Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-02-09-USWA-Memphis TV] Eddie Marlin, Jamie & Bill Dundee

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Eddie Marlin interrupts a match Jamie Dundee is refereeing because he's doing such a horrible job. Jamie says Eddie can't fire him, because Max Andrews is the one who hired him. Dundee comes out and says Jamie should just quit. Bill tells him to go work at McDonald's or something. Jamie says he lives in his own house and pays his own bills, and doesn't have to do what his Dad says anymore. Jamie even says this is why his mama left Bill! Bill pulls off his belt and WHIPS HIS SON ON LIVE TELEVISION to the crowd's delight! Oh my God! I am completely shocked. Wow. Memphis.

• 4 weeks later...

Dan Davis has Steve Austin pinned in the ring, but Jamie Dundee is busy conferring with Jeannie in the corner. A disgusted Eddie Marlin calls for the bell and browbeats Dundee in public--he's not ready to referee and he OBVIOUSLY wasn't ready to be a wrestler, either. But, Jamie is an employee of the USWA hired by Max Andrews, not an employee of Eddie Marlin's. After a back-and-forth, Bill Dundee declares that Jamie just quit. Jamie disagrees with this assertion as well and this gets personal quick--Bill suggests McDonald's as a line of work, Jamie reminds his dad why Mom left. This ends with a SPANKING, as Dundee takes off his belt and teaches his son a lesson.

Intrigue! I so want to see a Max Andrews vs. Eddie Marlin microphone battle.

• 3 weeks later...

Jamie Dundee is not doing a good job of referring as he’s more interesting in chatting with Jeanne then counting pinfalls. Eddie Marlin has a fit and has the match stopped. Jamie says he can’t be fired. Dad says that Jamie should go ahead and quit. Take his referee shirt off and go get a job at McDonalds. Bill with some great fatherly advice. Bill ends up disciplining Jamie by spanking him repeatedly with a belt! What a fun end to this segment.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have only a vague memory of what Max Andrews even looks like. I dont think he ever once showed up in Memphis.

And thus begins the run of J.C. Ice Baby. I never understood his appeal. I remember going to spot shows and the college aged girls would be screaming "Fuck Me, JC, Fuck Me!!!"

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This was a well-done segment, but they really risked turning Bill heel here accidentally. If a son isn't living in his father's house, he isn't under the father's thumb. The Marlin stuff was a little more understandable, since it's well-established the Eddie makes the rules in Memphis, but the father-son confrontation should have gone another way. If you really want to heel Jamie, either have him haul off and slap Bill or bring a heel wrestler out to blindside him and have Jamie cheer the heel on. The Dirty White Boys, who took the rechristened JC Ice under their wing as we saw later, would have been perfect for that.

They ended up making the heel turn stick effectively by bringing out Jamie with the DWBs the following week, but I'll bet some of the younger fans went home (or turned off their TVs at the end of the show) siding with him that day.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-02-09-USWA-Memphis TV] Eddie Marlin, Jamie & Bill Dundee