Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-03-16-NWA-Power Hour] Louisville Slugger: Ole Anderson

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

There are so many things Ole Anderson can be criticized for, but his promos are not one of those. The way he calmly describes the horrible things he has in store for the Steiners is pretty chilling. They confirm that Arn Anderson is injured, but Ole seems to have a plan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not going to criticize Ole's promo, because I think it was good. But the problem is, it feels dated for this time period. It might have been more effective in the 70's or early 80's, but at this point, Ole Anderson, dressed in a polo shirt and slacks looking like your next door neighbor, calmly explaining that he's going to destroy the Steiners arm...I don't know, the presentation felt lacking to me. I could see where fans of this time period who didn't grow up watching Ole might not take him seriously.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Great promo, but if this leads to Enos and Bloom in masks as I believe it does, not much of a payoff. Why didn't they just have them come in as The Destruction Crew, same gimmick and all? Would Verne only loan them out if they were put under masks? Not sure if I'd have taken that deal if I'd been in Ole's shoes, as the Destruction Crew had at least been World champions, which I would have had JR reference, if not state outright. As it was, it might have been better for Ole to just concentrate on managing Flair onscreen, and to push the unmasked Doom and Teddy Long as the Steiners' next big challengers, as ultimately happened anyway.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Ole Anderson is the guest on the Louisville Slugger and Jim Cornette has heard that there’s been an injury to Arn Anderson and wonders how that will affect the vendetta against the Steiner Brothers? Ole says he figures that people will think they’re done and will just go home with their tail between their legs, but nobody stops the Andersons, nobody stops the Horsemen, not even the Steiners. He talks about how one time something happened to Gene, how he sacrificed his own brother to win the World Tag Team titles, as they both understood that when they went into that match the most important thing was coming away with those belts. Right now Arn also understands that, and right now the tag team belts happen to be on the Steiners. He knows that a lot of people make threats, a lot of people talk about what they can do, but he’s never told a lie in his life, the belts are more important than life itself and they’re going to take them from the Steiners.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-03-16-NWA-Power Hour] Louisville Slugger: Ole Anderson