Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling Culture Podcast Episode 35!

Dylan Waco

Memphis' crowds went down for some reason in the mid 80's while Lawler was still on top so I'm curious at why that happened. One theory I had is once Jimmy Hart left the territory was never the same as he was the perfect protagonist with Lawler. There were successful periods in Memphis after that for sure but it was never as consistent as it was before Hart left.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got my computer going again so I can chime in on this thread.

Thanks to everyone who listened to the show.

And there is one crucial piece that I wanted to add during the show to decide the debate but didn't get to:

Who had the best guest interview segment?

1) Funker's Grill

2) Flair For The Gold

3) King's Court

My money is actually with the Funker on this one

I've listened to most of the show and have really enjoyed it. These podcasts rule.

To answer Dave's question: I have never been a fan of the King's Court all that much to be honest. Lawler is funny and all but after watching the 94 yearbook I got sick of the segment. That'd be last. I've only seen a few Flair For The Gold's but I enjoyed them. I'm ashamed to say I've never seen Funk's segment. For a Hales, that's unacceptable.

Neither here nor thre, I actually really love Lawler on commentary in 93. The Magistrator is often hilarious and he had really good chemistry with Vince and Savage. Don't get me wrong: The heel color guy in Superstars is its own thing. You have a role that's completely different than getting over the psychology and excitement in longer matches. He was very well suited for that role, though.

Funk's Grill is the best interview segment out of the three, though. I love slumming Arn on the stool in Flair for the Gold, but that doesn't make it effective or anything. I think my favorite Funk's Grill is the one with Missy Hyatt.

If it means JVK ranks Lawler third, I'll take it.

Is that your finisher? "The Texan Rib"

Everyone knows in Texas, a rib isn't a joke... it's dinner.

Plus, my finisher would be the Belt Buckle.

Since you are from Texas I thought it would be an intestinal virus, toxic shock syndrome or and indictment for possession of pain killers

Since you are from Texas I thought it would be an intestinal virus, toxic shock syndrome or and indictment for possession of pain killers

Post of The Decade

Post of The Decade

If I challenged the legitimacy of this statement, would you secede from the board?

Post of The Decade

If I challenged the legitimacy of this statement, would you secede from the board?

Not sure if this is a joke about my Quebec wrestling fetish vis a vis Mad Dog Lefevbre and Pat's new book, my politics, or my geographical location.

In any event the answer is no. I am a free speech absolutist even when it's wrong.

I'm half way through and this has been awesome. Haven't watched a lot of wrestling in the last few months and this podcast has me wanting to rewatch tons of stuff.

One question. You guys talked about footage being available for Funk vs Harley in 75' and a 30 minute hair match between Lawler and Dundee. Where can I find these matches? Are there anywhere online (I'm completely broke at the moment and couldn't afford a comp right now). Any help would be appreciated.

Yea the reason i like podcasts like these are because it makes you want to seek out footage or learn about certain guys, territories, matches, etc. I really liked Goodwill wrestling for that reason as i thought Will brought the knowledge and info without being too snarky and self serving. Will comes off as a laid back dude who shoots the shit kind of like me so maybe that helps.

Absolutely fascinating podcast. This was my first ep so I look forward to going through previous episodes. Could listen to you guys insights all day, particularly Dylan's. Educational.

For me it's Flair > Funk > Lawler though I'm still in that 'Flair the unimpeachable' stage of my life and I'm sure I will change in some way as soon as I grab one of the sets.

• 2 weeks later...

This was also my first Wrestling Culture podcast and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great discussion that left me wanting to go back and watch footage of all three guys. I can't wait to check out further episodes. I just wish that I could suscribe to this podcast with my phone app that I use for all my other podcasts.