Pro Wrestling Only

Reid Flair dead at 24

Bix

I think Dave was saying more that Reid wrestling in Japan was a safe haven since he was being supervised practically 24/7 and was away from the friends back home he did drugs with. He was worried about Reid coming home and possibly falling into the same habits, and that seems to be what happend.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's sad when anyone dies for any reason, especially a 24 year old kid. What's even sadder is when the kid needed help & neither of his parents got it for him, that's the tragedy in this imo. Time will tell on whether drugs is actually what caused this to happen or not, I'm not saying it was/is, however the kid needed help w/ his addiction, that much was crystal clear. I hope is father, mother, brother & sister find peace & closure but I'm sure it will be a tough, tough road.

I think that's some unfair speculation, to be honest. We're not in a position here to guess whether people tried to help or not or anything, and personally I'd rather people didn't speculate.

Agreed. I think it's in bad tastes, at least when he just died yesterday.

How do you know that they didn't try to get him help?

Because that like everything else in these peoples lives would have been all over the tv, internet, message boards, dressing rooms on nc indies where Im at constantly & everywhere else people talk & gossip.

Bruce Mitchell is too and he said he has been in serious lock down style rehab in the past. Meltzer used to refer to a serious monthly outgoing Ric had that was personal that stretched him financially on a month to month type basis.

I think that's some unfair speculation, to be honest. We're not in a position here to guess whether people tried to help or not or anything, and personally I'd rather people didn't speculate.

Agreed. I think it's in bad tastes, at least when he just died yesterday.

your all correct, my comments were of bad taste & I apologize if they offended anyone. this whole situation is horrible.

Because that like everything else in these peoples lives would have been all over the tv, internet, message boards, dressing rooms on nc indies where Im at constantly & everywhere else people talk & gossip.

Bruce Mitchell is too and he said he has been in serious lock down style rehab in the past. Meltzer used to refer to a serious monthly outgoing Ric had that was personal that stretched him financially on a month to month type basis.

Reid was in two different "lock down" type facilities at different points.

Reid was in two different "lock down" type facilities at different points.

How are we defining "lock down," the most barebones hardcore rehab possible or Ric & Beth having him involuntarily committed?

Guest Nell Santucci

Anyway you spin it, no one on this board knows how it feels to walk in the shoes of being the son of Ric Flair.

With all due respect, it's more likely that being the son of Ric Flair meant having the money and status to live above the law (like doing heroin) than it had to do with his feeling he had a chip on his shoulder about that, though of course, one could have both. Consider Hulk Hogan's son. Nick is obviously someone who feels no moral obligation towards anyone or anything and always felt he was above the law because of his father, the money that his father had, and the status that came with being Hogan's son. It's not unusual for "rich kids" to be raised with no moral grounding to temper their excesses. The Von Erich boys were classic cases of that, between drugs, abusing animals, and reckless driving. Alas, we all have our vices, and heroin is on the top list of the least desirable vices to have. It's too bad too because Reid seemed like a good amateur (at least in middle school).

Guest Nell Santucci

I watched the following documentary back in 2011 and was appalled by the horrendous effects of heroin use. Its impact is devastating for recovering addicts. I was most struck by the blonde lost soul who was vomiting in a bathroom as some gay guy took advantage of his addiction by using him for sex. Some have said that cigarette addiction is tougher than heroin, but I don't believe that to be the case at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yt4Mmn7ofI

EDIT: Recidivism rate for heroin addiction is 90%: http://www.peele.net/lib/mercer.php [.] I wouldn't cite this website normally, but I heard that 90% number in that documentary as well, which was made in the 90's.

It's too bad that he got addicted to heroin and died because he once seemed like a good amateur? That's really the root of the tragedy for you?

Oh man, get off your high horse here. I doubt that is what he is saying at all. But not everyone can be deeply profoundly devastated about this. Did you know Reid Flair personally? Or the Flair family? It's okay to be sad about this, but don't try to twist things around to imply that everyone else should be the same way or else they are unfeeling soulless robots. Reid Flair had problems with heroin. He died. It sucks but that's what happens in many cases of deeply disturbed drug addicts.

For the record, I've sat next to a really good friend who died on the couch and I did not even know it, and it turned out he overdosed on heroin that he injected in the bathroom prior to sitting down next to me. I know seeing firsthand the horrors of drug overdose, and I was not running out to deify the guy.

Guest Nell Santucci

It's too bad that he got addicted to heroin and died because he once seemed like a good amateur? That's really the root of the tragedy for you?

It's strange that you're lashing out in this way.

I've never met Reid, never seen him in a match (though I have a few friends who was at the same event, but this was around when I got out of the loop), and otherwise would never know a thing about him other than that he's Ric Flair's kid. The most I knew about him was Ric Flair taking time off from the infamous Thunder taping back in 1998 to see him in an amateur wrestling tournament. Tragedy? Sure. Does it affect me at all? No, and it's for the reasons I already stated. The most personal this gets is that Ric Flair's going to continue to have more meltdowns into his 60's as his personal relationships, death, financial woes, and stardom all continue its decline, when it's clear that he lacks the emotional stability to deal with these problems in an appropriate way.. I hope he succeeds, but it's rare for a person to turn things around at that age, especially when he already has developed bad habits. Gorgeous George and Buddy Rogers had similar problems.

There's no point in trivializing his death, and I'm not trying to do that, but it's the wrestling business. We've been there, done that, a million times over, with people we all cared about (Eddie Guerrero being one of them) to forgotten people like Steve Bradley (who strangely enough died of heroin too). Hell, there was a mine explosion in Nevada that killed seven marines recently. Things happen everyday. It's strange that you expect me to get bent out of shape over a guy I never knew either on TV or in a match.

I don't know your mother Slasher or Nell, but if she died alone in a hotel room after a life time of alcoholism, and I said "it's a shame she was a drunk, she baked good cookies," it would be a pretty myopic and absurd way of looking at things.

I'm about as cynical as it gets when it comes to wrestling deaths at this point, but I don't think it's being overly sensitive to point out that those sort of statements don't exactly reflect well on the poster of them

Thank you. This "the board is called PWO so let's examine star ratings and psychology and forget the fact that a couple of parents are burying their child any day now" attitude just doesn't sit well with me. Forget making excuses for anyone's behavior. Its an awful situation and one that no one should go through. Is it really asking so much to respect the dead a few days after their passing? Save the workrate debates for another day with respect to those individuals.

I don't know your mother Slasher or Nell, but if she died alone in a hotel room after a life time of alcoholism, and I said "it's a shame she was a drunk, she baked good cookies," it would be a pretty myopic and absurd way of looking at things.

I'm about as cynical as it gets when it comes to wrestling deaths at this point, but I don't think it's being overly sensitive to point out that those sort of statements don't exactly reflect well on the poster of them

Don't get me wrong, I was not saying that it is ok to talk about how he was a good amateur in this specific circumstance, I was more saying that it was a bit much for anyone to expect that we should have this deep impacted emotion over the situation. Using my mom as an example, if I announced that she died, I wouldn't jump down people's throats if they did not show "sufficient" grief over a woman they did not know personally. If a person functions in a way where they take a detached approach, "Well that sucks, he could have been something...", that is their right. Let's not vilify them. We don't need to be shaking our fists at them for it.

The point remains that even though I don't know your mom, if I know she exists she deserves a certain level of compassion and sympathy that goes beyond your workrate.

That is fine, and I would appreciate that notion if it happens, but regardless, there are some who do not carry as much empathy, and I do not see a reason to attack that part of them. But I will leave it at that, I did not intend to take this thread in a different direction. I was just trying to stick up for Nell.