Pro Wrestling Only

1997 Hype

Loss

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vader-Owen might be Vader's best WWF match. It's definitely among his best there, and I don't know how much from his WWF stint is going to be represented on the yearbooks. I figure you guys would want quite a bit, just to show how his WWF stop went in comparison to all of his other ones on the yearbooks.

Is Vader/Owen a better pick to keep than Vader/Shamrock earlier in the year? Are both absolutely necessary?

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on Shawn vs Austin at KOTR? That seems like a keeper, but just checking since no one ever really talks about that match much.

Is Vader/Owen a better pick to keep than Vader/Shamrock earlier in the year? Are both absolutely necessary?

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on Shawn vs Austin at KOTR? That seems like a keeper, but just checking since no one ever really talks about that match much.

From memory Owen vs Vader is pretty much one of Owen's best match in the WWF. Ken vs Vader was cool as a spectacle to get Ken over as something special. Would last a whole one match, but hey, it was rather cool, not to mention brutal.

Shawn vs Austin from KOTR never struck me as a very good match. Plus it really didn't mean shit in the grand scheme of things when you think about it. Maybe that's why no one talks about it. ;)

(and I feel old talking about WWF 1997, the high point of my pro-wrestling fandom... 16 years ago ? Damn, where all that time has gone ? I was 21 and in a blink of an eye I'm almost middle-aged and crazy...)

I dont love each match necessarily but both were fun so i could take them or leave them. If the Jericho/Eddie match from Fall Brawl is on here maybe the Jericho match is a little expendable. The lucha one is a fun fast paced match with a lot of random guys so i could see that being on the set just to show the depth of the roster.

I think the shamrock/Vader match is a must have even over the Owen match. Would prefer to see both but would take the Shamrock match first. The Austin/HBK match is interesting because if i recall it was their first big match against each other and it was at the point that Shawn was babyface but was trying to be a cool face like Austin

To chime in on a few of the matches being debated:

-- I'd opt for the finish of Hart/Taker at Summerslam as the angle is key and the match is probably way too long given the constraints on the set.

-- Unless upon rewatch the announcing is an all time type of deal, I'm not sure the Hogan/Rodman tag needs to be included beyond the entrance or finish.

-- I remember watching War Games live on PPV and subsequently on tape and beyond the Henning turn it was probably the worst up to that point.

Havent watched Owen/Vader in forever so can't really comment. Would for sure at a bare minimum keep Vader/Shamrock.

Shawn vs. Austin I would say is a keeper. I remember the match being good and it is their second highest profile match besides Mania 14. I also think KOTR doesnt need any representation besides a JIP job of HHH winning so including this help fills out some of that card.

Agree on keeping Shawn/Austin at KOTR, though at over 20 minutes, you could probably JIP if it means keeping additional Hart/HBK/Austin promos from that time, which are probably more memorable and a bigger part of looking back on that era.

While that is true in most regards, Will has an awesome Hart Foundation set to compliment this if there are any holes

I think the BATB lucha tag has a place in the yearbook, it's one of the better ones WCW ran and has the ridiculous Air Juvi that was the best one he ever landed. I guess it depends on how many Nitro 6-mans you already have on deck, after a while they do blend in a bit, though I think the BATB one gets by on it's own merits.

I can only imagine how much stuff will be cut from this set. Such a big year for many of the wrestling groups. Plus you get long matches and the start of the long promos with Hart Foundation/Michaels/Austin. I'm cool with some of the matches mentioned as being cut/edited since I own them on DVD and can just pop them in if needing to watch whole thing. I've never seen Vader/Shamrock so I'm intrigued on that one. The Hart Foundation set released by Will is great but I hope that doesn't give reason to cut down on their stuff in Yearbook.