Pro Wrestling Only

Guys who got away with being bad

goc

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate Kamala. What bugged me as a kid above all else was - how did he not know to roll a guy onto his back for a pin after hundreds of matches, yet paint a complex pattern on his face perfectly every day.

Would rather watch 1000 IRS matches than any "high end" Kamala match, and I dislike Rotundo in any situation.

Any wrestler worth their salt is good at their role. There's been hundreds of good workers in the history of professional wrestling. It's not some rare thing that only a few people get right. And the aging thing is nonsense. If all things were equal it would be a fair point, but they're not. Villano III is a broken down shell of a worker, if he can even work these days at all, but that doesn't mean he "got it" any less than Navarro or Terry or Solar or Casas or Panther.

This.

I think the main point about in-ring Rotunda is that while he's boring-as-fuck 90% of the time, he was a guy who could have a really good night on occasion.

Out-of-ring, well it's tastes. I get a kick out of him bullying Rick Steiner in his whiny nerdy voice, or telling fans they haven't paid their taxes in his whiny nerdy voice. He was a consummate douche. I like the way he didn't have music as IRS and he walked down the aisle trashing the fans using some bureaucratic-sounding language. I think he stands out as being really different in a market saturated by shouty muscle heads. He's one of the few wrestlers of that era who I believe actually went to classes at university.*

As far as masochism goes, I wouldn't watch 1000 matches of ANY wrestler, at least not uninterrupted by a ton of other stuff.

* On this, someone should write a sitcom based in West Texas State. Imagine a seminar group with the class of 74.

I hate Kamala. What bugged me as a kid above all else was - how did he not know to roll a guy onto his back for a pin after hundreds of matches, yet paint a complex pattern on his face perfectly every day.

Would rather watch 1000 IRS matches than any "high end" Kamala match, and I dislike Rotundo in any situation.

Huh? I'm sorry that has to be one of the most mind boggling things I have ever read. How did a wild man from the jungles of Africa understand how to create his own tribal markings as opposed to the rules of a sport that he wasn't bought in to win but merely to maim and destroy? That's like saying how come someone of asian descent can have so much trouble pronoucing an 'r' sound after speaking english for decades.

Not for nothing Kamala is my most favorite stooge character of all time. I love him as a gatekeeper to the main event, and I never once thought to myself "He should do more wrestling holds" It just worked as far as I was concerned.

RE: Brian Christopher. - I knew tha would be a rough choice but I just have never been able to get into him he seemed to be trying too hard. But that's my opinion.

Huh? I'm sorry that has to be one of the most mind boggling things I have ever read. How did a wild man from the jungles of Africa understand how to create his own tribal markings as opposed to the rules of a sport that he wasn't bought in to win but merely to maim and destroy? That's like saying how come someone of asian descent can have so much trouble pronoucing an 'r' sound after speaking english for decades.

I didn't think that deeply into it as a 9 year old, but happy to set the standard for mind-boggling.

Has Stevie Ray been mentionned ? He never, ever improved a bit from the day he showed up in 1993 to the day he retired. He did make Booker look like a great worker in comparison for a while though, so he served a purpose as far as "make someone look good", although not in the traditionnal sense.

Don Muraco was the first one that came to mind for me. He had a pretty long run in the WWF from 81-88 and held the Intercontinental Championship twice to boot. All of that despite the fact that I have always found him just incredibly boring to watch. I'm sure there are worst offenders but Muraco is who comes to mind for me at the moment. That dude is the cure for insomnia.

Has Stevie Ray been mentionned ? He never, ever improved a bit from the day he showed up in 1993 to the day he retired. He did make Booker look like a great worker in comparison for a while though, so he served a purpose as far as "make someone look good", although not in the traditionnal sense.

So Stevie Ray is the ugly girl that the pretty popular girl hangs out with to make herself look even prettier?

So Stevie Ray is the ugly girl that the pretty popular girl hangs out with to make herself look even prettier?

Exactly ! That's really well put actually.

I know we're mostly looking at wrestlers here, but I had this thought the other night while talking about Paul Bearer....did anyone ever really like Brother Love? Because I thought he always sucked, and he was onscreen on and off seemingly forever.

I wish there was a breakdown of WWE quarterly ratings somewhere to show who consistently gained or lost the most viewers in their segments. I would imagine Brother Love would be high on the list of channel changers.

Yeah, usually the only time Hulk Hogan ever actually did anything on Superstars was on the Brother Love show. Say what you will about the guy, but once every few months they'd throw a hot angle on the Brother Love Show, to where it trained fans not to skip it since something could happen.

I know we're mostly looking at wrestlers here, but I had this thought the other night while talking about Paul Bearer....did anyone ever really like Brother Love? Because I thought he always sucked, and he was onscreen on and off seemingly forever.

He fucking sucked. 100% lock to get me to reach for the:

Posted Image

John