Coffey

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/18/2020 at 5:24 PM, Mad Dog said:

Yeah, Josh Alexander wrote about that scam sometime around 2014. Makes you wonder how much more stable a company they could be if they weren't pay to play on more unknown talents.

You would think with Sinclair apparently willing to open the checkbook a little more freely now they wouldn't need to run those scams anymore, but I supposes carnies gotta carny. 

Also they announced the Pure title is coming back. So that's something. Not sure how well that's going to work with the whole "Pure wrestling rules" not nearly as unique as it was before but they're trying. 

1 hour ago, Mad Dog said:

They announced it so I went to check for tickets for Columbus and nothing on their website of course. They also insist on running a concert venue here which is terrible for watching wrestling. 

They do that here in Pittsburgh too, Stage AE is a small concert venue located between the two stadiums here and it's not ideal for wrestling. I suppose it's the best place for the size they can run in around here. I'm thinking I might go to the second night where they crown the new champion since it will be here.

FWIW I went to the website for the venue and found ticket info there rather than on the ROH site. They won't be on sale until 2/7 so maybe it will be on the ROH site then. 

• 1 month later...

Over the past couple years I've heard and read about Ring of Honor having problems behind the scenes and after finding out what I did today, I have no sympathy for them.  They have a bunch of morons running that company.

Ever since Marty Scurll signed his new contract and got promoted to the creative team, there has been a significantly increased ROH presence in the NWA.  Scurll is challenging Aldis for the World Title at the next NWA PPV, Flip Gordon challenged Aldis at the last NWA PPV, and guys like Dan Maff, The Bouncers and Brody King have all shown up on NWA Power.  A couple of days ago it was announced that Nick Aldis would be defending the NWA World Heavyweight Championship at Supercard of Honor on April 4, against PCO.  I was a big fan of that idea, so I decided I would probably check it out.

I am a huge NWA fan, and I figured with all the cross promotion between the NWA and ROH I would start watching Ring of Honor's weekly TV show and catch the next couple of PPV's.  I've watched their TV show for the past two weeks.  It's the drizzling shits.  It's horribly edited together, the production values make Impact look like WWE, and it's basically a bunch of second rate NJPW ripoff spotfests filmed in front of mostly empty arenas. With bad commentary on top of it.

Undaunted, I decided I'd check Supercard of Honor anyhow.   I headed over to Fite TV to pre-order the show, only to find out that Ring of Honor are charging $35.00 for Supercard of Honor.  Thirty-five freaking bucks.  For a Ring of Honor show, in 2020. 

That's insane.

By comparison, I just paid $19.99 for AEW Revolution, which is obviously a far superior product with way better quality of content and production values. ROH is charging $15.00 more for their PPV's than AEW. That's also literally double what I paid for the last NWA PPV. That's just madness.

But I still wanted to see the show.  I had heard about "Honor Club."  My understanding was that this is basically the ROH version of the WWE Network.  I had heard for $10.00 a month, you get access to ROH's considerable video library and can see their PPV's as well.  I figured, hey...I'll re-watch the Joe vs. Punk Trilogy, I'll re-watch Joe vs. Kobashi, I'll check out some classic Bryan Danielson...plus I'll be able to see the upcoming 18th Anniversary Show and Supercard of Honor.  Ten bucks a month for all that sounded fair to me, so I decided to sign up.  But then I found out that...

- Ring of Honor has not actually uploaded all of their back-catalogue to "Honor Club" although they "hope to" do so some time in 2020, so I wouldn't be able to check out all that classic era stuff I was hoping to.  Basically all you get is apparently the Sinclair era ROH stuff, the rest has barely been uploaded.  And even better...

- Being a member of "Honor Club" doesn't actually mean you get to see the PPV's as part of your monthly fee.  Oh no, if you pay $9.99 a month to be part of Honor Club, you get 50% off the Pay Per Views.  Unless you want to be an Honor Club "VIP" and pay them $120.00 up front for the year. Then you can see the PPV's.

What a bunch of bullshit.

I'd seen the infamous "Breaking Kayfabe" shoot interview Jim Cornette did with Sean Oliver after he quit Ring of Honor.  He goes into insane detail about how Ring of Honor screwed up their PPV delivery, and jacked up the prices on all their merchandise to the point that nobody buys their DVD's anymore.  Sean Oliver even commented during the interview that at one point, Kayfabe Commentaries was selling some of the ROH shoot interviews and merchandise, until ROH decided to jack the percentages up for them as well, so KC and ROH no longer do business together.

I don't know what moron over in Ring of Honor they have making the business decisions, but whoever it is they're a total idiot.  If they actually think that in this day and age they're going to get a significant number of people to pay $35.00 for one of their crappy, poorly lit, technically flawed, badly booked spotfests...they're nuts.  Ditto for people signing up for "Honor Club" when in reality, you get next to nothing of interest for your $9.99 a month.  Like I said, you can get the WWE Network with so much programming you could never watch it all, and all their PPV's for basically ten bucks a month.  You can see an AEW PPV like Revolution for twenty bucks. 

But Ring of Honor somehow thinks their rinky-dink product is worth more than that?

Their TV sucks and has sucked for a long time.

The back catalog has been an issue with RoH for close to a decade now. Their most valuable asset is those first 5-6 years of shows and they refuse to do anything with it. Being honest, I tried to buy the old DVDs and after seeing the prices I just grabbed a Torrent of all the shows and didn't feel bad about it at all.

It's insane, when you think about it.  Look at the names who worked in Ring of Honor those first 5-6 years.  Danielson, Joe, Styles, Punk, etc.  And ROH is literally sitting on a ton of stuff that if they'd just make it available, they'd most likely make a decent profit from it and reintroduce their product and brand to a new group of fans who are interested in those guys.  I really don't care to see any of the crap since Sinclair bought the company, but I sure would like easy access to seeing a lot of that classic era ROH stuff.  If ROH isn't going to make that stuff available, I half wish they'd sell it to WWE to put on the Network.

Supercard of Honor has always been on the $10 tier for Honor Club with no extra fee, and the way it's labeled I think it'll be the same this year. I'm assuming the high price on FITE is, like with NJ shows on there, meant as a way to get people unaware of Honor Club to overpay. (I guess you could say you get forever access to it, as opposed to losing access if you quit Honor Club, but eh.)

The lack of the back catalogue 2+ years into Honor Club's existence is inexcusable.

No idea. Like I said, I don't know the truth behind that just that I saw that mentioned at some point. I am guessing they misplaced some of the archive in some move around the Sinclair takeover and the current management is too lazy/cheap to get the complete shows on DVD.

I actually got the itch last week to go back and rewatch some 2004-2006 era ROH, but I don't even know where most of my DVDs are now and there's a bunch from '04/'05 I don't have anyway. I'd never heard of this Honor Club thing until checking this thread ten minutes ago, but I had a quick look the other day to see if an ROH version of the WWE Network existed because, I mean, surely that would be a thing in 2020. I couldn't find anything so I gave up. I got a little excited briefly when Honor Club was brought up...but if they don't have the back catalog up then I don't care. 

On one of the episodes of ROH TV I watched recently, Joe Koff made a statement at the start of the show and said that ROH will be adding their entire archive to Honor Club at some point in 2020.  But based on the history of this company and the apparent incompetence of the people involved, I am taking that with the world's largest grain of salt and will believe it when I see it. If they do add that stuff and it's confirmed, I might sign up...but I'd sure like to have the current PPV's as part of the package to sweeten the deal.

1 hour ago, The Thread Killer said:

On one of the episodes of ROH TV I watched recently, Joe Koff made a statement at the start of the show and said that ROH will be adding their entire archive to Honor Club at some point in 2020.  But based on the history of this company and the apparent incompetence of the people involved, I am taking that with the world's largest grain of salt and will believe it when I see it. If they do add that stuff and it's confirmed, I might sign up...but I'd sure like to have the current PPV's as part of the package to sweeten the deal.

I don't believe it. They have had some form of an online streaming catalog for 7-8 years and have never had the entire back catalog or even a healthy chunk of it available. 

5 hours ago, kas said:

It's weird because before Honor Club they had a good amount of stuff available all the way back to 2002. They didn't have everything, and there were some glaring omissions like the Punk vs Joe trilogy, but there was still a decent amount.

I don't think they lost anything in the move.

They have:

• The full archive back to about 2012
  • All (or most?) of the 2002 shows up
  • Some of their comp DVDs (Steen, Joe, Dragon, etc. and also one that has a mix of matches)
  • Whatever matches they've thrown up on Youtube
  • Some shoot interviews they apparently own the rights to

Pretty sure that's the extent of it. 

Not having the whole thing is really dumb in 2020.

Is this the guy that posts in-character all the time? Either that or he's a blithering imbecile, because none of the tweets I've seen from him have come across as even remotely intelligent.

Not sure how this would help his character though (which I dig). There's a difference between being a "real man" and posting harmful misinformation like "it's just the flu." Fuck off.

He's lucky ROH doesn't matter. If this happened in NXT, he'd be gone in a flash. 

I don't think that's in character, I think he's just a moron.  I've also seen people on Twitter bitching about "willingly giving up their rights."  I don't even know how you could argue with somebody that stupid. It's like trying to argue with one of those idiots who think the world is flat, or a 9-11 "truther" or that you shouldn't vaccinate your kids. If somebody is actually that dumb, you can't even use logic to convince them otherwise.

Silas Young apologized to "anyone I may have offended" for "perhaps" downplaying Coronavirus.

Maybe he's sincere, maybe he isn't, but people really need to be taught how to write apologies, because most of them suck at it.

Then again, he doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're," so let's not get carried away expecting Shakespeare from anything he writes. "Perhaps" this was the best he could do. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wondering this forever...has it ever come out what ROH's distribution was from 2004-2007 when they artistically and storyline peaked? For their DVDs and VHS releases. And how did that compare to 2002-2004 when RF was running and distributing the shows.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you mean the methods or numbers? Method-wise, I remember ordering DVDs from the website and snagging the handful of compilations released for retail. I have no idea what the numbers entail, but I'd imagine they sold more post-RF than during due to the growth of the company in general.

The numbers, like how many were they selling. I'd be really interested to know how much Danielson vs Liger sold compared to Joe vs Kobashi, or Joe vs Punk 2. Or how the CZW Cage of Death did, or Glory By Honor 2006. It would be interesting to know how many people were actually watching this back then.

• 2 weeks later...