Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-05-03-CMLL] Los Brazos vs El Dandy & Popitekus & Super Astro

Loss

• 2 months later...

El Dandy is alive! That his boots say NWA on them is super cool to me for some reason. Dandy is remarkably athletic, and Super Porky does perhaps the most exaggerated sell of a tope in wrestling history to close out the first fall. There's lots of comedy here. It's not the best match, but it's a really charming match, which is how I'd describe all the Brazos matches in 1991 so far.

All I know I was smiling through out this match. We have Dandy and Brazo De Oro tearing it up on the mat. Super Astro with some beautiful high spots. Porky and Porpetekus bringing the comedy was gold. That Sumo spot was hilarious. As a match for pure entertainment it gets high marks.

This is worked technico v. technico and is a pretty sweet version of that classic lucha formula. We get a first fall of indvidual matchups, all of them were solid, with the highlight being the Super Porky v. Popitekus battle of the Rhino's. They smash into each other and it looks like a compact car crash. 1991 may have been the point where Porky's fatness intersected with his agility perfectly, and you could tell he was inspired to match up with fellow elephantine highflyer Popitekus The second fall mixes up the match ups and ends with one of the greatest dive trains in wrestling history, Super Astro leads it off with his crazy somersault senton, then we get topes from El Brazo, Dandy, and Brazo De Oro, each one knocking the receiver into the seats, then Popitekus unloads a tope which looked like Superman threw a couch at a group of robbers. Then to finish it off, Porky hits a plancha which felt like Superman added the refrigerator. The third fall was fun although anything would have a hard time following up that train. Porky's silla to win the match was a sight to see though, can you imagine the smell?

The dive train was about the greatest thing ever. It would take a coldhearted bastard to complain about a match that pitted prime Super Porky against Popitekus. The Brazos have dominated the lucha on the yearbook to date, which has led to a very different feel than we got in 1990 with all the Dandy-Satanico stuff. But I'm never sorry when they come on the screen.

I'll be the relative downer on this. There were plenty of nice moments, from some incredible athletic spots from Super Astro to the dive train to the sumo showdown between Super Popi and Super Porky. Plus the World of Sport atmosphere with all the handshaking contributed to the unique vibe of this match. But there were also a lot of slow spots like Brazo sitting in a figure four for an eternity not doing much. This was another match that would have been far more effective at 2/3 or even half the length that it went.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Kind of agree with Pete. This was charming but I have liked other Brazo efforts more than this one. I did like seeing Dandy re emerge but it was sad to see that he kind of felt like a bit piece. Popitekus was my highlight as he had great agility for someone his size flying around in this one. Fun stuff but didn't quite hit the entire mark with me.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I finally found a trios match that I dug from start to finish. The Brazos surprised me by matching agility with both Astro and Dandy, and the fat man stuff with Popitekus and Porky was fun as well, particularly when they tried to slam each other, with Popitekus being successful The succession of dives to end the second fall was tremendous, as was Porky's flying Thesz press to pin Popitekus at the end. I can't say that Porky is the most athletic big man I've ever seen, but he's definitely one of the few I've ever seen that looks totally at home on the top rope.

I also agree with Soup about the cartoons. At least Mexico's honest about presenting wrestling in this manner; Vince preaches that the WWF is kid-friendly on the one hand and has five hundred pound guys squashing snakes and people being locked in caskets for five minutes on the other.

This wasn't exactly Flair/Steamboat. but to write it off completely as a comedy match is doing it a disservice. There was a lot of serious athleticism on display here.

• 2 years later...

Loved this. After all of the serious stuff before it, we get a match filled with comedy and athletic spots. That dive train was absolutely tremendous and the plancha by Super Porky was awesome. I'm really not a lucha comedy guy, but Super Porky always puts a smile on my face.

• GSR changed the title to [1991-05-03-CMLL] Los Brazos vs El Dandy & Popitekus & Super Astro