Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

I don't know about the audience at large, but I know nothing takes me out of the moment and screams "This is a TV show" more than a guy going for a pin and then helicoptering around the opponent when he realizes he's not facing the hard camera.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, here's a random factoid I found reading old WONs: Russo had an edict when he was in the WWF that he later brought to WCW where no holds were allowed to be applied for more than 15 seconds. The belief was that any lull in the action longer than that would result in people changing the channel.

Also, here's a random factoid I found reading old WONs: Russo had an edict when he was in the WWF that he later brought to WCW where no holds were allowed to be applied for more than 15 seconds. The belief was that any lull in the action longer than that would result in people changing the channel.

Interesting. Did it say anything about sleeperholds and checking the arm, because when Russo is booking that is in every match.

I thought both did a good job, Striker actually carried the load the first match since a four way tag team spotfest was way out of JR's comfort zone. Hearing JR call a hard fought one on one match was like hearing Vin Scully announce baseball or Keith Jackson call college football....It just sounded right for lack of a better descriptor. It almost was weird hearing the announcers put over the match and the guys involved instead of trying to one up each other with corny dad jokes,

I did love the not-so-subtle jab JR threw out during the IC title match putting over the importance of the title before quipping "why would anyone even want a title if they all weren't held at the same level" or something to that effect.

Does anyone know when the change was made that wrestlers on WWE TV are not allowed to work the crowd and have to work toward the hard camera at all times instead of working all angles of the arena? Is it possible there's a correlation between that change and the heat declining so strongly?

I have been arguing that for a while. They work to the part with the least amount of people in the building. I don't know how long it has been. I complained about wrestlers working that way a couple years ago because the effect was so obviously detrimental. Someone responded that had been through developmental that they are taught to work that way. I just thought it was the wrestlers being stupid. The company gets most of the minor details wrong now. Guess I shouldn't be surprised the big picture stuff is a mess too. Time to walk away again.

Wrestlers have always worked the hard camera. It may be more noticeable now for any number of reasons.

Watch enough wrestling, and sometimes the whole work seems to unpack it's self.. at least occasionally it seems so to me!

The camera thing makes for an odd thought. Come watch our live spectacle, where we ignore you for the camera ? The reality of RAW always feels a little disconnected like that.

More spectacle for the camera, less camera capturing the spectacle.

Striker was generally quite good, but the handful of times he made some insider reference or said dorky shit like "fighting spirit" or "lariato" (fucking shoot me) were enough to ruin it for me. The guy calls wrestling as a work and it sucks.

Striker was generally quite good, but the handful of times he made some insider reference or said dorky shit like "fighting spirit" or "lariato" (fucking shoot me) were enough to ruin it for me. The guy calls wrestling as a work and it sucks.

I loved how Striker talked about how Kenny Omega "swerved" the New Japan fans and locker room, and then J.R. crankily responded "I've never been swerved, I don't know what 'swerved' means. Kenny Omega LIED!"

I loved how Striker talked about how Kenny Omega "swerved" the New Japan fans and locker room, and then J.R. crankily responded "I've never been swerved, I don't know what 'swerved' means. Kenny Omega LIED!"

That reminded me why I used to love JR at times. It was pretty great.

Wrestlers have always worked the hard camera. It may be more noticeable now for any number of reasons.

Watch enough wrestling, and sometimes the whole work seems to unpack it's self.. at least occasionally it seems so to me!

The camera thing makes for an odd thought. Come watch our live spectacle, where we ignore you for the camera ? The reality of RAW always feels a little disconnected like that.

During the Monday Night Wars you could notice that WCW wrestlers talked to the hard camera but WWF wrestlers talked to each other or paced around the ring during solo promos.

I never really noticed until the last few years that the wrestlers completely ignore the crowd and play to the hard camera now.

Don't know why this popped into my head, but what was up with the random Papa Shango vs Repo Man match that aired on Prime Time in 1992? It was weird because heel vs heel matches weren't exactly a thing that happened a lot on WWF TV, and I can't see it as testing either one of those guys for a potential face turn.

Then again, they had just done a whole heel vs heel feud with Shawn and Martel earlier that same year. And that match happened on a PPV headlined by two face vs face matches (Summerslam with Bret/Bulldog and Savage/Warrior) which is kind of weird thinking about it.

Don't know why this popped into my head, but what was up with the random Papa Shango vs Repo Man match that aired on Prime Time in 1992? It was weird because heel vs heel matches weren't exactly a thing that happened a lot on WWF TV, and I can't see it as testing either one of those guys for a potential face turn.

Then again, they had just done a whole heel vs heel feud with Shawn and Martel earlier that same year. And that match happened on a PPV headlined by two face vs face matches (Summerslam with Bret/Bulldog and Savage/Warrior) which is kind of weird thinking about it.

My guess was business was down and the roster was depleted so they had to put something out there?

Didn't they do a Herc vs Barbarian heel/heel match that year too?

Hercules was in a weird spot after Roma left. There was a Hercules/Sid MSG match in 1992 too.

Also at MSG they ran Haku/Barbarian vs. Kato/Mr. Fuji (I'm sure this match has got a backstory but I can't remember it... maybe Tanaka's father or mother dying). This was an angle building up to a Fuji vs Heenan feud and they even had a match somewhere (not MSG) which may have been Heenan's last.

During the Monday Night Wars you could notice that WCW wrestlers talked to the hard camera but WWF wrestlers talked to each other or paced around the ring during solo promos.

I never really noticed until the last few years that the wrestlers completely ignore the crowd and play to the hard camera now.

Maybe they just over rely on that style of presentation now? But it's been there since the cameras showed up.

My guess was business was down and the roster was depleted so they had to put something out there?

I do remember watching Prime time and they did a Big Bully Busick vs Brooklyn Brawler match. Think they even had a rematch the following week.

Reading some '92 Observers and seeing that Warrior-Kamala headlined a house show run. Is there any video of this? I have an odd desire to see this pairing.

I dont think so no. Ive checked the dates of all the 1992 House Shows I have and there isnt one match at all as just seems to be Shango/Warrior matches from fall 92.