Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember endless Jim Duggan squashes on the syndicated shows shown over here on the German channels. *shudder*

jim duggan vs. rocky mountain thunder from around this time is my personal holy grail of lost matches, or at least neck-and-neck with nailz vs. giant gonzalez in NJPW

the duggan match was apparently so awful even WCW didn't air it! there's an old RSPW post about it...

It's a shame you can only get the Paul Heyman DVD online

It sounds like the DVD are running out at stores all over the place. My guess is that a lot of people did the pre-order gimmick. Luckily my Best Buy had the blu ray. :D

I know this isn't too surprising but so far this is an awesome DVD. Especially on the ECW stuff with tons of great backstage footage that I have no idea who did it. Documentary is really good and the extras are definitely worth it.

I'm shocked Rocky Mountain Thunder lasted in the business, even in a minimal capacity, until 1995. I hope he got better in the ring than he was back in the late 80's when he was almost killing AWA job guys left and right.

judging from that RSPW post, he didn't. he worked small california indies before & after his AWA run as "Armored Saint", but apparently he never learned from any of that!

also there used to be some interesting youtube comments on his AWA matches, which have been lost ever since that account went private or got taken down or whatever. people mentioned his real name and talked about how he used to have a sense of humor about wrestling until after his time in the AWA, when he got deeper into steroids and became a lot nastier. one of these comments said that he died some time ago...

actually i just found this little gem from 1994:

the comments here mention his death as well, and apparently he was in a band which i never knew

pretty strange what you can learn about some people and how you learn it!

I am really enjoying to Heyman DVD so far but one thing I wish I could do a fact check on is his comments about it being his idea to put Steve Austin in the Dangerous Alliance because he thought Austin should be groomed as a main event guy. It just feels like Paul trying to set himself up to take credit for Austin.

I also had no idea they ran an angle where he breaks his phone over Jason Hervey's head.

Flair/ Savage and Hart/ Lawler were both better and drew money.

Hart-Lawler was good in '93, but by '95 they were into the "kiss my foot match" territory and Bret feuding with Lawler's dentist. Flair-Savage seems like a solid pick thought, especially up against Axl/Ian and the rest of a weak field.

I've been watching all the Raws in order on the Network, and there's nothing that better encapsulates 1995 WWF like watching Waylon Mercy make his debut squashing a young jobber named Jeff Hardy.

S'plain.

1995 Raw (at least up to July) is a weird time that's half goofy ass cartoon gimmicks that got pushes that went nowhere and half guys who would end up being huge stars but were jobbers/newbies at that time. The same show with the Waylon/Jeff match has the "American Blue Blood" Hunter Hearst Helmsley making his Raw debut against a short haired jobber Matt Hardy.

Man, the behind the scenes ECW footage in the Heyman DVD was a huge revelation, that's the first I've heard of any of that stuff even existing. It looks like Heyman might have been the type of guy to compulsively tape everything he did around the arena the day of the show.

Everyone focuses on the lost gem matches they would dig up if they ever got free reign to WWE's archives, but between the revelation of this stuff and a lot of the behind the scenes on that History of Wrestlemania documentary from a couple years back, I would think there's tons of this sorts of footage that I would find just as compelling as having access to every Kaz Hayashi match from Worldwide.

And holy shit, actual corroboration on Paul Heyman having some sort of history with Studio 54, at the very least for the party with Ric Flair and Bam Bam Bigelow.

reading older threads on here is real funny sometimes

i mean, parv used to bang the drum for sting in the WON HOF and now he's solidly in the "luger was better in their primes" camp

also interesting to note how much more respect, say, ivan koloff gets here now compared to a couple years ago