Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

until then, yes, wrestling is broken. but i think older wrestling holds up poorly as well if you look at it from the same viewpoint.

Can you elaborate on this?
like i said in the thread on drawing, pro wrestling has tended toward very simple, sports-movie type stories. the old great passing the torch to the next generation, the guy who gets it done in the clutch when his equally-talented opponent can't, and so on.

i just do not find this sort of material compelling at all anymore, probably because my extensive sports fandom has killed it for me. i am also not really interested in hypermasculinity either, and find it outright abhorrent if anything.

beyond me personally, these kinds of stories just aren't much respected in art overall, compared to more nuanced fare. i have posted here before about how wrestling could tell a story that draws kayfabe-era reactions without kayfabe (HINT: think lawler-snowman) but it would take far better hands than WWE's to pull it off...

Terry Funk here:

I was in attendance at the Spring Slam show at which this was filmed, can confirm that Rikishi moved around more for this backstage skit than the actual event.

Also, after the show Rikishi and Vader were seen sharing a box of fried chicken. A great time was had by all.

2014 G1 Climax participants announced (my predicted semi finalists in bold):

A BLOCK

Hiroshi Tanahashi
Satoshi Kojima
Yuji Nagata
Kota Ibushi
Katsuyori Shibata (I reckon there's a good chance he'll get it this year)
Shinsuke Nakamura
Tomohiro Ishii
Shelton “X” Benjamin
Davey Boy Smith Jr.
Doc Gallows
Bad Luck Fale

B BLOCK

Togi Makabe
Hirooki Goto
Tetsuya Naito
Hiroyoshi Tenzan
Kazuchika Okada
Toru Yano
Minoru Suzuki
Lance Archer
AJ Styles
Yujiro Takahashi
Karl Anderson

so Vince Russo did an interview recently and revealed that he pitched an idea where DX would play the Nation in game of flag football on RAW in 1998. DX rightfully turned it down noting that two members of the nation played division 1 college football and it wouldn't quite be a fair game. This might be my favorite Russo story EVER. Also said Ben Stiller smoked pot with X Pac and Road Dogg when he guest starred on RAW in 1999. Also. Austin wanted to drive his pick up truck in the beer bath segment, not getting the implied joke

so Vince Russo did an interview recently and revealed that he pitched an idea where DX would play the Nation in game of flag football on RAW in 1998. DX rightfully turned it down noting that two members of the nation played division 1 college football and it wouldn't quite be a fair game. This might be my favorite Russo story EVER. Also said Ben Stiller smoked pot with X Pac and Road Dogg when he guest starred on RAW in 1999. Also. Austin wanted to drive his pick up truck in the beer bath segment, not getting the implied joke

Sorry, I'm a bit slow this morning, but what's the implied joke?

Sorry, I'm a bit slow this morning, but what's the implied joke?

The beer coming out of the hose from the beer truck.

So one of the biggest mysteries of my early teenage years was that freakin WCW logo on PPV's at the end of the ramp that looked like it was sinking. No idea why the bottom of the C and the first W was cut off. Now that I can easily see all the PPV's in order I saw that its first appearance on PPV was at Halloween Havoc 1990 and it kind of looks like part of the set. After that the next appearance was at the GAB 1990 (the second WCW PPV I ever saw, first was Battlebowl 1993) and it looks weird there.

Since this is WCW I assume they ordered the sign and then they realised it wouldn't stand up by itself so they cut it off. Or something. It always looked odd and I imagine is the kind of stuff that would make Vince McMahon flip his lid and fire the entire production crew on the spot.

I can't be the only one about here who has wondered about that sign.

I had a lot of time on my hands today, and Starrcade 97 wasn't thrilling me. This led to me compiling the TNA Linear Title. I got this idea from Jason Felix over at Voices of Wrestling. He did his own TNA Linear Title, but his lumped the NWA and TNA titles together. I view the TNA title as completely separate from the NWA title, so my title starts with when Kurt Angle was declared the first ever TNA Champion. This is extremely dorky stuff I know, but I got a kick out of compiling the list, and seeing how very TNA the title has been for the past two years. Here's the rules I used (again, taken from Jason Felix),

1. Title could only change hands in singles (i.e. one on one) matches.
  2. Title can not be lost by countout or disqualification (keeping with the traditional rules of pro wrestling)
  3. Title could be lost by pinfall, submission, or by a match stipulation.
  4. Title could be lost by Referee Stoppage
  5. Title could not be lost in an Multiple Man (Triple Threat, Elimination Chamber, etc) or Tag Team Match
  6. Title must be defended (i.e. wrestle a one on one match) every 365 days.
  7. The Linear Title is not bound to the "insert fed here". If the champion loses anywhere (Japan, another territory, etc.), they lose the Linear Title.

And here is the title history,

Kurt Angle 05-13-2007

Jay Lethal 09-09-2007

Christopher Daniels 09-10-2007

Jay Lethal (2) 10-14-2007

Johnny Devine 01-21-2008

Rhino 03-12-2008

Toru Yano 03-19-2008

Giant Bernard 03-23-2008

Hiroshi Tanahashi 03-23-2008

Shinsuke Nakamura 03-30-2008

Keiji Muto 04-27-2008

Hiroshi Tanahashi (2) 01-04-2009

Manabu Nakanishi 05-06-2009

Hiroshi Tanahashi (3) 06-20-2009

Takao Omori 08-07-2009

Masato Tanaka 08-09-2009

Togi Makabe 08-13-2009

Shinsuke Nakamura (2) 09-27-2009

Togi Makabe (2) 05-03-2010

Tetsuya Naito 08-06-2010

Toru Yano (2) 08-12-2010

Hiroshi Tanahashi (4) 08-13-2010

Prince Devitt 08-14-2010

Toru Yano (3) 08-15-2010

TAJIRI 10-11-2010

Michael Kovac 01-29-2011

Tatanka 02-18-2011

Joe E. Legend 02-25-2011

El Ligero 03-18-2011

Deano 03-26-2011

CJ Banks 04-02-2011

Kid Fite 04-03-2011

Chaos 04-16-2011

Killer Karlson 05-28-2011

Chaos (2) 08-27-2011

Lionheart 09-03-2011

Wolfgang 10-21-2011

BT Gunn 04-01-2012

Red Lightning 06-03-2012

BT Gunn (2) 06-29-2012

Red Lightning (2) 07-01-2012

U-Gene 12-07-2012

Dave Mastiff 12-09-2012

El Ligero (2) 01-27-2013

Super Crazy 02-01-2013

Joey Hayes 02-02-2013

Noam Dar 02-02-2013

Andy Wild 02-16-2013

Wolfgang (2) 02-17-2013

Kid Fite (2) 03-23-2013

Johnny Moss 06-21-2013

BT Gunn (3) 09-27-2013

Jack Jester 04-06-2014

El Ligero (3) 06-07-2014

Rampage Brown 06-08-2014

Zack Gibson 06-13-2014

so I was watching a Cary Elwes interview online promoting his new book about the Princess Bride and he brought up a pretty hilarious Andre story. On the first day of shooting, first scene shot in the movie, right after Rob Reiner yells action, Andre farts so loud that it reverberates across the set. Everyone starts howling with laughter. Elwes cannot keep it together the rest of the scene and had to momentarily collect himself. After proding from Elwes, Andre simply states "Yeah that was a good one".

oh here it is:

"The fart story."
"What I like to call the Mighty Wind. Andre — I should start by saying he was a gentle giant, the sweetest guy ... And one day, the first day, actually, the first scene we had together, Rob [Reiner] said, 'Okay, roll cameras, action,' and I think my first words were, 'I'll fight you both together, I'll take you both apart,' but as I was saying this, an enormous, monumental fart starts to emit from Andre. It literally lasted 18 seconds. And he just sat there with a grin on his face. And I don't know if he was grinning out of relief, or grinning at the humor of it, knowing that this was going to take a while. And I looked over and I saw the soundman who had the headphones on do this,[imitates the guy pulling the muffs away from his ears] and literally everything shook, and I just lost it. I couldn't believe it. As I started laughing, Andre started laughing. And then I made the mistake of looking up at his wig, and there was steam coming [out]! And the combination of the fart, which was still continuing, and the steam coming out of his wig, I mean, forget being mostly dead, I mostly lost it! Gone, gone, gone. The next four or five takes, Andre would start the take with his line, and I would say my line, and about three takes in, I had to beg Rob to help me. That was probably one of the funniest days. And at the end of the day, I apologized to Andre for laughing at his fart and he said, 'It was a good one.'"

I'd be interested in seeing the AWA linear title compilation.

I'll post it in a little bit (either here or I may save it for the magazine), sadly it loses steam after spending a lot of time in the Stampede territory because it eventually merges with the WWF title and takes on that lineage.

Related to Brody, i just watched a disc that had Brody's only "clean" job in the States possibly through the entire 80's on it a few days ago, vs. Kabuki of all people in Texas. That would have been circa 81 or 82. I had seen it before but not for years.

...and, to clarify, that "Clean Job" sees Brody get pinned for a 3 count but he does mostly kick out at 2 and a half, but as far as I know he took the pinfall loss unless there was an after-the-fact DQ. It did not appear that was the case.

Brody is polarizing for many different reasons. I would investigate the Microscope forum to see if there is a thread on him, IIRC there is, and all the divisive points of Brody and his style/matches/attitude would be in it. If not there, it is somewhere on these boards...has to be.

There's another match with Kabuki that's easily the most one-sided match I've ever seen Brody involved in where he isn't working on top. Kabuki kicks his ass non-stop from the opening bell, then when Brody gets one hope spot in, Kabuki immediately mists him for the DQ and Brody is back to selling like he's dying. World Class must have had the same effect on Brody that the red sun did on Superman.