Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-10-03-SMW-TV] Interview: Tim Horner / Interview: Dirty White Boy & Ron Wright

Loss

• 2 months later...

The Horner angle is too similar to the Garvin/Orndorff angle to be happening at the same time. Horner runs out in his Zubaz pants to exact revenge during DWB's interview. DWB ends up breaking a bottle over his head and he's knocked out. His wife comes out to help him. While seeing Horner get beat up doesn't really ever get old, this feud is pretty one-sided in Tony's favor.

Don't worry, the next three weeks are about establishing Horner as an ass kicker and DWB as a huge pussy. Ugh.

I always thought it was weird that they played up the beer bottle attack more than the lynching. I thought it might be because SMW affiliates got squeamish about the hanging, but they replayed the lynching on the best of show at the end of the year, and if they had gotten any complaints about the hanging, I doubt they would have done the Kevin Sullivan stabbing a few weeks later.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Loved DWB and Ron Wright promos as always, I thought Horner showed good fire, and the bottle shot looked good. Two weeks in a row and Horner gets bloodied up. It's really the equivalent of Tommy Dreamer's "he's hardcore" angle in that they wanted to push Horner as a guy who could get beat up bad and come back. But Horner just has zero charisma. I thought the angle was really good again, although they probably should have done this one before the hanging. Anyway, like Loss said, DWB beating the shit out of Horner never gets old, and Wright is establishing himself as one of the biggest dipshit ever. You just want to slap the fuck out od his wheelchair everytime he's going for pity and fakes a heart attack.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Horner cuts a decent promo discussing how it felt to be hanged. Tony, Ron, and Dutch are out to expose the fact that SMW CUT OUT the portions where Horner threatened to kill Ron Wright, thus explaining that he and DWB were acting in self-defense. DWB calls out Horner for sending in threats by tape instead of being at the arena, so Horner comes out and decks him. He's about to do the same to Wright, or teases it, when DWB breaks a beer bottle over his head. Ooh, a Mrs. Horner cameo.

If they were squeamish about replaying the hanging, that's pretty hilarious because for months the SMW fundraising ad video prominently showed one of the Fultons getting hanged by a Russian chain. Good, clean, wrestling entertainment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Down and Dirty opens with a recap of the angle from last week and we then go to a Horner interview. He has a bruised neck from the attack and says that he was confronting Ron Wright as he was promised a title match if he beat the Dirty White Boy and went out to get that match. At which point he was jumped from behind, handcuffed like a common criminal, had a noose put round his neck and was hung out to dry. He says that the Commissioner has promised him as many title matches as he wants and now it's time to get even, he's going to pull Dirty White Boy's neck like he did his and when it's over he just might be the SMW champion too. Back on Down and Dirty and Dutch asks them what happened last week? Wright says that Horner came out in a rage, he said that he was going to kill him and that there would be nothing left! They accused the SMW people of cutting that part out of the video and it was just lucky that the Dirty White Boy was able to get out and save his life! Anthony says that when he saw Horner come out and jump on this poor, crippled old man he just snapped and tells Horner that he was lucky he didn't beat him any more than he did. He starts bad mouthing Horner some more (thinking he is at home) when he rushes the set and clocks the Dirty White Boy. Wright wheels himself over to Horner and starts pulling at his trousers trying to get him to stop the attack, Horner then turns his attention to Wright who backs off and says how he's got glasses on and he can't hit a man in glasses! Anthony then breaks a beer bottle over his head, busting him open in the process. The Dirty White Boy and Wright leave whilst Horner's wife comes out to check on her husband and they go to a break.

I felt that Horner's initial promo was lacking in passion, but the studio segment was great. I'm so waiting for the day that someone finally loses it with Wright and just nails him, he's that good. Just a wonderful character who is my favourite discovery since starting on this SMW project. Probably not as effective as the hanging, but two weeks in a row where Horner has been left bloodied by them and they're certainly giving it their all to try and get him over as one of the top faces in the company.

• 6 months later...

Again, just what the hell does Tim have to do? He isn't Dusty Rhodes going on and on about hard times and risky business, he's a local boy from Morristown who's been done wrong and wants to right it. Two different personalities, two different types of promos. I didn't like the part where he said he might be champion when this is over, though. It implies that he thinks that Tony may be better than him, and that's no way to inspire confidence.

The old "heel berates the absent babyface who isn't really absent" routine was great. Tony and Ron are truly a pair, and Dutch is the icing on the cake. I think I would have preferred Tim getting a chair and running Tony off to what we got, though. How many times does he have to be left beaten and bloodied before the fans start getting the idea that he's out of his league messing with Tony? I also preferred that a wrestler would have made the save for Tim, although using his wife definitely adds another layer of realism to the whole thing.

I'd have laughed at the idea of Ron getting back in the ring if he hadn't done it a few times a year or so later. I seem to remember him teaming with Tony as faces against some of Corny's boys. Tammy was involved too, though I can't remember exactly how at the moment. (I know she supposedly was keeping Ron under a doctor's care for a while, which is how they turned him and Tony face.)

• GSR changed the title to [1992-10-03-SMW-TV] Interview: Tim Horner / Interview: Dirty White Boy & Ron Wright
  • 2 years later...