Pro Wrestling Only

WWE acquires the Watts video library

rovert

I doubt they literally own 96% of the company. That would defeat the entire point of going public, since it would mean that hardly anyone paid Vince to buy shares. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the McMahons own 96% of the votes in the company's stock. That would explain the class A/class B thing; lots of companies issue multiple types of stock, but the important management get stock that has like ten times as many votes as the regular stock that they sell to investors.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding Jim Cornette: They've added brief segments from a past interview he did for them for DVDs when he was still with the company. It wouldn't surprise me if Cornette was talking up Mid-South during that interview and they'll just throw in clips of that for any planned DVD.

They've done that with a few people who are no longer with them. I think archived Bischoff footage appears in a lot of the DVDs with WCW ties.

• 3 months later...

I'm trying to figure out if we should now assume this isn't happening since the Watts site is still up and Micah has done multiple "X% off until Y date where WWE officially buys the library" sales.

I would actually take the sales as a sign that it's still on. They have been pretty committed to charging full price over the years.

The documentary will be the best part of this because of all the people they have on hand to talk about it.

I was thinking about this yesterday and aside from Watts, Duggan, Dibiase and JR, who else do you think they could get? Mr. Wrestling II is in his 70s (but then so is Watts), here are some other names of reasonably prominent Watts guys who are still alive:

Bob Roop

Jerry Stubbs

Matt Bourne (legends contract as Doink?)

Butch Reed

Jim Cornette (highly unlikely?)

Bobby Eaton

Dennis Condrey (under WWE contract)

Ricky Morton

Robert Gibson

Killer Kahn

Chavo Guerrero

Hector Guerrero

Jake Roberts

Tommy Rogers

Bobby Fulton

Terry Taylor

Dutch Mantell

1. How many of these guys would be willing to be interviewed?

2. How many of the guys would the WWE BOTHER to contact?

Part of me thinks they'll just think "Oh, we've got JR and DiBiase, they are familiar to the modern fans, and we've got Watts so don't need anyone else".

Talk seemed to concentrate on Cornette when we first discussed this.

Will the WWE bother to contact guys like Bob Roop?

Mike Johnson says WWE hasn't bought it. The Wattss kept sending the contract back with addendums which cooled the deal off for now. Mike thinks the November 1st WWE conference call will decide the fate of the tapes for now. As WWE is set to outline concrete plans for the WWE Network. If the Network is green lighted they will probably more activately pursue sealing the deal.

• 5 months later...

I called a ton of new matches on the Mid South DVD Tuesday night including a 40+ minute clinic of a NWA Title Bout from the Superdome between Ric Flair and Terry Taylor. Also called Snowman vs. Jake Roberts for the TV title with The Barbarian (aka John Nord aka The Berserker) in Jake's corner and Muhammad Ali in the Snowman's corner. This match shows just some of the brilliance of Jake the Snake. This one was also from the Superdome. Called a blood bathe between Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Maddog Buzz Sawyer from New Orleans, old, downtown Municipal Auditorium, a Midnight Express vs. Rock 'n Roll Express match and some 'Last Stampede' content involving Cowboy Bill Watts and Stagger Lee vs. Jim Cornette's Midnight Express....among MANY other bouts.

DiBiase-Duggan tuxedo match is also on there. Looks like a hell of a set.

A lot of them didn't have commentary. They were house show matches and unless they got played on Power Pro they didn't have commentary. Or the more jarring examples of matches that had commentary only in the certain parts that they'd show clipped on the TV.

A lot of them didn't have commentary. They were house show matches and unless they got played on Power Pro they didn't have commentary.Or the more jarring examples of matches that had commentary only in the certain parts that they'd show clipped on the TV.

That's right, I forgot all about that. It's been awhile since I watched stuff from the set.

• 2 months later...

Per Jim Ross

The Legends of Mid South Wrestling DVD which will be released by WWE on September 10 is eagerly anticipated by many including yours truly. It's where many of us got our start in the business under the watchful eye of the brilliant and often times bombastic Cowboy...Bill Watts.

The Chapter headings include:

The Beginnings

Ted DiBiase (Ted became a master craftsman in Mid South)

The Junkyard Dog (Biggest star ever in the territory)

The Rat Pack (An Amazing Faction)

Traveling the Territory (Talents averaged appx 2000 miles per week driving)

The Midnight Express vs. the Rock 'n Roll Express Rivalry (A tag team clinic)

Rookie HBK learning from the veterans (Shawn Michaels 1st territory)

Terry Taylor's quest to beat Ric Flair for the NWA Title (underrated rivalry)

Muhammad Ali in Mid South (The "Greatest" created a lifetime of memories in a week)

DiBiase become a fan favorite (The more one is hated, the more one can be loved)

Mid South goes National (It wasn't for long but it was memorable)

Hacksaw Jim Duggan (Carried the territory after JYD left..legit stud..serious, ass kicker)

The Fabulous Freebirds (Loved to be detested..no 3 man unit ever better)

Terry 'Bam Bam' Gordy (Greatest teenage wrestler I ever saw..a prodigy)

The One Man Gang (HUGE star w/ General Scandor Akbar..HOF level Super Heavyweight)

Dr Death (Doc grew up in Mid South..became a beast...was like family to many of us)

I will have a list of many of the matches that will be included on this long awaited DVD in the next few days. I plan on watching an advance copy of the DVD in the next couple of weeks.

There's tons of rare footage that never aired, either at all on TV or in its entirety, that will be featured on the DVD including me (long before the black hat days) attending a Muslim church service in Los Angeles as a guest of the great Muhammad Ali.

WWE Home Video personnel did hours of interviews with many of the stars who appear on the DVD who all tell their stories of their experiences wrestling in one of the most physically demanding territories ever in the business.

I voiced over several matches that never aired on TV including a 40+ minute classic between Flair and Taylor for the NWA Title in the Super Dome in New Orleans. Terry tells a great, behind the scenes story regarding the one and only "Naitch" that you will love.

When wrestlers talk about competing in a snug or stiff IE physical fashion one of the great examples of such is a bloodbath I called between Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Mad Dog Buzz Sawyer from the downtown, Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans.

Many younger fans likely won't have a clue as to how significant Mid South Wrestling was in the history of the pro wrestling business but they will hopefully check out this DVD which is loaded with historic information, memorable moments and, seemingly, countless, future Hall of Fame talents.

In many ways, Mid South Wrestling was 'extreme' long before ECW coined the phrase.

Per Jim Ross

The Legends of Mid South Wrestling DVD which will be released by WWE on September 10 is eagerly anticipated by many including yours truly. It's where many of us got our start in the business under the watchful eye of the brilliant and often times bombastic Cowboy...Bill Watts.

The Chapter headings include:

The Beginnings

Ted DiBiase (Ted became a master craftsman in Mid South)

The Junkyard Dog (Biggest star ever in the territory)

The Rat Pack (An Amazing Faction)

Traveling the Territory (Talents averaged appx 2000 miles per week driving)

The Midnight Express vs. the Rock 'n Roll Express Rivalry (A tag team clinic)

Rookie HBK learning from the veterans (Shawn Michaels 1st territory)

Terry Taylor's quest to beat Ric Flair for the NWA Title (underrated rivalry)

Muhammad Ali in Mid South (The "Greatest" created a lifetime of memories in a week)

DiBiase become a fan favorite (The more one is hated, the more one can be loved)

Mid South goes National (It wasn't for long but it was memorable)

Hacksaw Jim Duggan (Carried the territory after JYD left..legit stud..serious, ass kicker)

The Fabulous Freebirds (Loved to be detested..no 3 man unit ever better)

Terry 'Bam Bam' Gordy (Greatest teenage wrestler I ever saw..a prodigy)

The One Man Gang (HUGE star w/ General Scandor Akbar..HOF level Super Heavyweight)

Dr Death (Doc grew up in Mid South..became a beast...was like family to many of us)

I will have a list of many of the matches that will be included on this long awaited DVD in the next few days. I plan on watching an advance copy of the DVD in the next couple of weeks.

There's tons of rare footage that never aired, either at all on TV or in its entirety, that will be featured on the DVD including me (long before the black hat days) attending a Muslim church service in Los Angeles as a guest of the great Muhammad Ali.

WWE Home Video personnel did hours of interviews with many of the stars who appear on the DVD who all tell their stories of their experiences wrestling in one of the most physically demanding territories ever in the business.

I voiced over several matches that never aired on TV including a 40+ minute classic between Flair and Taylor for the NWA Title in the Super Dome in New Orleans. Terry tells a great, behind the scenes story regarding the one and only "Naitch" that you will love.

When wrestlers talk about competing in a snug or stiff IE physical fashion one of the great examples of such is a bloodbath I called between Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Mad Dog Buzz Sawyer from the downtown, Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans.

Many younger fans likely won't have a clue as to how significant Mid South Wrestling was in the history of the pro wrestling business but they will hopefully check out this DVD which is loaded with historic information, memorable moments and, seemingly, countless, future Hall of Fame talents.

In many ways, Mid South Wrestling was 'extreme' long before ECW coined the phrase.

Sounds like this will be better than my first thought. The no doc part really turned me off originally, now I think I'll pick it up.