Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network finally happening

flyonthewall2983

One thing that WWE is going to have to really overcome is the perception among wrestling fans that the WWE Network is running off the same tin cans and string setup indy groups use for iPPVs.

I don't see this as being an issue whatsoever. Of the 99% of their audience who have zero clue that indy groups made a pigs ear of iPPV, that other 1% is smart enough to know we are talking apples and dog shit here.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Network debut is almost a week away. We know all the PPVs will be available from the start. What will be the first PPV you want to watch? I usually like to start from the beginning on stuff. Have seen very few full WCW PPVs so that is something I want see. Starrcade 83 seems like the proper start for me. I'll probably focus mostly on WCW at first. However, since Royal Rumble 2014 is probably available at start I might jump into that since have not seen it yet. I may watch full WCW/WWF/ECW shows from 98/99 too to get the full picture of those shows when going through yearbooks.

The first thing I'll probably do is watch all the ECW that's on there in chronological order. I used to have a lot of that stuff on VHS but I got rid of all my old wrestling tapes and magazines years ago

I'll probably rewatch some of the brand specific SD! shows from 02-06ish. I haven't seen any of them in full since first viewing, but I was a big fan of SD! in that timeframe, and it'll be fun to relive that era again.

There's several 01-02 shows I've never seen because I was in college and stopped watching on a regular basis. I'm not a big fan of the 01-02 booking, so I'm not in any rush to watch them. Same thing with 00-01 WCW. I don't think I've seen any of the 01 PPVs in full, just cherrypicked matches. But that's another thing I'm not in any rush to see.

The selling point on the network for me isn't really the PPV archive, it's all the other stuff. I've seen every 80's/90's PPV from both WWF and NWA/JCP/WCW that exists, multiple times in many cases. I don't feel the need to rewatch something like SummerSlam '90 or Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop again, lol

Actually, now that I'm looking at the card, I may need to rewatch Capital Combat. The Road Warriors and Norman against Kevin Sullivan, Bam Bam Bigelow and Cactus Jack (3 of my all-time favorite wrestlers)? A near 20 minute match between the Swat Team and Tommy Rich/Mike Rotunda? A 20 minute Doom/Steiners tag title match? I definitely watched this show too many times as a kid

Does anyone know what's going on with Dish Network and Elimination Chamber? Dave said they aren't showing it, but PWInsider is reporting that the PPV is still being listed internally at the company.

Don't look good. They have stuff listed for TNA but not WWE.

http://www.dish.com/entertainment/pay-per-view/?WT.svl=entertainment-subnav

http://www.mydish.com/pay-per-view/sports-and-events/

http://www.mydish.com/pay-per-view/sports-and-events/wrestling/?WT.svl=sports-nav

Dish Network dropping WWE PPVs seems really petty and pointless quite honestly. It's not like that will make them cancel their Network plans and all it does is take money away from Dish Network and possibly piss off some of their customers. There's no way to spin that to an angry fan calling about why they can't order Elimination Chamber or WrestleMania? "Well we would have been glad to take your money before, but now WWE is offering their PPVs for $10 somewhere else so we're not going to take your $50 at this time"

Dish Network dropping WWE PPVs seems really petty and pointless quite honestly. It's not like that will make them cancel their Network plans and all it does is take money away from Dish Network and possibly piss off some of their customers. There's no way to spin that to an angry fan calling about why they can't order Elimination Chamber or WrestleMania? "Well we would have been glad to take your money before, but now WWE is offering their PPVs for $10 somewhere else so we're not going to take your $50 at this time"

Exactly

Traditional PPV buys are still going to be there for a myriad of reasons. Pissing off your subscriber base like this is a good way to lose not only individual PPV buys but customers overall.

They're probably doing it to show UFC and boxing that if they try doing something like that in the future, their PPVs will be dropped. Remember that WWE's contracts with the providers say WWE can't sell the PPVs at a lower price than the one they have through the providers; if Dish continues to show the PPVs, they're pretty much telling UFC that they will get away with it if they, say, show the PPVs live on Fight Pass.

Maybe someone else knows, but maybe they're holding off until after Elimination Chamber because their case will be stronger at that point?

I know nothing about law or contracts, but I am also super surprised that Dish hasn't filed a lawsuit yet and the only explanation I can think of is that they're getting their ducks in a row and believe they'll be in a better position later rather than sooner.

It looks like AT&T U-verse is also not going to show Elimination Chamber. It's not listed on their February schedule (http://uverseonline.att.net/uverse/ppv).

Dish and AT&T have a total of about 19.5 million pay TV customers (out of the circa 103 million households that have some form of pay TV).

Could this be a sign that the floodgates are opening, and a number of providers are going to announce that they're dropping PPVs?

In regards to a contracts lawsuit, you usually need to show damages. So most suits would need to happen after the network launches because the plaintiff (Dish, DirecTv, etc.) would need to show how much revenue they lost because of the Network. That would be then be the basis for the damages in a breach of contract suit.

I suppose in theory one of these providers could try to get an injunction against WWE to stop them from airing the Network.

They're probably doing it to show UFC and boxing that if they try doing something like that in the future, their PPVs will be dropped. Remember that WWE's contracts with the providers say WWE can't sell the PPVs at a lower price than the one they have through the providers; if Dish continues to show the PPVs, they're pretty much telling UFC that they will get away with it if they, say, show the PPVs live on Fight Pass.

Here's the problem: we don't have the WWE's contracts in front of us, nor do we know when all of them run through. The last time I looked through the SEC filings for it, it wasn't at all clear.

I'm pretty sure WWE legal has looked at this. In great detail. If they were really open to an easy lawsuit from the PPV companies then they would have waited until those contracts were closer to ending to do the Network launch. Especially if they thought there would be an injunction against WrestleMania.

I'm pretty sure WWE legal has looked at this. In great detail. If they were really open to an easy lawsuit from the PPV companies then they would have waited until those contracts were closer to ending to do the Network launch. Especially if they thought there would be an injunction against WrestleMania.

Correct, that's the kind of issue that preliminary due diligence raises and addresses before the project gains any steam.

I think something along those lines was mentioned a few dozen pages back when the PPV Contracts were first brought up. :)

Lineup is out:

WWE NETWORK ANNOUNCES PROGRAMMING LINEUP

STAMFORD, Conn., February 19, 2014 – WWE Network, the first-ever 24/7 streaming network, has unveiled its programming lineup, which is highlighted by WrestleMania® 30 on Sunday, April 6 at 7 pm ET live from the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans.

In addition, for the first time ever, the WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will air live in its entirety on Saturday, April 5 at 9 pm ET on WWE Network. This year's current inductees include The Ultimate Warrior, Jake "The Snake" Roberts and Lita. A one-hour special will also air on USA Network on Monday, April 7, immediately following Monday Night Raw®.

WWE Network will officially launch on Monday, February 24 at 9 am ET and fans will instantly have access to live programming and the most comprehensive WWE video-on-demand library upon signing up exclusively at WWE.com.

WWE Network will be available through the WWE App on TV via connected devices including Roku streaming devices, Sony PlayStation® 3, Sony PlayStation® 4 and Xbox 360. WWE Network will also be available through the WWE App on iOS devices, including Apple iPad and iPhone, Amazon's Kindle Fire devices and Android devices, as well as on desktops and laptops via WWE.com.

The programming line-up on WWE Network includes:

WrestleMania 30

WWE's pop-culture extravaganza, WrestleMania 30, will air live on Sunday, April 6 at 7 pm ET from New Orleans. More than 70,000 fans from all 50 states and more than 30 countries are expected to converge on the Mercedes-Benz Superdome with millions more watching around the world. Current WWE Superstars will be joined by a host of WWE Legends for a celebration 30 years in the making.

WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

For the first time ever, the 2014 WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will air live in its entirety on WWE Network on Saturday, April 5 at 9 pm ET from the Smoothie King Center in New Orleans. This year's current inductees include The Ultimate Warrior, Jake "The Snake" Roberts and Lita.

Live Monday Night Raw Pre-Show and WWE Raw Backstage Pass

A live, 30-minute RawPre-Show will air each week and premieres on Monday, February 24 at 7:30 pm ET.

WWE Raw Backstage Pass will air live each week immediately following Monday Night Raw, providing analysis of the night's action and exclusive backstage interviews. The premiere will air on Monday, February 24 at 11:05 pm ET.

Friday Night SmackDown® Pre-Show and WWE SmackDown Backstage Pass

A 30-minute pre-show forSmackDown will air each week and premieres on Friday, February 28 at 7:30 pm ET.

WWE SmackDown Backstage Pass will air each week immediately following SmackDown, providing analysis of the night's action and exclusive backstage interviews. The premiere will air on Friday, February 28 at 10 pm ET.

WrestleMania® Rewind

WrestleMania® Rewind will provide fans with a comprehensive look back at the most groundbreaking matches and dramatic moments in WrestleMania history. The series premieres on Tuesday, February 25 at 9 pm ET with a sneak peek on Monday, February 24 at 9 am ET.

WWE Countdown

A one-hour, groundbreaking, interactive, countdown series that will put the power squarely in viewers' hands by giving the audience the chance to discuss and rank WWE's most spectacular Superstars, unexpected moments, best catch phrases and more through digital polling and social media interaction. The series premieres on Tuesday, February 25 at 10 pm ET with a sneak peek on Monday, February 24 at 10 am ET.

WWE Legends' House

WWE's greatest Legends reunite for a new title – only this time, they're competing outside of the ring. Imagine a beautiful house in the suburbs – perfectly furnished, with gorgeous landscaping, a lovely pool and quiet, respectable neighbors. WWE Superstars from the past including Rowdy Roddy Piper, Tony Atlas and Hacksaw Jim Duggan will turn the neighborhood upside down as the house staff tries their best to keep these Legends on time, on speaking terms, and out of trouble in this new reality show. The series premieres on Thursday, April 10 at 8 pm ET.

This is NXT®

A one-hour special that will take viewers inside the action-packed world of tomorrow's WWE's Superstars as they aspire to become the future of WWE. Featuring behind-the-scenes moments and in-ring action from WWE's Performance Center, fans will get up close and personal with the next generation of Superstars. The series premieres on Monday, February 24 at 11 am ET.

NXT ArRival™

WWE Network's first live in-ring event will air on Thursday, February 27 at 8 pm ET. The live special will showcase the brightest and best of WWE's rising stars from WWE's Performance Center, as well as appearances by WWE Superstars John Cena®, Sheamus®, The New Age Outlaws and WWE Legends Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels.

Thirty minutes prior to the event, the NXT ArRival Pre-Show will air at 7:30 pm ET and include exclusive interviews and appearances by NXT Superstars, WWE Superstars and Legends.

WWE NXT®

Each Thursday at 9 pm ET, WWE Superstars and Divas of tomorrow face off on WWE NXT, a one-hour, weekly show that features the brightest and best of WWE's rising stars. WWE NXT showcases the Superstars and Divas from WWE's Performance Center as well as appearances from WWE Superstars and Legends in an intimate setting. WWE NXT broadcasts from the state-of-the-art Full Sail LIVE venue on the Full Sail University campus in Orlando, Florida. The series premieres on Thursday, March 6 at 9 pm ET.

WWE Superstars®

A one-hour, weekly show highlighting the best of WWE Superstars and Divas in heart-pounding matches. The show will also feature highlights from all WWE programming, as well as a special glimpse at everything going on in the WWE Universe. The series premieres on Thursday, February 27 at 10 pm ET.

Beyond the Ring™

An all-access pass to the fast-paced action of WWE's home video library. With classic matches and groundbreaking biographies of WWE Legends, fans will have all the action from WCW®, AWA®, ECW® and WWE right at their fingertips. The series premieres on Saturday, March 1 at 8 pm ET.

Best of Raw

Every Wednesday at 9 pm ET, Best of Raw will feature the most memorable episodes from the longest-running weekly episodic show in television history. Each week, see some of the most incredible matches and controversial moments featured over the years on Monday Night Raw. The series premieres at a special date and time on Thursday, February 27 at 4:30 pm ET.

Best of SmackDown

For more than a decade, Friday Night SmackDown has brought amazing action and memorable moments to the WWE Universe. On Saturdays at 1 pm ET, WWE Network will showcase the most exciting episodes of SmackDown. The series premieres on Saturday, March 1 at 1 pm ET.

Expansive Video-On-Demand Library

In addition to live and original programming, fans will have access to the most comprehensive WWE video-on-demand library the instant they subscribe. WWE Network will offer all WWE, WCW and ECW pay-per-views as well as encores of Raw and SmackDown® totaling more than 1,500 hours of video on demand at launch.

Assuming This is NXT is a weekly show and Beyond the Ring, Best of Raw, and Best of Smackdown are each two hours, that's 13 hours of programming per non-PPV week. I'm curious as to how they're going to fill the rest of the 155 hours.

Edit: I just got this response from Dish Network on Twitter after I asked them about Elimination Chamber a couple days ago: "We are not offering this PPV. WWE is not willing to adjust their PPV costs to satellite and cable companies, which is unfair to their customers. We need to re-focus our efforts to support partners that better serve DISH customers."

Though they did send someone else a tweet that makes me wonder if they'll end up showing WrestleMania: "WWE has chosen to launch a 24/7 online network, without its TV partners, that includes all of its pay-per-view events. As WWE enters the increasingly fragmented media world by themselves, DISH will continue to consider the value of WWE pay-per-view on an event by event basis."

Assuming This is NXT is a weekly show and Beyond the Ring, Best of Raw, and Best of Smackdown are each two hours, that's 13 hours of programming per non-PPV week. I'm curious as to how they're going to fill the rest of the 155 hours.

Edit: I just got this response from Dish Network on Twitter after I asked them about Elimination Chamber a couple days ago: "We are not offering this PPV. WWE is not willing to adjust their PPV costs to satellite and cable companies, which is unfair to their customers. We need to re-focus our efforts to support partners that better serve DISH customers."

Though they did send someone else a tweet that makes me wonder if they'll end up showing WrestleMania: "WWE has chosen to launch a 24/7 online network, without its TV partners, that includes all of its pay-per-view events. As WWE enters the increasingly fragmented media world by themselves, DISH will continue to consider the value of WWE pay-per-view on an event by event basis."

WWE's response:

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2014/0219/570388/wwe-releases-official-statement-on-dish-network-not-carrying-wwe

And the real story now is that they have already added 500 more hours of footage before it even launched

Two additional years of Raw+SmackDown will get them 400+, so make it 3 additional years of Raw and 2 additional years of SmackDown. Since that stuff doesn't take a lot of effort: they've digitized new content for years, and they've been in HD on both since 2008. If they tossed up every Raw and SmackDown from 2008-2013, that's 1300 "hours" plus change given half a year in 2012 of 3 hour Raws.

Since on the PPVs are up, they don't need to have that much Raw & SD up... it's just that it's very easy for them to "add more hours" without really adding some of the deeper library cuts we want.

That's not even getting into them simply putting up loads of existing DVD content, mostly stuff released a few years ago that they aren't moving many units of anymore (rather than stuff that came out last year).

It's really easy to pad the "hours" without putting up every MSG and Spectrum card of the 80s. :/