Pro Wrestling Only

57talk.com

Reading over on KM, and seemingly Cubeta had his meltdown shortly after the 1965 part 1 show, so they never finished the 60s.

I do think on the 65-6 shows Cubeta seems bored, disinterested and asks pointless questions about The Miz out of nowhere.

Dylan, can you and Dave please track down Larry M to finish the job? I want to know what happened in 67-71. lol

EDIT: Hold on, later in the thread

To clarify for anyone wondering about the Matysik St. Louis interviews, apparently the bulk of the shows from the 2nd half of 1966 to the end of 1971 were done and posted on the site sometime on December 30

Maybe they do exist.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larry's fairly open to doing interviews about...anything, really. I'm sure that if me or Dylan/Dave asked him, he'd do it.

As for Gary...yes, he was a pretty hardcore fan going back many years. Someone (Indikator maybe?) found a letter from him to one of the old newsletters as well as an ad for his own annual bulletin or something like that which he put out himself but I can't find it right now. He also owned a satellite dish store in the '80s, as someone alluded to, so he probably saw a decent amount of stuff.

One big problem he had was booking guys who he knew little to nothing about and using the results as a crutch. He'd do a show with say, Ross Hart, and the whole thing would be Gary reading off results and asking "Who's this guy?"

Reading over on KM, and seemingly Cubeta had his meltdown shortly after the 1965 part 1 show, so they never finished the 60s.

I do think on the 65-6 shows Cubeta seems bored, disinterested and asks pointless questions about The Miz out of nowhere.

Dylan, can you and Dave please track down Larry M to finish the job? I want to know what happened in 67-71. lol

EDIT: Hold on, later in the thread

To clarify for anyone wondering about the Matysik St. Louis interviews, apparently the bulk of the shows from the 2nd half of 1966 to the end of 1971 were done and posted on the site sometime on December 30

Maybe they do exist.

Decemeber 30 of what year? I checked that site regularly for a LONG time and those last few years NEVER showed up...

Curious where that info is from? I have everything he did (minus maybe 1 thing) and I checked that site until it went down as they even had a mention that on so and so date the site would go down and be done...

I am gonna toss the 7 Buck Robely interviews up next...they are the best in terms of listening to stories, crazy and not crazy...plus you get to hear his view of why Brody acted the way he did as well as them holding up KC for teh NWA Title when Brody flash pinned Flair and took the belt and how they settled things in teh back...true? I dont know as I dont know the whole story..

Robley's story on that sounded pretty trumped up, and Cubetta asked IIRC Ken Wayne about it on a later interview, who was a Robley guy who'd been booked by him a lot when he was green and I'm sure got the 57 talk hookup through Robley and was at the arena that night, and he didn't totally discredit the story but he didn't exactly back it up either

I think it was Ken Wayne, but it definitely came up again in another interview with someone who was like, "yeah, it could have gone down like that, if Buck said it maybe it happened, I don't really know, I wasn't privy to any of that"

It sounded like the Robley/Brody MO was holding up promoters and getting themselves over at the expense of the promotion and opponent, then taking advantage of that to keep getting bookings. I can buy that they stuck it to the NWA promoters in St. Louis and screwed over the planned finish for Flair-Brody to make Brody look as good as possible, but the scenario the way Robley laid it out sounded way too fantastic

Still working through Matysik, but does anyone have the St. Louis DVD he keeps mentioning? How much St. Louis footage is out there? It sounds fascinating.

There are a good dozen discs available that Larry released some years back (at least I think Larry released them). There is some other tv available as well.

A bone of contention has come up on the 1973 Part 2 show: There's a Percy Pringle doing jobs on these St. Louis cards in the early 70s who Matysik swears is Paul Bearer. Years later, Matysik saw Pringle working for WWF and he swore blind that this Percy Pringle wasn't him. Pringle gets offended somehow, and Matysik gets affronted by it and the two of them never talk again.

Who is telling the truth here? This one seems bizarre. Like Cubetta, I never knew Pringle wrestled.

Digging around, it looks like it's this guy: http://www.wrestlingdata.com/index.php?bef...1&details=7

From the photo, I'm guessing that's not the Percy Pringle we know, and Larry M must have been confused about it.

One for Brick:

Show @ Fort Scott

1977/02/19 @ Memorial Hall in Fort Scott, Kansas (United States of America)

Bob Brown, Percy Pringle and Benny Ramírez vs. Pat O'Connor, Ted Oates and Big Red Reese - winner unknown [Elimination Match]

Into 1974 now and developments on the Pringle front. Cubetta emails him to ask for an interview and he declines. Matysik once again has a dig. "I was there and stood right next to him. He'll say it was a different man, that it was another Percy Pringle: it was him. Maybe he was reborn when he became Paul Bearer ..."

Honestly it's pretty strange how adamant Larry M is about this.

From TNT Times #117 in 1979:

The "bulletin of the Century" is how GARY CUBETA describes his 3rd annual I.S.C Spectacular, due out June 15. If you're interested in purchasing this 78-page extravaganza, send your $1 to Gary at 78 Crystal Lake Rd., Middletown, Ct. 06457.

Posted Image

Posted Image

All 7 Buck Robely Interviews are uploading as I type this....

These are by far my favorite interviews....he is a great guy to listen to / funny / and somewhere delusional!!

Are there any others that anyone wants that arent up there? I see others put lots up to...that is fuckin great!!