Pro Wrestling Only

1997 Hype

Loss

I can't believe this was sixteen years ago. What an incredible year world wide for the business. I graduated High School in June of 97 (and started college in September) and I still remember all the great stuff from all three companies that summer and fall. Incredible year. Other than maybe my first few years watching in the mid/late 80s this is my favorite year as a fan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe this was sixteen years ago. What an incredible year world wide for the business. I graduated High School in June of 97 (and started college in September) and I still remember all the great stuff from all three companies that summer and fall. Incredible year. Other than maybe my first few years watching in the mid/late 80s this is my favorite year as a fan

Quoted for truth. Awesome year for wrestling, kicked of the resurgence of the business in the US, coinciding with the internet starting to blow up. Great time to be a fan.

This is one of those years that younger fans in years to come "won't get" why us old folks get so wound up about, but it's going to be impossible to explain to them just how much the internet becoming a thing everyone had access to changed everything. Doesn't hurt this was also a year with so much going on pretty much everywhere.

These yearbooks look great. Some day I'm going to have to break down and buy them all and ruin my free time for a couple years.

Awesome year for wrestling, kicked of the resurgence of the business in the US, coinciding with the internet starting to blow up. Great time to be a fan.

The internet absolutely enhanced everything going on that year. Anyone else remember the WWF Informer message board on AOL? It was more or less abandoned by its original creators and taken over by people smart to the business. It was my first exposure to that side of things and it blew my mind

I SO agree about the quality of 1997 and how it makes me feel old to look back now and see it was 16 years ago. I, too, was just starting college and the Monday Night Wars in a bar with other wrestling fan was TRADITION for a couple years at the University of South Carolina. Such a blast, I cannot wait to relive this year. My birthday is Saturday and I know EXACTLY what my present to myself is gonna be as soon as this is released.

In terms of the things you've suggested, I would like to see the lucha 6-man from BATB and Austin vs Michaels from KOTR make it. I would prefer leaving Hart vs Taker from SSlam as full, but I understand if it's just not possible.

Hayabusa is a wrestler I'm looking forward to seeing in 1997, along with Kintaro Kanemura and Masato Tanaka. FMW had really good in-ring years in 1995 and 1996. I love Onita death matches, but Hayabusa did change the tone of the promotion. The violence was still there, but there was a lot more wrestling to go with it. I think that only increases as the decade goes on, to a point where FMW may be the only promotion in the world by 1999 that's better at the end of the decade than it was at the beginning of it.

97 - mid 99 or so is the peak of the promotion in terms of having the "totall package", great in ring + great booking. The string of semi weekly tv in 97 built around the Hayabusa vs Gannosuke & Tanaka vs Kanemura feuds is one of the most enjoyable runs of shows i've ever gone thorugh.

Surprised at:

- The comparatively small amount of AJPW

- The comparatively large amount of WWF promos/angles

Surprised not disappointed - an indication of current trends? Looks a fantastic set in any case, wish I had the money and the time to properly enjoy it. Hoping to buy a full set of all these yearbooks once the cash flow restarts in earnest. Seems like the only wrestling a fan would need on the shelf.

That's a reflection of where All Japan was headed. The great matches were still really great, but with the loss of TV time and corresponding diminution of the midcard, the depth just wasn't there. There weren't many borderline matches that Will and Loss decided to drop.

This set will definitely ride on WWF and WCW booking more than any of the previous ones. You look at a lot of the discs and they're as reliant on promos as matches.

Previous years' representation of All Japan tells an interesting story.

Number of matches per year, including JIP/Finish Only jobs.

1990 - 41

1991 - 36

1992 - 36

1993 - 36

1994 - 30

1995 - 25

1996 - 22

1997 - 24

1993 and 1995 are the two years where I think we left the most All Japan on the cutting room floor. I feel like we have improved as editors over time. Maybe '93 would be closer to 45 or so, and '95 would be closer to 35 or so. 1994 would probably be around 35 if we didn't have to make a few tough cuts as well. Either way, there is a noticeable decline when TV goes to 30 minutes weekly.