Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling Culture Podcast Episode 35!

Dylan Waco

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkC...2658&cmd=tc

ROUNDTABLE TIME! Dave moderates a discussion on the people I consider the best three U.S. born wrestlers in history Terry Funk, Jerry Lawler and Ric Flair. In Funk's corner - ME. In Flair's corner - Charles. In Lawler's corner - Will. We debate the pro's of each man's greatest of all time argument, the common complaints against them, other guys who sometimes get mentioned on their level, the most interesting feuds of each man, and what the 80's sets and other footage based projects have taught us about each man. Dave and Will have an inappropriate joke contest, Will attacks Canadians multiple times, I mention Buddy Rose for no reason and Charles apologizes in advance for making an interesting point about Bret Hart and his fans. We end the show with promises of new things related to this board and a SMOOCHFEST. Come feel the love with us.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was really good and, basically, exactly the show I want to be listening to.

I am very pleased about the announcement at the end there too, but just saying, just saying, I called it back in November 2011:

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=5489006

And then got it spot on in May last year:

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=5504566

Everyone no selling Will's "16 year-olds" joke during the "logging more miles" bit is sad.

Will's giant out of breath rant at 1 hour 55 mins is fucking hilarious. Breaking dishes while ranting out of breath....

Oh, and the big problem with the Flair/Morton feud was that no one thought Morton ever had a chance in hell of becoming World Champ . I remember loving the Horsemen beating Morton up, the promos ruled, the matches were great...but it felt like Flair was always gonna win the end, and he did. There was never any doubt.

I've only listened to the first half so far, but what I've heard has been truly outstanding. One thing I want to chime in on is Dylan's best in the world from the late 70s to the early 80s talking point. He mentioned the lack of lucha footage, but I think the European workers and even Joshi girls get overlooked in that time frame.

I've only listened to the first half so far, but what I've heard has been truly outstanding. One thing I want to chime in on is Dylan's best in the world from the late 70s to the early 80s talking point. He mentioned the lack of lucha footage, but I think the European workers and even Joshi girls get overlooked in that time frame.

Very true. I actually thought about starting a thread for the time frame in question where I would try and formulate a top twenty-five but I got lazy. Breaks of course is someone who would do very well for me during that period.

Will's giant out of breath rant at 1 hour 55 mins is fucking hilarious. Breaking dishes while ranting out of breath....

I should probably do something about that.

Oh, and the big problem with the Flair/Morton feud was that no one thought Morton ever had a chance in hell of becoming World Champ . I remember loving the Horsemen beating Morton up, the promos ruled, the matches were great...but it felt like Flair was always gonna win the end, and he did. There was never any doubt.

Right, but before that feud, I never thought Morton was on Flair's level. After the feud, I always thought Morton could go toe to toe with Flair.

Very true. I actually thought about starting a thread for the time frame in question where I would try and formulate a top twenty-five but I got lazy. Breaks of course is someone who would do very well for me during that period.

I'd like to see that top 25. There probably isn't enough footage from the era for anyone to compete with the status that Funk, Flair and Lawler have, but there were at least 50 good-to-great workers in Europe at the time which adds depth to the argument.

I'd like to see that top 25. There probably isn't enough footage from the era for anyone to compete with the status that Funk, Flair and Lawler have, but there were at least 50 good-to-great workers in Europe at the time which adds depth to the argument.

Real question is do I go 77-84 which is the time frame I usually talk about or 76-85 to make it ten years.

Can't wait to see what comes of this as this era is rarely talked about and is pretty interesting to me. Is there a working list yet? Or at least a figurative top ten? How do u feel about guys like mulligan and the desyroyer, would they make the list? Maybe a cool comp could come out of this with random matches or footage