Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-12-08-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Rip Rogers vs Brian Pillman

Loss

• 3 months later...

I know the Rip Rogers matches had been pimped before, but they really didn't do anything for me at all. Totally overrated stuff. Give me Barry Horowitz anyday. The only thing I ever really enjoyed from Rip was his angle with Tim Horner in SMW with the hindu squats angle.

• 3 weeks later...

Another good match for these two in 1990. I think Rogers does real well in knowing his role and making himself an important ingredient in a match without overbearing or stealing the spotlight from the opponent. In the early going he takes all of Pillmans dives really well. His offense in this match looked good but was not too flashy to overpower Pillman's strengths. I did miss the short headbutts he had been throwing though. So far with Rogers he has seemed like someone that needs someone to go with him and he can produce a great match. When he has been with capable opponents, I have enjoyed the matches. I didn't like the Maritimes match because of the lack of stuff Rogers' opponent did.

Rogers interacts with the crowd a lot. When he cheats such as holding the ropes and the crowd yells about it, he yells back at then. Nice bit of interaction. Rogers isn’t much of a threat but he makes for a good TV guy to put someone over. Pillman’s drop kick to Rogers on the turnbuckle was impressive.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yet another surprisingly good TV match from Rogers. He and Pillman meshed quite well, and while Brian was in no real danger of losing, Rogers still looked like he could beat any man in WCW on any given day. My favorite spot was when Rip was too busy yelling at the cameraman to notice Brian coming up behind him and got nailed by a haymaker. JR had the line of the match as Rogers got tossed back into the ring: "There's no one in his way now!"

JR really harped on Pillman's football background here, as we now learn that he played for the Bills and was a Playboy All-American at Miami of Ohio. (Actually, he was a legit second-team All-American, but he got cut by the Bills in the 1985 preseason before he could play for them.) The problem is, he's still going into a bit too much detail that doesn't really translate into getting these guys over as wrestlers. Talking about Pillman's Bengals career is okay, since he still had friends on the team at the time, was from Cincinnati, and wore striped tights, possibly as a tribute to the team. Other than that, it falls into the category of putting over Butch Reed as an NAIA All-American: true enough, but a bit of a reach to being up in a wrestling context.

I liked Bob's line comparing the Scorpion to Milli Vanilli. My question is: Did he come up with it on his own? He really doesn't seem hip enough to know who Milli Vanilli is, but these old guys can surprise you sometimes.

When did they change Dick the Bruiser's role at Starrcade? JR clearly states here that he's going to referee the O'Connor tournament finals, but he ends up as the ref in the main event instead. I'm wondering if New Japan might have objected to having Muta and Saito in a match with a guest referee, but I can't imagine why they would.

I liked Bob's line comparing the Scorpion to Milli Vanilli. My question is: Did he come up with it on his own? He really doesn't seem hip enough to know who Milli Vanilli is, but these old guys can surprise you sometimes.

This was less than a month after Milli Vanilli's Grammy got stripped. The story was on literally everyone's lips.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-12-08-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Rip Rogers vs Brian Pillman