Ring of Honor Wrestling

Coffey

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am the only one that finds the Sinclair era of ROH to be a study in frustration ? This multi - billion dolar , publicly traded broadcasting corporation buys the largest independent wrestling company in North America and refuses to put sufficient capital into ROH . I glad they bought ROH because Silken would have been forced to close and sell the footage to the WWE .

However Sinclair Corporation is worth billions of dollars , yet they will not up upgrade production , rent decent buildings for shows , run a full time schedule and give all the talents contracts . I understand Sinclair being risk adverse and protecting their stock holders . But you have to spend some money to make money .

Hopefully things will improve in the future .. They could start by buying a lighting rig and renting decent buildings . The Nashville venue is a dump , it is an old Golden Glove boxing venue. Also sign the best available talent. Stop trying to force establish pros to pay money to go to your training camps. Sign Taylor , Gargano , Matt Cage , etc. The fans want to see the best available talent , not the cheapest available talent . We will see what the rest of the year brings .

Just venting , I doubt Joe Koff cares enough to makew any positive changes .

Also sign the best available talent.

I think that's a touch too subjective really, one person's idea of the best talent isn't ever going to be universal. They could sign Timothy Thatcher, Drew Gulak, Chuck Talyor and bunch of names like that who would make a certain segment of the fanbase metaphorically cream themselves, but I'd sure quit watching in a hurry. It's as broad a blanket statement to me as "book good angles" as a solution, or my all time personal non-favourite "it could work, if done correctly."

They could start by buying a lighting rig and renting decent buildings . The Nashville venue is a dump , it is an old Golden Glove boxing venue.

How have ROH's show been drawing? It's hard to justify to anyone, let alone an alleged penny-pinching bean counter, to spend the extra coin to run another arena in Nashville if they can't even fill the one they're using now.

They could start by buying a lighting rig and renting decent buildings . The Nashville venue is a dump , it is an old Golden Glove boxing venue.

How have ROH's show been drawing? It's hard to justify to anyone, let alone an alleged penny-pinching bean counter, to spend the extra coin to run another arena in Nashville if they can't even fill the one they're using now.

ROH sells out every building they run , the company is averaging about 1 ,100 fans per show. Nashville is always full .

Don't blame TV companies. Sinclair has been a boon for ROH.

ROH wants more money? Go make it.

Sinclair broadcasting has given them an important safety net. It's up to ROH how high they can bounce.

Sinclair doesn't own the promotion after all.

Sinclair owns ROH , Joe Koff is a longftime Sinclair executive who worked with CWF in the 80's . Koff help put on the Battle of Belts shows. Koff knew Gary Juster who knew Jim Cornette , that how the deal got put together.

Most People , like Mark Madden , do not understand that Sinclair is three times than the WWE . They pay millions of dollars for these TV stations .Sinclair stock is worth almost 3 B . They don't have to go WCW crazy with money , but they could at least fix the production issues.

They were hurt by not being on IPPV for that show which I think was inexcusable to be honest.

I can say that Koff is not to blame here. He pushed for more money and didn't get it.

For Sinclair they see ROH as a way to fill tv time, with cheap in house programming. They don't try and grow ROH, because they don't care about building a wrestling company.

On the bright side, rumour (Meltzer) has it that they are bringing in 7 New Japan guys for the shows in May. Supposedly roughly the same level guys as last year, with a rumour (non-Meltzer) that it may actually be the exact same guys as last year.

I'm looking forward to my two nights in the T dot.

I don't know if ROH really could be on par with NXT, now that I have seen both products recently. I think the talent level in NXT is significantly higher, and I find the booking in ROH to be really flat, uninspired and unimaginative, in my opinion as a fan. I don't want to sound like your typical online fan/keyboard warrior, but based on things I have seen people write here on PWO, I think some of the members here could come up with better storylines and matchmaking than what ROH is doing right now. I just find their writing to be uninteresting.

They've lacked leadership with vision for a long time. If they had foresight 4 years ago they could have invested in better production, added or kept talent and been a stronger promotion.

Delirious seems like a mixed bag as a booker. He's competent but he feels like an interim coach more than the long term solution.

He put forward little to no effort on last years shows. If you are just happy to see him that's cool, but don't expect him to work hard.

I'll echo these thoughts. Plus another thing the NJ World has shown is his lack of working hard on the NJPW houseshows that air.

Super Card of Honor

ACH vs Mark Briscoe

We do a little back and forth. Some trash talking from ACH gets him in trouble. Not for long some more back and forth. Good to see Briscoe punish ACH for being too flashy. Briscoe working on top. We get a miscue and they go right back to it. Their timing seems a little off now. ACH's run around the ring spot makes no sense in a singles match. Briscoe has done a good job of grounding ACH. ACH delivers a nasty German suplex. Mark Briscoe's experience was the key for his win. I feel these guys have a better match in them. 2 1/2*

Elgin vs Kazarian

Kazarian is using his speed to keep Elgin off balance. Soon enough Elgin nails Kazarian with a power move that hurt Kazarian's neck. Elgin begins to start working the neck. Does a chair tie into the corner post. Kazarian is just fighting Elgin. Elgin cuts him off with a shot to the neck. Elgin does a flip leg drop from the top. The flip is really not needed. Kazarian catches him in a cross armbar. Deadlift german by Elgin. I really liked Elgin working the neck, but absolutely gave Kazarian too many hope spots to the point it dilluted the heat segment. Another solid match that could have been better. 2 1/2*

6 man Mayhem

Everett and Sydal start out super hot. We get some pairings. We get a little bit more of Alexander's heelness. Moose almost murders Everett. Several dives occur. Moose just potato tosses Sydal to the outside. Their are a lot of great moments in this match. Sydal steals a win. Super fun match. 3 1/4*

Jacobs vs Whitmer NO DQ

Brawl to start. Dueling chairs which I hate. Whitmer as a wrestler does nothing for me, but I like him as a bully character. We see tables, chairs and plunder involved in this brawl. This really isn't my cup of tea. I'm not a fan of choreographed brawling. 2*

Daniels vs Strong

I'm liking the start of this match. Both guys exchanging holds, and feeling each other out. Daniels working on top. Daniels misses a moonsault to the floor but lands on his feet. Strong counters with a back suplex on the apron. Strong targets the back and neck area. This was a nice meat and potato's match. 3 1/2*

reDragon vs The Kingdom

reDragon is my favorite tag team. I'm really digging this early on. The Kingdom is great at stooging, especially Taven. I love how Fish and O'Reilly have really cool ways to get to the arm.Kingdom starts their heat segment. O'Reilly is the FIP. They do a solid job working him over. Hot tag to Fish. Fish is all over them. Now both of reDragon are doing doubke team moves. Tom Lawler takes care of Maria. We get some momentum shifts. It's like free for all at this point. O'Reilly is selling big on the outside. Bennett and Fish pair off. KRD interferance and it backfires. Fish with a Falcon Arrow for 3. A super fun tag. 3 1/2*

Lethal vs Liger

I love Liger's intro. I love how the hardcores treat him like the legend he is. Liger working the mat. At age 50 he still can go. Lethal reacts well to Liger. Liger gets Lethal in an upside down surfboard and turns it into a punishing vertical chinlock. Liger focusing on the back. Now Liger ties Lethal up in a pretzel working a submission. Liger with a modified Indian Death Lock. Lethal to the outside and tricks Liger into a mistake. Lethal puts Liger in the barricade twice. Lethal's offense is pretty pedestrian. Koppo Kick by Liger gets some seperation. Strike exchange between the guys. Palm Strike on a missed Lethal Injection. Great nearfall by Lethal on the miss Liger dive. Lethal combination for a nearfall. Liger counters Lethal's dive into a nasty Brain Buster on the Floor. I'm not sure if Lethal's Brain Buster hurt more or Dylan's and Zellner's defeat on Johnny Sorrow's Brain Buster to Titans of Wrestling Kelly. We get a screw job finish. 2 1/4* Lethal really needs to learn to do some interesting when on top than just rely on his big moves. As a character he's great, but between the ropes he's got to keep things interesting between his token spots.

Jay Briscoe vs Samoa Joe

We start with some mat wrestling to work. Joe looks like he dung his ankle. Jay says fuck this and lets loose with strikes and Joe follows suit. Strike exchange, and then Jay hits a drop kick. Jay attempts a suplex to no avail. Jay tries softening him up and this time gets the suplex. We get a little hiccup and I think it's because of his injury. Joe's knee looks like it's in pain. Joe's using strikes to stay in control. Tope' by Joe to the outside. During the ole' Briscoe makes Joe eat a chair. Nice Joe counter on Briscoe's apron kick. Joe swings Briscoe into the guard rail. This time Joe gets the Ole' kick. Now we get back in the ring and we start building to something. I loved the power bomb turning into a Boston Crab, then into an STF, and then into something even nastier. Some more strike exchanges that ends with a nasty Joe kicking in Briscoes face. Joe signals for a Muscle Buster. Jay counters, then hits the Jay Driller. 3 1/2* Another good match on the card.

Overall, another good show that was missing a great match. ROH continues to deliver. Here though I felt the show didn't come across as any more special wrestling wise. The commentating in studio hurt the show since it drowned out the noise of the audience. Their were a couple of things that surprised me. One I thought ACH was going over Mark Briscoe. The other one I thought Moose would win the 6 man mayhem bout.

For Sinclair they see ROH as a way to fill tv time, with cheap in house programming. They don't try and grow ROH, because they don't care about building a wrestling company.

It's this that made me think Sinclair didn't own them out right. I've been corrected, but my thoughts still stand. ROH isn't going to get it from Sinclair. ROH has to create the growth.

They are obviously trying, with the ATL TV, ATL live event, saying hello to Spike, etc.. Not sure what would really get it into another level.

They're kinda missing a promoter at the moment. Sinclair's the bank, not the P right? TV and Wrestling has been a good bet in the past. TV running Wrestling, (WCW) not as much.

Maybe Sinclair is just making this relationship more clear. We TV, You Wrestling.. Let's not get mixed up on who does what ?