BBscout

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, conker8 said:

Yesterday was National Cereal Day, maybe it was just a coincidence.

the most likely answer. :) 

@PeteF3, They were taping at least specific matches in Chicago for clips in 1985 (Martel vs. Hayes, Martel vs. Roberts are the two I first think of from that time frame). I know at least one guy that was in attendance for Flair-Robinson and he didn't seem to think it was filmed as he saw no cameras, even in the place they normally had one for the odd Chicago clips they would show on TV. Same for Bockwinkel-Wanz, unfortunately, which doesn't mean either wasn't filmed of course, but if they did it wasn't obvious.

We know they have access to PWUSA footage, since they put up the 12/29/85 show.   I would love to see the full Flair-Slaughter match from the 8/16/85 show.  I've seen 4 minutes of poor quality footage

Baron Von Raschke vs Davey Gee
Brad Rheingans vs Boris Zukhov
AWA Light Heavyweight Champion Steve Regal vs Buck Zumhoffe
Greg Gagne & Curt Hennig vs Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens
AWA World Champion Rick Martel vs Larry Zbyszko
NWA World Champion Ric Flair vs Sgt Slaughter
The Road Warriors & Paul Ellering vs The Fabulous Freebirds

Two Holy Grails for me would be the March 25th, 1984 and May 21st, 1984 MSG shows.  Both were never aired on television even though both shows were filmed and recorded live for the Felt Forum.  Random matches from both were used for Coliseum Video and their syndicated shows, but the full shows themselves never even came up on 24/7 or Classics on Demand. 

We know more exists out there, because the Slaughter/Sheik match from the May show was used on the Greatest Stars of the 80s DVD set, and a few of the May matches (Hogan-Schultz and Santana-Orndorff) were shown off for the first time on that MSG Network series that highlighted old WWF shows from the Garden.  So they're out there in the WWE's library, WWE has just never fully released them.  The original WWF figurehead President, Hisashi Shinma, even made an on-camera appearance on the March show.

Yeah, that's the closest version of that show out there.  The Slaughter/Sheik match rules on this show btw and is well worth a watch if you have the time to check it out.  :)  Snuka-Valentine and what I believe is Bobo Brazil's last appearance in Madison Square Garden in a tag match with Rocky Johnson and S.D. Jones are what's still not accounted for from this show.  Unrelated but glad to see his channel is back.

The 3/25/84 show has even less circulating if you can believe it!! 

There's this Angelfire tape trader's page from 2002 that I keep bumping into on my travels and there's a bunch of weird-ass puro sleaze on there that, either from US or Japanese means, seems to have completely vanished from the face of the earth. I know that the match quality of whatever is going to be on these is going to be absolute horse-balls for better or for worse but it's like...most of the aforementioned matches, as much ass as we all know they would kick ass, are of guys we have a fair deal of footage of and thus it's the prospect of the match-up that gets us excited. These tapes are complete mysteries. There's only one each of ZIPANG and Sekai no Puroresu tapes going around. The only West Japan we have came four years before the tape on here. We don't have any old Eagle Pro or JWA Kansai as far as I'm aware. And it's a damn shame, because sometimes ya just need two grown men pretending to be monsters from space running amok or just generally having a laugh. Real wrestling is overrated. And with the cult reputation Yume Factory has on both Western and Japanese shores I really can't say for sure that the lost, great, wonderful indy classic between two guys nobody has ever heard of isn't on that list. I still need to delve properly into that part of sleaze but the bits of junior stuff I've seen of WYF and early DDT seems surprisingly ahead of it's time.

There was a review for the EWF tape in DVDVR #118. It sounds weird. But in a very good way.

The second Bret/Magee match that folk know about took place at the LaCrosse Challenge tapings on 5/16/89.

I don't know if anyone else saw the tweet, but Sean Waltman wrote about seeing a dark match between Magee and Dibiase in Tampa that is probably tucked away in the vault somewhere.

Capture.png

There were Tampa tapings the night after the Magee/Anderson match so every likelihood that this took place on those.

So have we reached a consensus on if that tape is THE match or not? From the piece Bix wrote on Deadspin he made it seem it is the miracle match and the date on the label was when it was converted for Bret. TJ Wilson retweeted Mary Kate vouching for her since people on the internet were acting like people on the internet to her,  but it doesn't seem 100% clear to me what's on the tape.

4 minutes ago, sek69 said:

So have we reached a consensus on if that tape is THE match or not? From the piece Bix wrote on Deadspin he made it seem it is the miracle match and the date on the label was when it was converted for Bret. TJ Wilson retweeted Mary Kate vouching for her since people on the internet were acting like people on the internet to her,  but it doesn't seem 100% clear to me what's on the tape.

Don't think she has access to a VCR until tomorrow iirc

Some guy just uploaded a few episodes of TV from Arena Coliseo Guadalajara in 1992. One of the matches uploaded was a Dandy vs Bestia Salvaje mano a mano that is listed at 4.5 stars on thecubsfan's site (from Lucha Libre Weekly?), a listing that has always jumped out at me. It's not a 4.5 star match, but I'd never have guessed that was something that would see the light of day. I've seen only one other guy who had '90s Guadalajara TV and that was just a few episodes from 1997.

2 hours ago, Herodes said:

Why isn’t the Hitman vs Megaman match on YouTube already?

Yeah, it's going to get frustrating the longer it's not available.

Kudos to Mary-Kate for finding/sharing proof, but she's been very unclear about what she plans on doing with the footage. Latest thing was not uploading the match due to legal reasons, as if she's scared WWE will come after her.

Not sure why it's not already up on a Google Drive.

What's the purpose of sharing proof if it doesn't lead to everyone being able to see it finally?

• 2 weeks later...