Pro Wrestling Only

Best powerhouse/body builder type worker?

jpchicago23

All of the stuff ive been seeing about Hercules and such guys lately got me thinking who is the best body builder body typed worker? Most of the time they have a very limited move set and stick to the basics but im sure there are some of you that think there are a few worth mentioning. To me off the top of my head i always thought Scott Steiner in his early days was a good worker. Hell even in late WCW he had some good matches but not to the extent of his early WCW run. I also think Bulldog was very quick and agile for his size in his prime

If you are talking body builders Bulldog is a pretty good choice of the top of my head though I am sure there are others.

If you are talking weightlifter/powerhouse types that is a different beast to me. The answer there is Mark Henry in my view, with Ken Patera being second. Though I could be convinced Patera was better with more MACW footage

Does Doug Furnas count in either category? He did have a "World's Strongest Man" gimmick in the U.S., after all. Not at Patera or Henry's peak level and not the best worker of his team (the Can-Ams, that is...not Doug & Mike Furnas), but I'd put him comfortably ahead of Scott Steiner and Davey Boy.

Yea i forgot Reed and he could be considered the best as well. I like Furnas as much as Steiner but not more than Bulldog. To me Furnas never had a singles match on the level of some of Daveys with the likes of Bret and Owen. Even his singles match with Regal in 93 was fun as hell to watch. The point of all of this is to show that some jacked up guys can work and theyre not all on the same wrestling level as Warrior or Batista

I really like the Butch Reed stuff I've seen so far on the Mid-South set.

Ron Simmons also deserves a mention as a decent "power wrestler". In retrospect Doom should have been even more kickass than they were.

I think it would be BS for us not to mention Luger as a guy who looked awesome who could work a decent match on his day. He's not the *best* but he should be mentioned.

Brock Lesnar comes to mind...

Given the right opponents, he could usually have stellar matches that involved him performing some incredible power moves. He even squeezed a series of good matches out of Big Show (during Show's 2002-2008 decline) in 2003 that saw Brock powerbomb, superplex and F5 Show! Lesnar's matches with some of the smaller guys like Mysterio, served to showcase his true powerhouse. This stuff, along with his impressive physique surely makes him a contender in this topic.

Yeah Brock Lesnar was the first to come to mind.

Butch Reed was mentioned... Lex Luger was pretty great in the late 80s...

And Batista was pretty good. He doesn't have anything as memorable as Warrior/Savage or Warrior/Rude, but he's a lot better at basic fundamentals and was an underrated seller. He had some low points, but especially during his last run as a heel, I'm not sure how anyone could consider him any less than "good".

How about late 80s/early 90s Sting?

Really, after watching 1989 and most of 1990, Sting strikes me as a very mediocre worker at best thus far. I haven't seen one match in those two years were I can say that Sting was *good*. He had the worst major Flair match of those two years, had the worst matches at Starrcade 89 of any combination between him, Muta, Flair & Luger. I wasn't very high on Sting to begin with, but the acrobatic spots and the miraculous Flair match in 88 kinda hide the fact that he wasn't very good at all at this point. Luger on the other hand delivered whenever he was put in position to (expect against Mark Callous, who was not good either), and he brought stuff to the table, mostly positive. Sting didn't. I wonder at which point Sting became a good and game worker (he was by the time he feuded with Vader I think), but in 89/90, he sure wasn't.

Moved the Flair talk in the power wrestler thread here, which I re-opened after moving the infamous Ginger Lynn stuff out of there to its own self-contained and closed thread. Feel free to resume the power wrestler talk, but the Flair conversation can go in the other thread.

Jerry, a lot of what you mentioned was discussed in that thread, so you may find it an interesting read.

Carry on.