Pro Wrestling Only

Reid Flair dead at 24

Bix

REID FLAIR PASSES AWAY

by Mike Johnson @ 12:55 PM on 3/29/2013

Reid Flair, the youngest son of WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair, has passed away, PWInsider.com has sadly confirmed. He was only 24 years old.

Reid was seen in the latter days of WCW, where both he and his father had heads shaved as part of an angle where Ric feuded with Vince Russo. Reid later began training as a pro wrestler under Bobby Eaton and George South, but personal issues, including a heroin arrest, sidetracked what was expected to be instant stardom for Reid, who had an excellent amateur pedigree.

At one point, he was slated to debut with Ring of Honor when the promotion was owned by Cary Silkin, but the arrest caused ROH to back off on those plans. That led to the beginning of the end of their relationship with Ric Flair.

Since then, there had been talk of Reid going to WWE developmental and the company had taken a look at him, but didn't sign him to a contract. He had worked in All Japan this past January and was slated to make appearances with Ric this weekend in Maryland.

Our deepest condolences to the Flair family during what can only be described as a tragic, sad day.

Umm...damn.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's weird, with all of the death in my beloved pro wrestling I'm not often phased by it. I mean, it's messed up but I'm kind of numb to it at this point. Still, I'm not used to wrestlers dying and being the exact same age as me. I know Ric has been in rough shape lately (blood clot in his leg) and now I'm even more worried about him.

This sucks.

Guest Nell Santucci

Was he a good worker by any standard? Last I heard of his work was when he was in NC's indies, and no one I knew saw him as a standout worker.

EDIT: Before people jump to the gun that his death had something to do with heroin, he could have committed suicide as well. He was found in a hotel room, and suicide isn't that unusual for people who are - assuming that he was - struggling with drug abuse, which is especially compounded with something like heroin.

Guest Nell Santucci

Who cares if he was a good worker or whether his death was drug related, suicide, natural or something else? When you've got parents that have to bury their child I'm not sure what else is relevant.

Excuse me, but he's not your kid; he's Flair's kid. Let Ric Flair grieve the way he must grieve. Let the board carry on the way it must go on. I'd be shocked if you or anyone else is crying a river. It sucks that he died, but there's no reason to crap on any talks on his potential. We've long talked about "what might've been" with far bigger names like David Von Erich. I don't see anyone opening up threads in the future on Reid's career, namely because there is such little footage available.

Apparently he'd performed well as an opening match performer on his recent tour of AJPW.

Thanks for the info.

Didn't he get cut from developmental for his drug bust?

EDIT: Here's Meltzer on his death. Apparently, Dave knew Reid personally.

http://www.f4wonline.com/component/content...h-of-reid-flair

Guest Nell Santucci

Dave also mentioned Reid had nearly died of an OD at least once before.

Yes. I heard that. He must have been a troubled soul.

I do find it strange that Dave had a tongue-in-cheek way of saying that Reid had no business being in the wrestling business, but he sort of went back to a kneejerk Flair apologia by saying it's the only thing Ric knows; but I found Dave's assertion to be a little odd in that, as counterintuitive as it seems, I'd imagine that Reid, in his struggles against heroin, would have a safe haven in the wrestling business given that heroin is one of the those few drugs that doesn't seem to be abused.

Flair's emotions (along with his bills and lawsuits, etc.) have seemed to be running high for the last several years. Between this and (to a much lesser extent) the blood clot, he must be in a worse agony than any of us can imagine. I can only hope that what comes out of this is that he finds peace within his place and life, and live his golden years as best as he can now.

Dave also mentioned Reid had nearly died of an OD at least once before.

Yes. I heard that. He must have been a troubled soul.

I do find it strange that Dave had a tongue-in-cheek way of saying that Reid had no business being in the wrestling business, but he sort of went back to a kneejerk Flair apologia by saying it's the only thing Ric knows; but I found Dave's assertion to be a little odd in that, as counterintuitive as it seems, I'd imagine that Reid, in his struggles against heroin, would have a safe haven in the wrestling business given that heroin is one of the those few drugs that doesn't seem to be abused.

Heroin may not be the drug of choice in the wrestling business, but if you're already into that before you even get started in wrestling it would be a super easy habit to pick back up. Heroin is the strongest painkiller.