Pro Wrestling Only

57talk.com

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love the full Matysik series, which was more than a dozen parts I believe

I'd also like all the Rick Martel booking sheets. I have a couple that he did with Gary, but IIRC he did several more that I don't have and basically covered most of his territory and AWA career

FWIW I have roughly 60 57talk interviews saved, so I can try and fill in requests. I have most of the Robley stuff but I don't think all of it. Maybe I'll just make a folder on this account and upload some of the ones I found most entertaining.

Sorry, got behind...I will get htem all up there by tomorrow night, I promise!!

I will toss up all the Buck Robely ones too this week...they are my favorite...he is both interesting as well as completely crazy in what he said he did in some territories in terms of making it HOT again...like his story of 80's Central States...

EDIT - Matysik is up...all of them....except for 1966 Part 2...But I dont remember if he did that show or not as I dont have it with the rest, will look for it...OR they started in '72 and went through '83, then went back to '60 and got to '66 Part 1 when it stopped...that may be it as well...

Only listened to the 1962 Matysik shows so far but they are really excellent.

- Political machinations of Buddy Rogers

- Killer Kolowski not being a great draw

- Carl Sarpolis as NWA President

- Plenty of Johnny Valentine

Interesting stuff. Some general notes on Matysik though:

- Weirdly down on tag wrestling, which is interesting coming from that St. Louis perspective.

- Does think St. Louis is the centre of the known universe.

- Couldn't love Sam Muchnik more if he tried. So obviously his hero and idol.

I quite like Cupetta as the interviewer, he's better than 90% of other interviewers out there.

Interesting stuff. Some general notes on Matysik though:

- Does think St. Louis is the centre of the known universe.

- Couldn't love Sam Muchnik more if he tried. So obviously his hero and idol.

I quite like Cupetta as the interviewer, he's better than 90% of other interviewers out there.

Those are the two biggest things that make Matysik unlistenable and unreadable for me at this point.

Gary Cubeta was nuts, FWIW. He got clawmaster to send his results to him to use in the "booking sheet" interviews and got so demanding in trying to get them that claw basically had to cut him off (all of the booking sheet interviews are straight from Claw's results. Gary had little to zero knowledge about the things going on for someone in an area or a timeframe without them). He then went bananas and turned the entire Sports and Wrestling forum against him in record time. Further research on the guy showed a similar history on a video game board that he is/was right into. We should be happy he did so many interviews before losing his shit.

I listened to a few of these back in the day and I liked Bob Barnett's interview about California wrestling quite a bit, much to my surprise.

The most surprsing thing for me given what we know about him is how Cubeta comes across as being reasonably knowledgable and together on these interviews. Was he just an ace bullshitter?

I got stuck in traffic so have just listened to most of the 1963 episodes. At the start of part 2 Matysik goes off on an interesting tangent:

- Jim Herd's attempts to recruit him in late 1988 / early 89, while Matysik was working for WWF

- Phone conversations between Matysik and Herd

- Impact of Brody's death on Matysik's confidence and passion for the business

- Conversations between Matysik and Meltzer around this time

- Herd bringing in Blackjack Mulligan as booker before George Scott (lasted 2 days)

That was an interesting 20 mins or so. You get the impression that Matysik was just crushed to be working for Vince.

Also:

- Rogers reputedly got $25,000 for dropping the belt to Thesz and another $25,000 for the 48-second match against Bruno, he was in hospital at the time of the latter

- Sam Muchnik would usually lay the blame for disagreements with WWWF at Toot Mondt's feet, and made excuses for Vince Sr. (his buddy)

- Claims Karl Gotch was "never a draw in any circumstances in major cities" because of his "strict" style, he compares him to Billy Robinson

- Also says Robinson was not any sort of draw outside of his run with the AWA

- For listeners of our new Titans of Wrestling show: MORE Gentleman Jerry Valiant detail, in 63 he's getting a sizable push in St. Louis (as Guy Mitchell). I've just discovered he worked for a time as "Jerry Heenan", brother of Bobby Heenan. There may be a Jerry Valiant special at this rate.

I listened to all of those at the time. Probably should listen to them again some day. Cubeta was fucking insane though as khawk said. Also I think his previous fetish was actually pinball not video games

Pinball, that's right. Went bananas in their community too and became an outcast.

The most surprsing thing for me given what we know about him is how Cubeta comes across as being reasonably knowledgable and together on these interviews. Was he just an ace bullshitter?

He was a pretty hardcore fan going back to the 70's. He downplayed how much he followed the business in more recent years, but he was definitely still hardcore through the Monday Night Wars era. His main frame of reference was WWWF so he knows everybody who passed through there, and whatever stuff got into the NY market on cable/satellite (he definitely had satellite tv when he was a kid), so got Los Angeles stuff on spanish language tv, some San Fran, Mid South in the 80s.....he definitely watched a lot of wrestling from different places. Sounded like he read a lot of wrestling magazines too, and he smacktalks Dave Meltzer here and there (for stupid reasons. he trashes "the sheets" quite a bit too, maybe he just thinks it gets him over with wrestlers) but I'm sure he was an Observer subscriber at some point

I liked Cubeta an an interviewer. There's definitely some where he starts acting like a tool, and he has a few annoying quirks.....but overall he did a great thing. Some of the people he interviewed have since passed, some of the people were dug up from god knows where.....and I don't see anybody else trying to do what he did. It's great content for the pro-wrestling time capsule.

One small problem I have with him is that he's useless at keeping things on topic. That can lead to interesting places (see Matysik talking about 88-9 stuff), but it can also lead to some pretty boring stuff (see Dibiase talking about God for 2 hours, even the Watts rants get tiresome after 4 hours). He seems as happy to talk about politics or social ills as he is about wrestling, which is bad for overall focus.

Matysik is generally focused so those shows are focused. But the DiBiase ones are rubbish. (I'd heard them before naturally, just wanted to doublecheck something about his early Mid-South run).

Yeah, the DiBiase ones are some of the worst other than the few guys who wouldn't play ball or were trying to kayfabe and came off ridiculous (Ox Baker, Porkchop Cash....)

The political rants in the Watts ones are great IMO, because Gary is clearly cut from the same cloth when it comes to personal politics, and it's really entertaining. I actually agree with a lot of Watts' libertarian ideas and I can respect where he's coming from on a lot of things, but it's friggin hilarious when they're like "Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck are the greatest!!" You're from the UK (?) so some of the unintentional comedy there might not have resonated with you

I found the Watts ones very entertaining too. I can't remember where I said it, but I found them hypnotic. And I laughed a lot, but to be sure plenty of references were lost on me.

It is also quite ironic how hard he pushes the personal responsibility ethic again and again and again but then points to oil as the reason for Mid-South's decline. A pretty Marxist argument if ever I heard one ("it was economic forces beyond my control").

With DiBiase it's just boring because well, come on now who cares about his son? And I've heard it all a million times ("with me it was the women" blah blah). You can tell how much Watts has influenced his thinking though, on a personal level.

Into 65-6 and Matysik's "and they say there was no blood in St. Louis", "And they say there were no angles in St. Louis, "And they say St. Louis was boring" schtick is getting old, fast.

Some points of interest:

- Dory Funk Jr is 23 at this point and breaking through to the main event. Apparently he had some John Cena heat

- Terry Funk is just paying his dues breaking through

- Rip Hawk was a much better worker than Swede Hanson

- Sam Muchnik has some very odd policies regarding masks. First of all, he's against masks because he wants to see facial expressions. Ok, I can understand that. But if there was a guy who worked with a mask, like the Destroyer, his rule was that if you lost the match, you had to remove the mask -- every time, no exceptions. This meant he didn't book a lot of masked guys who wouldn't want to remove the mask. Pretty bizarre that. Why institute that rule?

- Ernie Ladd was meant to be phenomenal in the 60s until his knees went. I can imagine that to be true