tecnicos the match. They had to do something to prevent the crowd from rioting.

The camera work didn't help much. There were moves missed all over the place because of the camera's position, and although it wasn't the cameraman's fault that Misterioso wiped out at almost the exact moment as Santito was being pinned to tie up the match, he could have zoomed in on the ring instead of keeping with the wide shot, which made it difficult to focus on either happening. (Misterioso tried to dive onto Caras/Espanto from the apron and took the miss right on the back of his head, which is why he was carried out.)

Let's put it this way: If trios matches were a baseball player looking to make my hometown Pirates out of spring training, they'd be batting about .075 with a ton of strikeouts.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-07-04-AAA-Sin Limite] El Hijo del Santo & Perro Aguayo & Misterioso vs Fishman & Espanto Jr & Cien Caras
  • 1 year later...

The first caida had me really hopeful.  The crowd was super into it and i was loving it.  Didn't mind the second caida, but once Misterioso left it kinda became a one-sided mess that the crowd wasn't going to stand for.  Seems like messy booking to me.