Pro Wrestling Only

Top 10 Managers Ever in your view

JerryvonKramer

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God I hated Alfonzo. Initially I liked him and thought he added to the ECW shows, but I thought he was absolutely wretched with Van Dam. During the ECW project by FAR the worst part was knowing I was going to get a 20 plus minute RVD match where he is working a Carrot Top gimmick, with Alfonzo blowing the whistle the whole time, talking up Gabe or whoever was shooting the handheld, rolling around setting up RVD's stunts, et. Just fucking terrible, totally distracting and annoying. I suppose the whole point was to be annoying when he was a heel, but as a face? Even still it wasn't annoying like "man I want to kick this guys ass" but rather annoying as in "man I wish this guy would fall off a cliff and never come back."

This. That fucking whistle should have been shoved down his throat.

Dusty was a great talker.

If you're a heel fan in 1986 with Dusty talking about Dusty, the other faces talking about Dusty, Crockett & Tony talking about Dusty, all the heels talking about Dusty, damn near the whole thing revolving around Dusty (vs Flair, vs Ole, vs Arn, vs Tully, vs The Horsemen in General, with Maggie vs The MX, holding the goddamn Six-Man title with the Warriors to even get a fucking rub that way!)...

You fucking hated Dusty. Hated him on your TV. Hated him wrestling. Hated that every heel you liked was bumping and selling and stooging their ass off for him. Hated him on the mic.

O'Reily is the greatest consistent ratings draw in Cable News. He's a douchebag conservative. I'm a Dirty Fucking Hippy liberal. So I hate him on my TV.

Dusty was to JCP in 1986 & 1987 as O'Reily is to Cable News.

;)

That said, my quote above is a fair representation of what I think about him:

"Dusty... I always hated Dusty on the mic until the WWE's Dusty DVD came out and I got to see him far removed from my hate of him."

I only appreciated his mic work when the Dusty DVD came out from the WWE. How many years ago was that? :)

John

Dusty was a great talker.

If you're a heel fan in 1986 with Dusty talking about Dusty, the other faces talking about Dusty, Crockett & Tony talking about Dusty, all the heels talking about Dusty, damn near the whole thing revolving around Dusty (vs Flair, vs Ole, vs Arn, vs Tully, vs The Horsemen in General, with Maggie vs The MX, holding the goddamn Six-Man title with the Warriors to even get a fucking rub that way!)...

You fucking hated Dusty. Hated him on your TV. Hated him wrestling. Hated that every heel you liked was bumping and selling and stooging their ass off for him. Hated him on the mic.

O'Reily is the greatest consistent ratings draw in Cable News. He's a douchebag conservative. I'm a Dirty Fucking Hippy liberal. So I hate him on my TV.

Dusty was to JCP in 1986 & 1987 as O'Reily is to Cable News.

;)

That said, my quote above is a fair representation of what I think about him:

"Dusty... I always hated Dusty on the mic until the WWE's Dusty DVD came out and I got to see him far removed from my hate of him."

I only appreciated his mic work when the Dusty DVD came out from the WWE. How many years ago was that? :)

John

Yeah at that time Dusty was a polarizing figure as you really loved him or really hated him and watch those old Techwood shows especially 87-88 as there were weeks when Dusty would get heckled and then started cutting promos on the fans. I was one of the rare ones who loved Dusty & Flair together

The thing about Dusty being the center of everything was important early on because he got every program over whenever he would get involved but it did wear thin eventually.

I think I'm the only fan in the world who for the most part, tried to focus my attention on won/loss records and how good guys were in the ring instead of their personalities when I was a kid. I felt like the personal issues that spilled over on to TV were none of my business and I didn't have a right to form an opinion since I didn't know the people involved personally. (You can laugh. It's funny.) Of course, every once in a while, someone would do something so loathsome that I couldn't help but hate them, or overcome the odds in such a triumphant way that I couldn't help but love them. Those are the legends. But I had this weird desire to be objective, which is probably why I thought I was going to be a journalist at one point in my life.

Don't see how anyone can say Dusty is a better talker than Flair.

I love Flair on the mic and would have no problem with someone saying he was the best, but I hardly see how Flair could be considered head and shoulders above Dusty.

Arn Anderson is my personal favorite ever, though he didn't have the range Dusty had and his job on the mic was a lot different

Also, the only useful role Mick Foley has left is to be face manager Lou Albano

:)

I wish they would do something like that with Foley. He did say years ago that after he retired he'd like to become a Stooge sort of figure, ala Briscoe & Patterson. It seems like it would be a natural role for the guy, just have him as a mentor to some talented but charisma-challenged young workers and let him get them over.

My Top 10

Bobby Heenan

Jim Cornette

Captain Lou Albano

Jimmy Hart

Sherri Martel

Freddie Blassie

Paul E. Dangerously

JJ Dillion

Sir Oliver Humperdink

the Jackyl

Just missing out

The Wizard

Elizabeth

Gary Hart

Mr. Fuji

Slick

Skandor Akbar

Adnan Al-Kaissie

Joel Gertner

Bill Alfonso

Sunny

Eddie Creatchmen

I'm in the camp that misses managers and stables which of course was a byproduct of when I started watching wrestling when they were a huge part of the product.

Don Callis could have been a good manager, but he came too late when the role was already passé. He was good on the mic, was annoying, looked like a total weasel and could bump his ass off. But The Jackyl never was given anything good to do (seriously, The Truth Commission, Kurrgan and then the Parade of the Oddities which of course turned face after two weeks or so), and the Network angle in ECW was rotten. Plus he had to feud with a face Joel Gertner, which was pretty awful.

Another guy that got bullied by Bradshaw BTW.

Yeah, I don't think Callis was ever that bad of a performer or anything* but when your resume adds up to angles that were either beneath notice or actively harmful to the company you'd have to be pretty fantastic to rate above guys like Akbar or Creachman.

* I think he was sort of a pre-Larry Sweeney in terms of internet appreciation vs. his actual effectiveness.

• 6 months later...

Two things that have come out of the NWA podcasts I've been doing with soup and smack2k:

1. Paul Jones absolutely sucks. No charisma. Crap when he has to work in the ring as a manager. Really don't like him.

2. JJ Dillion is a lock for top 10, if not 5. A lot of little things he does that makes him a great smarmy heel manager and also him actually replying to Matt D has made him a legend in my mind. Dillon was really "the Heenan of Crockett" for a while there. I think there's a perception that he was "with the Horsemen" so needs some respect without really looking into him on his own merits. Been very impressed with him.