[1992-07-04-SMW-TV] Down and Dirty: Buddy Landell

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Southern as a tobacco stock car. Horner runs off Landell with a leather strap (Dutch: "Buddy, don't leave me! ... Tim, I'm glad to see you, I hope you whip Buddy Landell!") Horner cuts a good quick promo though he seems to completely buy Dutch's story, which doesn't speak much for his intelligence. Looks like Horner vs. Landell in a country whipping or strap match--I approve.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Dutch is glad that Landell gave Horner the whipping his momma should have after he cost him the title last week. Landell says that he's the number one contender and as a result can get a title shot whenever he wants, unlike Horner, for whom they only come across once in a lifetime. Horner runs out to interrupt the segment wielding a whip and Landell makes a sharp exit out of the ring. Dutch then starts to backtrack and says how he's got nothing to do with this and he hopes he whips Landell like the dog he is, as he though it was awful him coming in the ring and hitting him like that. He thought it was despicable behaviour and won't tolerate it! Horner says that Buddy is digging his own grave and for every whip he puts on him, he'll put two on him in return. Dutch again tells him to whip him like a dog, he had no right to do that and he told Buddy that to his face!

Mantel was great here switching sides and changing track when he was confronted by Horner brandishing the whip (in the segment after this on the TV set, he also denied any knowledge of doing this which was equally as funny). It's becoming a broken record but Landell is such a good talker and Horner wasn't as bad as he has been here.

• 5 months later...

Buddy was good as usual, but Dutch makes the segment here. Since he seldom wrestled in SMW for whatever reason, he decided not to do what most heels in his position did at the time and trash-talk the faces incessantly knowing that he'd never be in a position to back it up. Instead, he adopted a phony "neutrality"; whenever trouble broke out around him, as it often did, he went to great (and hilarious) lengths to avoid it at all costs. This wasn't the only time he switched sides on a guest to avoid getting in the middle of a feud, and no one, face or heel, ever bothered to call him out on it when he did it. Horner certainly didn't here, though he did have some unusually stern (at least for him) words for Buddy. I think he's slowly getting the hang of how not to be outclassed by the many great talkers he'll have to battle on the mic in SMW; we'll see if his improvement continues in the weeks ahead.

Did I miss something? I don't believe a Horner-Landell angle from last week made the set. That's too bad, because their interaction sure sounded hot from Buddy's description of it. Hopefully any future angles or matches from these two are included.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-07-04-SMW-TV] Down and Dirty: Buddy Landell
  • 1 year later...