Pro Wrestling Only

Guys who got away with being bad

goc

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has Raven been mentioned in this thread?

No, because Raven is really good.

Has Spike Dudley been mentioned in this thread ?

Unlike you I wasn't trolling.

Raven sucks shit and has forever. The idea that he is "really good" now is especially ridiculous.

The idea of Spike Dudley being a good worker sounds equally as ridiculous to me. The idea of Jimmy Golden being anything but a horribly boring and dull worker is equally as ridiculous. The idea that Vince McMahon is worth anything as a worker is equally ridiculous to me. So no, I'm not trolling any less than you are. During my ECW watch I would end up FF Spike's matches after some time because he was so unbearable to me. Everything about him sucked to me, and he was only bearable when he was thrown into the crowd by Bam Bam. I'd be happy to never watch another match involving Spike Dudley in my life. So yeah, he's a good candidate for this thread from where I stand.

So yeah, I think Raven is a good worker, absolutely great at taking and selling a beating, and overall really fun to watch.

(EDIT : and if that makes me having horrible taste in wrestling, no problem, I love my horrible taste at this point)

You take it personally whenever Raven gets brought up which is why you mentioned Spike. Even if we all pretended Spike sucked his career was tiny in comparison to Raven's. I thought Raven was fine as an act in WCW. In ECW he was just trash, with every match as an overbooked clusterfuck, and poor and uninteresting work even by "garbage" standards. Post-WCW Raven I really can't imagine anyone being high on. Pre-ECW Raven? Well I guess Johnny Polo was funny, but I don't think he was very good as Scotty Flamingo.

Spike is a shitty candidate for this thread because he wasn't around nearly long enough to fit even if you thought he was god awful. It's a obvious troll and typically shitty one from you.

In all honesty, and although everything I said about Spike is exactly what I think, my first reply was more of an in-joke, but I guess it didn't come through that way because I didn't use a freaking smiley. Dry humour doesn't work apparently. Once you got back with "especially ridiculous", yeah, I kinda took it personnal which is why I mentionned Golden (who is more dull than bad, although he was actively bad at times too in WCW) and McMahon (who sucks but I don't even consider him a worker anyway).

And despite not being around for too long, I don't think Spike has never been any good, so there it is.

(Glad you finally used Spike and shitty in the same sentence though...)

How does Crush vs. Savage at Mania X hold up? I haven't watched it in years, but that's a decent match in my mind.

I'd like to nominate three people: Thunderbolt Patterson, Porkchop Cash and Pez Whatley -- basically any black guy who danced, shucked and jived in the mid-70s and got a 10+ year career out of it. They tend to be awful. Like really bad.

I hope Ernie Ladd never danced.

If I was George Scott coming into a locker room with my new list of rules for the promotion, rule number 1 would be "no dancing".

Ladd has probably got the best leg drop I've ever seen.

Whatley is my least favourite of those dancing jive-soul-bro 70s guys, because he turns heel and STILL dances. Heels don't dance ok Shaska.

I've only seen Patterson and Cash cropping up here and there but they are never anything better than awful, they make JYD look good.

RE: Baba -

I've seen a lot of bad Baba matches after 1984. The AWA stuff - the Andre tags - The Road Warriors working half speed w/ Baba right after smashing Jumbo up at car crash speed, etc. I need to find some of this touted stuff.

I linked to two of them.

No one is saying Baba was GREAT~! or that he didn't have matches that were dogs.

The Andre stuff sucked, but how much of that was the pairing? It came in 1990 & 1991 between his surprisingly fun pairing with Rusher in the 1989 Tag League on one side and on the other side his (i) surprisingly fun 1992 pairing with Kobashi in the Tag League and (ii) surprisingly fun pairing with Hansen in the 1993 Tag League, along with assorted other tags in the 1993-95 period. Was he in with a lot of great workers? Sure. Did Baba help contribute to those matches being good? Yeah.

John

RE: Baba -

I've seen a lot of bad Baba matches after 1984. The AWA stuff - the Andre tags - The Road Warriors working half speed w/ Baba right after smashing Jumbo up at car crash speed, etc. I need to find some of this touted stuff.

I linked to two of them.

No one is saying Baba was GREAT~! or that he didn't have matches that were dogs.

The Andre stuff sucked, but how much of that was the pairing? It came in 1990 & 1991 between his surprisingly fun pairing with Rusher in the 1989 Tag League on one side and on the other side his (i) surprisingly fun 1992 pairing with Kobashi in the Tag League and (ii) surprisingly fun pairing with Hansen in the 1993 Tag League, along with assorted other tags in the 1993-95 period. Was he in with a lot of great workers? Sure. Did Baba help contribute to those matches being good? Yeah.

John

Baba was as big of a part in the 1994 Tag Tournament as anyone else. In fact, he was probably the biggest part. Take out Baba and those matches wouldn't have been as memorable.

Bulldog Bob Brown is somewhat of a local legend in my area (Wichita KS/Central States). Anyone age 50 and up mentions him every time the subject of wrestling comes up.

Judging by what I've seen, he's pretty terrible.

A former co-worker about 15 years ago bragged to me that he bought his couch from Brown. To my knowledge, the couch is the only thing Bulldog ever sold.

Baba was as big of a part in the 1994 Tag Tournament as anyone else. In fact, he was probably the biggest part. Take out Baba and those matches wouldn't have been as memorable.

I think he was a big part of the 1993 tourney more than the 1994 one, just for the 11/30/93 being the turn around of what looked like a disappointing and doomed Tag League. :)

Thunderbolt Patterson

Have you seen much of T-Bolt?

He's around quite a lot in 85 sort of time tagging with the likes of Rocky King on Will's mammoth Four Horsemen set. He was tagging with Ole, and they break the team up and Ole turns heel.

Then I seem to recall him turning up in the early 90s in WCW for some god-unknown reason. I think he's at one of the Legends Slamboree shows too as late as 93-4.

He looked TERRIBLE in all of these appearances.

I understand that's past his prime, but I always think that if someone was a good worker, you see shades of that in them as an older worker. Obviously there are exceptions to that idea (see Flair, Ric), but it's hard to believe that Patterson was ever good. His rep is as a guy who could work the mic, kind of like a proto-type JYD.

Rufus R. Jones I've seen less of. I seem to recall him at one of the early Starrcades but he's not the sort of guy who makes DVDR top 150 sets, and I don't recall him being around much in the jobber matches on the Horsemen set. Whatever the case, I don't remember him standing out in any way or being very impressed by him, but then again I kinda assumed he was like a Crockett version of S.D. Jones -- just a low JTTS or high-class jobber really.

Bulldog Bob Brown is somewhat of a local legend in my area (Wichita KS/Central States). Anyone age 50 and up mentions him every time the subject of wrestling comes up.

Judging by what I've seen, he's pretty terrible.

A former co-worker about 15 years ago bragged to me that he bought his couch from Brown. To my knowledge, the couch is the only thing Bulldog ever sold.

Bulldog Bob Brown is a good candidate as far as I'm concerned. Seemed really bad in this stuff I saw him in from Central States. Which is such an awful territory. When two of the biggest "Central States guys" are Bulldog Bob Brown and Rufus R. Jones you know it's a shitty territory.