Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-02-23-WWF-The Main Event] Ultimate Warrior vs Dino Bravo / Hulk Hogan & Ultimate Warrior interviews

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Last few minutes. Compare the heat of this to Hogan/Savage if you want to see if Warrior is quite ready to replace Hogan on top. I realize Bravo isn't Randy Savage, but the point still stands. Warrior gets the pin and Earthquake and Bravo are doubleteaming Warrior when Hogan finally makes the save.

Warrior isn't happy to see Hogan out, but he must not realize that when babyfaces are about to have a match in the WWF, they spend a few weeks before it saving each other from heel beatdowns and then getting in arguments.

Later in the show, we get closing comments from both Hogan and Warrior. Warrior promos are just brutal to me. I can't even enjoy them in an ironic way, but I'm trying.

Nearly seven years later they re-used a lot of the stuff they did for Hogan/Warrior for Shawn/Sid. IE saving each other ,accidental hitting spots, arguments. Camp Cornette played the roles of Bravo (yuck) and Earthquake.

As Loss has mentioned in numerous threads for this yearbook Hogan was really unbearable at this point. For me personally this is the point where I started rooting against him. So yeah it took me to age 10 to finally turn on him. Others probably bailed earlier or never liked him to begin with

When the fuck did the Warrior develop a New England accent? "The Wahryah has felt the powah of Mahs...the powah of Mehcuree, pahking his cah in the Hahvahd yahhhhd..."

I'll wait until we see "Amanda" to get into this, but yes, this show illustrates the fundamental flaw that would ever prevent the Warrior from doing what Hogan did, or what Austin, Rock, and Cena did later on. Warrior gets the pin on Bravo but gets laid out by Earthquake afterward. As 'Quake prepares to deliver a splash from the turnbuckle, Hogan makes the save, much to the consternation of the Warrior who declares he doesn't need Hogan's help. Pull-apart follows.

Warrior's locker room shrine is pretty hilarious, and his post-match promo is still in its own little universe but a little more on-point. Problem is he really comes off as a heel instead of just an egomaniac babyface like Hogan. Abusing Okerlund, accusing Hogan of being afraid when Hogan said the opposite, questioning the faith of the Little Hulksters...why WOULD the Little Hulksters take to this guy?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank god we only get the finish here. I was dreading having to watch this. This would have given Soultaker/JYD a run for its money as Worst Match of the Week/Month/Year. Quake takes a nice bump off of Hogan's punch off the 2nd rope to the floor. Probably better than anything that actually took place in the match.

Hogan promo is a Hogan promo. "I'm going to watch the Ultimate Warrior's back 24 hours a day." I think that's called "stalking" in most states, pal.

Warrior promo was a Warrior promo.

• 1 month later...

Dino Bravo number one contender for IC Title. Side slam and Warrior hulks up and finishes him off. Bravo too gets up rather quickly after the pinfall as he joins up with Earthquake to double team Warrior.

Hogan says he will watch Warrior’s back for now as he wants him at his best come WrestleMania.

Warrior’s turn and Gene has that look on his face where he has no clue what Warrior is talking about. Warrior is so over the top. Hillarious.

• 4 months later...

This was used to build up for Mania with the accusations that Hogan was trying to steal Warrior's spotlight, when in reality he saved Warrior from being crushed by Earthquake. Hogan says he will watch Warrior's back 24/7 and I have no idea what Warrior says in his promo.

• 3 months later...

Christ, really? Warrior vs. Bravo? Serious?

Ok, just the finish. He hits the SIDE SLAM. Worst finisher ever imo, apart from Backlund's Atomic Drop.

Shite.

YES. Come on squash him Earthquake! Nooooo, nnoooo. Come on Earthquake. Get innnn. Big elbow. And again. Second rope splash ... Oh for fuck's sake. Fuck off Hogan.

I fucking hate these babyface wankers.

• 1 year later...

I'm becoming more and more convinced that they actually wanted to turn Warrior full-on heel and backed off at the last moment. Why? All he needed was a mouthpiece to make sense out of his gibberish and he would have been ideal. Have him beat Hogan at Mania VI, tear the WWF apart for a year, make it seem that there's no hope........and then, Hogan comes back and defeats him at Mania VII. Booking so easy Vince Sr. could do it from his grave. But as usual, Junior had to try and look smarter than everyone else, which led to babyface Warrior and Iraqi sympathizer Slaughter and damn near killed his business.

At any rate, I still have no idea what the man said in his promo, except that Hogan's afraid of him, the Chosen One. That might be his most coherent statement yet. Bravo could have been anyone here.

• 11 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-02-23-WWF-The Main Event] Ultimate Warrior vs Dino Bravo / Hulk Hogan & Ultimate Warrior interviews