Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-04-06-NWA-Power Hour] Louisville Slugger: Ric Flair & Woman

Loss

• 5 weeks later...

Woman is on a manhunt! They are out to find a replacement for the injured Arn Anderson. Cornette offers to "lease" the contracts of the MX to the Horsemen. Woman simply says that's an interesting proposition. As you can imagine, there were lots of politics with this that kept it from playing out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I didn't know this made TV, as Cornette's book made it sound more like a pitch he made than a direction they had started to go in. Anyway, this was fine but nothing more, I assume included more because it was mentioned in Cornette's book and because it's another example of the start/stop mentality WCW would become famous for.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The MX wouldn't have been nearly as interesting without Corny, so I'm glad this didn't happen. I probably would have formally ended the Horsemen right here, because Ole wasn't a full-time worker anymore without Arn and Flair didn't need the group. Even with the MX, they'd have still been one short, so it really wouldn't have made sense. Now, Flair and the MX with Corny using Woman as a valet has possibilities, but would Ole have completely stepped out of the picture as he would have needed to, at least on camera?

Sid would have been an interesting fourth, and when Arn and Barry return, you could have the reformed Horsemen kick the MX out, which would have led to a three-way feud with the MX, Sting and his friends, and the Horsemen. Even if you held off till the fall, the MX seem like much better feud partners for the Horsemen than Doom.

At any rate, this interview was kind of paint-by-numbers, right down to Corny's fruitless drooling over Woman, who was a much better promo when she was chasing Flair than she is now that she's caught him. JR could have done this better from the regular interview set.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

The guests on this week’s Louisville Slugger are the most influential woman in professional wrestling and the six time NWA Champion, Ric Flair and Woman. One of the reasons Cornette asked the ‘Nature Boy’ to be his guest, other than knowing that Woman would be with him, is that he wants to talk about the Four Horsemen. For a long time they’ve been the most influential and elite group in professional wrestling, but now, through unforeseen situations that they had no control over, you don’t have them at full strength due to the injury to Arn Anderson. Cornette wants to know what Ric Flair is going to do in order to bring the Horsemen back to full strength. He says that Woman is currently in charge of all future acquisitions and she’s on a manhunt. She’s got a bank book bigger than Dallas, she’s got brains, she’s got Ric Flair, and if she picked him, you know she’s going to pick another winner. Cornette says that he’s had some cash flow problems recently and he would be willing to lease Woman the contracts of the Midnight Express temporarily, providing the price is right, in order to bring the Horsemen back to their former glory. Woman thinks that it’s an interesting prospect and it’s very possible that they may do some business. He thanks them for being guest on the Louisville Slugger and wonders if Woman would like to have a later dinner tonight to discuss this big business deal they’re going to go through? She tells him that she’ll see him on Monday, much to Cornette’s disappointment!

I always enjoy these three together as I really like their interactions with one another, though despite this I’m not overly convinced on the Flair and Woman pairing. Her in charge of the Horsemen, pulling the strings, it just doesn’t work for me. This looks as though it is building to something, with Woman not outright quashing Cornette’s proposal, but I think it ends up going nowehere.

• 1 month later...

So is this where the Horsemen should have ended? Ole on his way out, Arn hurt, Flair in a battle with Luger for the title. I mean, it works, let Luger have his run as the champ while Sting is working his way back. Sting gets to have his revenge on Flair and Arn separately, Flair settles into more of a beloved babyface right at the top tier role and Arn is a gatekeeper for the up and coming babyfaces. It would have all worked, but I suppose politics and all.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-04-06-NWA-Power Hour] Louisville Slugger: Ric Flair & Woman