Top Posters In This Topic

I think that was it....

Outside that.....sone others are:

2 Lanny Poffo

2 Killer Brooks

5 Johnny Powers

2 Kevin Kelly

3 Karl Lauer

2 Mark Nulty (Great look at the history and fall of Southwest / Texas All-Star)

2 Ken Wayne

1 Paul Orndorff (1975-1988)

3 Rich Bauer

2 Ricky Morton

3 Bll Apter

3 Great Mephisto (EXCELLENT Stories about punching out Roy Shires / running from Police / his time with Anton Lavey) - 5 *'s

3 Skandor Akbar (I think all 3 are 57Talk)

4 Dusty Wolfe

2 Dutch Mantell

2 Dutch Savage

1 Dennis Condrey (Really Good)

2 Erik Watts

A bunch of other single ones as well, but I dont have them labeled as 57Talk or not....so would ahve to open each one to tell...I will check em out...but let me know from the above list! Some of them may already be up there, I havent checked the Drop Box in a while.

1975 part 1 and there's an interesting digression where Gary and Larry M start laying into Ric Flair and the way the title was booked during his era. It's a very interesting discussion and I will make a thread about it on a later date, but something I think IS worth thrashing out on the forum at some point. This post is a marker and self-reminder for that thread.

Cubetta said "Ric Flair should have never been the world champion".

2 Lanny Poffo - Only 1 have been uploaded

5 Johnny Powers - Only 4 have been uploaded

2 Kevin Kelly - None Uploaded

3 Karl Lauer - 1 Uploaded

2 Mark Nulty (Great look at the history and fall of Southwest / Texas All-Star) - None

3 Rich Bauer - None

2 Ricky Morton - 1 Uploaded

3 Bll Apter - 1 Uploaded

3 Great Mephisto (EXCELLENT Stories about punching out Roy Shires / running from Police / his time with Anton Lavey) - 5 *'s - 2 Uploaded

2 Dutch Mantell - None

1 Dennis Condrey (Really Good)

2 Erik Watts -None

I went throught that list, and here's what we don't have. I haven't listened to most yet, so I don't know which parts have been uploaded and haven't of the ones that a have 1 or 2 uploaded already.

74 Part 2 answers a lot of the questions I've had for a long time about the relationship between St. Louis and the Central States office.

James, your boy Bob Brown is not coming off particularly well here. Matysik describes him as a "sad man".

This actually just made me remember Ox Baker's interview where he talks about Bob Brown. He says he really just kept to himself in the locker room and didn't talk to people, but Ox says he talked to everyone. Supposedly Bob Brown asked him one day "Why do you like people so much?"

Early 1976 and Larry M loses his shit over a match involving "All World Tight End" Russ Francis. Just raves about him as a guy who had absolutely everything and who easily could have been world champion if they could have lured him from pro football. Talks about how everyone backstage was basically gobsmacked at how good he was.

Has anyone seen any Francis from this time frame? Or anywhere else aside from the WM2 Battle Royale? Or heard anything else about him? In 20+ hours of these interviews so far, Larry M has not lost his shit about anyone quite like that until now.

Listening to the Apter interview and I am really not impressed with Cubeta's interview approach and degree of knowledge here. Firstly, he has Apter on, but instead of asking him unique questions about the wrestling magazine business, he goes on and on about the Monday Night Wars era and whether or not WCW could have won the war, and what if this and what if that, blah, blah, blah. Second, he wonders why current WWE PPVs do not approach the record % number of Mania III, seemingly ignorant of the drawing power of Hogan/Andre and what an intriguing match that was to the public, as well as assuming all things are equal when comparing any two PPVs from different eras. Oh, and here comes some "Flair really wasn't that great in the 80s" type talk. Basically this is a conversation he could have had with any wrestling fan with a decent amount of historical knowledge and totally wastes Apter as a guest.

Edit: The last 10-15 minutes of the interview finally get around to Apter stories about 70s promotions and the magazines, but the first 50 or so minutes are skippable IMO.

• 2 months later...

Back in, and now up to 1978. Flair is finding his way onto the cards now and, in a nice bit of trivia, has a match where he goes over Tully Blanchard.

DiBiase is also breaking in and a great story about how Dick Murdoch helped him get over.

One little tidbit: Muchnik never booked Abdullah the Butcher because he thought he was a "circus act" and believed -- as Matysik does -- that a riot will actually decrease the next few gates, not boost it because families won't want to bring their kids to that. Interesting.

But the tidbit is that Abby would write letters three times a year to EVERY promotion with photos saying "book me, I'll help draw for a month or two". He said they had a portfolio of dozens of these letters he'd sent. They never booked him. Apparently he did this to every promoter in the country, and I'm guessing the world given some of the places we knew he worked. I've never heard that story about Abdullah before.

I typed in the username and password listed above in dropbox.com. Says invalid. So what am I doing wrong? Not the best expert with this stuff.

Both of them work fine for me.

[email protected] (password: pwo57talk)

[email protected] (password: scottsdale)

Anyone know anyone who might have of the interviews we are missing?

Two things:

1. I have gone right off Bulldog Bob Brown since Matysik mentioned he was racist. He wouldn't give the young Butch Reed a ride from Kansas to St. Louis so he had to take the bus. When he was confronted about this he said "Well, y'know it's just one of things". No, asshole.

2. Listening to the 1981 Part 1 show this morning, and he talked about a record gate at the checkerdome headlined by Harley Race and Ted DiBiase that drew over 16,000. This was at the same time as the famous inury angle with DiBiase and the Freebirds in Georgia.

I've found this great poster of that card. Note Patera and Flair vs. Bruiser and Dusty on a very strong undercard:

Posted Image

After looking at some of this data more closely and reading around in the past month or so, I think a couple of things:

- DiBiase's rep as a "top 2 or 3 worker in the US" was cemented BEFORE his Mid-South run and before he'd worked heel.

- If we did a "If not Flair, then who" style thread for 1981, then Ted looks like lock to be heir apparent in that year with Patera the only other real contender.

I'm not sure if DiBiase was really a "disappointment" in his Mid-South run. He has some great blood feuds and matches. I'd say he's generally disappointing in All Japan. 1988 is a decent marque year for him in WWF with big Hogan angle and the Savage feud. 1989 he has the Bret match and one vs. Blue Blazer, but generally that's a "down" year for him. But all in all, I don't see how his 80s was "disappointing". A lot of the matches you looked at in that thread were 90-93 when he'd settled into a WWF formula.