flyonthewall2983

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris,

Good piece here:

http://whatculture.com/wwe/10-controversies-wwe-network.php

Well worth everyone checking out. It hits a lot of stuff that Chris and folks having been bouncing around for the past few months, but does a great job of pulling it all together in one piece.

One item, though:

When quoting 7.5, you really need to look at 7.1 - 7.3 which are specifically cited in it. This one for example:

7.2( b ) If WRESTLER appears and performs in connection with an arena or studio Event produced by PROMOTER which is taped or broadcast for use on PROMOTER's television network (“TV Taping”), WRESTLER shall be paid by PROMOTER, in its sole discretion, an amount only as is consistent with the nature of the match in which WRESTLER appears, i.e., preliminary, mid-card, main event, etc. and any standards PROMOTER establishes specifically for such TV Taping.

Which is almost the exact same language as the PPV section:

7.2( c ) If WRESTLER appears and performs in connection with an arena or studio Event produced by PROMOTER which is aired or broadcast via satellite broadcast or pay-per-view distribution technology for use by PROMOTER (“Pay-Per-View”), WRESTLER shall be paid by PROMOTER an amount in accordance with the nature of the match in which WRESTLER performs, i.e., preliminary card, mid card, main event, etc., or any other standard PROMOTER, in its sole discretion, establishes specifically for that Pay-Per-View.

It just subs one form of content (TV Material) for another (PPV specifically).

With respect to PPV, Vince pays them out of a pool that he determines he's going to pay out of PPV revenue, and then he determines how much goes to each person. With respect to "TV" we really don't know because people don't talk about it.

I know folks are wigged out about PPV moving to The Network. But if they got paid for PPV under 7.2( c ), they'll get paid for those products moving over to TV under 7.2( b ). The same amount? Who knows, because we don't know the revenue that will be pulled in. But they will get paid. How much? Just like PPV: what ever the hell Vince feels like paying them, based on whatever formula that Vince feels like using. :)

As I mentioned when this came up earlier, over time Vince may add a new 7.2(d) to deal with WWE Network programing in a different manner than 7.2( b ), or incorporate the WWE Network into 7.2( c ). But in the end it won't matter: it's going to be the same vague clause that 7.2(a), 7.2( b ) and 7.2( c ) all are. It's not like if Punk sent his contract to Bix that we'd suddenly discover a specific dollar amount under 7.2( b ) that Punk was getting for each PPV appearance.

If that's true though, why hasn't Vince simply addressed his roster to explain how this will work, considering there is so much unrest about it?

One, we don't know what Vince has told the roster. Two, Vince doesn't know how this will work because he doesn't know how much revenue they'll generate.

Vince: "Look... you'll get paid. We just don't know how much yet, and it may take a little while for us to build up the revenue to the degree it was under PPV."

Most Wrestler (not really understanding): "Uh... hmm..."

Punk (jumping up and down): "I want to know... and I WANT TO KNOW NOW!!!!!!!"

I'm far from a defender of Vince, as everyone knows. But we are dealing with a bunch of stupid wrestlers here. ;)

Seeing Network adds pop up online. In fact, was getting fed some over at Kos. That likely is a function of the Ad Server reading my browser history, seeing some Wrestling stuff, and feeding me it (when I refreshed I got an add for AT&T, my telecom). So the WWE is starting to spend some money on this. Online ads are reasonably cheap.

I went to download the WWE app on the PS3 tonight but didn't see it available. Can't even download it until Monday?

There's already an entry for it on the PS4 version of the PS Store with Monday's date listed, so it looks like it's already there but with the date locked for downloads (so we don't have to wait for the store to update Tuesday).

I was going to do it thru that way too, really disappointing. I am just kind of surprised. Didn't they give each reporter an apple tv at the announcement? I mean even Apple was advertising that they were offering the WWE network. You would think they would of had this figured out before the announcement.