Guys who got away with being bad

goc

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Fuji

Is it sacrilege to say Baba after 84??

Was Baba really put in a ton of positions past that point where he "had to be good" and not just some dude?

It's one of the things I find fascinating about him as a booker. He actually got out of the way at some point more or less, which is pretty rare.

Steve McMichael got away with being awful forever even as a member of the horsemen.

The thing that people forget about McMicheal, is that he was a banged up 39 years old ex-football player when he debuted. He was an old rookie thrown on live TV every week, it's not like he could have been that much better unless he was some kind of miracle worker. I mean, most wrestler suck during their very early years, only rare exceptions are very good from the get go like Akiyama, Owen or Mika Akino. I always thought he did pretty decently considering those factors. Yes, he wasn't good, but in a tag setting paired up with guys like Arn, Benoit or Jarrett, he did well enough to me. Plus he had charisma and a strong personnality so he didn't look out of place. He wrestled for what, two years and a half ?

On the other hand, Brian Knobbs was trained the old fashion way (I mean as opposed as going through the terrible Power Plant), got though territories, worked a thousands of matches and yet was still as clueless, awkward and dangerous after 15 years.

I'd say Brian Christopher. Hey got away for a very long time being mediocre to bad at best because he was Jerry's kid.

This feels like we're getting into the territory of "name guys I don't like" now. Brian Christopher is definitely not up there with the likes of Jay Strongbow, Blackjack Mulligan or Ox Baker where you almost NEVER saw them do anything good. The point of this thread was to name guys who were ON TOP or near it that had long runs while never being good. Guys like the Harris Bros or Mongo don't really fit the criteria.

I'd say Brian Christopher. Hey got away for a very long time being mediocre to bad at best because he was Jerry's kid.

Steve McMichael got away with being awful forever even as a member of the horsemen.

Mcmichael wasn't bad at all for what he was. Really great natural charisma decent power offense and had a fun feud with wcw era jarrett. I think he had a fun Goldberg match too and the Kevin Greene tag was fun.

Christopher is Memphis personified much like Jamie dundee but not as good and that's why I fucking live him. I never thought of him as actively bad or anything

I almost feel like this is such a stock "internet smark" answer but at this point Great Khali has been in WWE since 2006. He's had no more than a handful of matches that you could even call "good." It's to the point where "who had a better match with Khali" gets trotted out when people are comparing top guys in WWE.

I almost feel like this is such a stock "internet smark" answer but at this point Great Khali has been in WWE since 2006. He's had no more than a handful of matches that you could even call "good." It's to the point where "who had a better match with Khali" gets trotted out when people are comparing top guys in WWE.

On the flipside, my thinking is that for such an immobile guy, he has had an astonishing number of good matches. An advantage of the over-saturation of wrestling on WWE TV, I guess. But once you add up all of the guys who have dragged something out of him over the years - Taker, Cena, Umaga, Hunter, Jeff, Shawn, Sheamus, Dolph, Henry, Finlay, just off the top of my head, and I think it adds up to more than a handful.