Pro Wrestling Only

Did Bob Brown Draw in Central?

Smack2k

Did he draw well in Central States in the 70's - 80's? He is bad everywhere he's gone and I have NEVER once heard a "you should see him vs..." or that kind of talk and never heard anyone defend him as a wrestler...yet he was featured in several areas and in big roles....

How did he last so long in a big role if he was soo bad and universally seen as bad...unless I am missing something...

Curious where the disconnect is.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE this topic!

The only thing that makes sense is if he was good friends with Bob Geigel. ???

Conversations I have with older fans around Wichita usually go like this:

"Oh yeah we used to go watch the matches, the one guy I remember is Bulldog Bob Brown"

"Was he a good wrestler?"

"Oh hell no, that's just the guy I remember"

I wouldn't call Bob Brown a great draw but he was good enough for the small buildings that CS ran. Sure they ran Kansas City but on the Kansas side other than the rare shows at Kemper Arena which Bob was midcard on those shows. Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kansas was OLD and not very big.

I believe a group still runs Memorial Hall in KCKS to this day.

There is a building in Wichita named "Bob Brown Memorial Expo Hall" that is attached to Century II which is the building where Bob Brown mowed through his opponents. My dad always told me the Expo Hall was named after the Bulldog and he would always say "that's why the building sucks".

Just found out today that it was named for some politician.

Yeah at this point I'm just scraping for info to keep this thread alive.

Seriously, this has bugged me since I really got into wrestling...NO ONE has ever said Bob Brown had a must see match or feud..

Was Central States SOOO bad that hte only guy they could rely on to stay and make programs around was shitty Bob Brown?

Are there any stats anywhere on their numbers? Did Geigel even want his own territory to do well? Shit, Harley was part of it...how did HE still go with Bob?

Its a nice area of the country...surely SOMEONE would like to headline there...

Or was he like Geigel's puppet and did what he said no matter what...or maybe some other deeper shit was involved...

Maybe Brown sent friends around getting pictures of certain promoters to use as collateral to keep him on top...what else is there? And more than one place thought enough of him to put him into a position...semi main or main...

Buck Robely is really funny when he talks about his short time in Central States and how there was no way he was going with Bob Brown on top and brought in a bunch of his own guys..

His story gets a little blown up (way bigger deal than it was) after that, but still good.

I'm thinking about dropping a line to Harley Race and asking him about Bulldog Bob Brown. Anyone ever try to contact Harley? I emailed back and forth with his wife BJ about 10 years ago, but she has since passed. I seriously might try to contact Harley with some of these questions, if that is even remotely possible.

Also, there may or may not be a "Best of" Bulldog Brown comp in the works.

Any reason why no one ever talks or seems to care about Central States? Of all the territories, it seems to be the one that literally no one gives a shit about. Apart from Brick.

Out of all the 80's territories this one wasn't covered much in the 20 plus publications that were around back then might have something to do with it. They did have the rankings at times in the Apter mags, but that was about it, never any articles from what I remember.

From the little I have seen it was really bad in the 80's. I think this was after JCP purchased it they were pushing the MOD Squad, enough said. It was worse than Wild West IMO. I have heard of people liking it in the 70's on KM though.

Here's the NWA promotions in 1979:

http://www.wrestling-titles.com/nwa/members/1979.html

We probably should admit that Central States wasn't the worst of the bunch. Fundamentals out of New Mexico? Fred Ward Promotions in freaking Macon?

Here's 76:

http://www.wrestling-titles.com/nwa/members/1976.html

Eastern Sports Association in New Brunswick?

Central States was low on the list, but there were other arm pits of pro wrestling. :)

Fred Ward was a major player in the NWA. He was a VP for years plus check out his position in the various incarnations of GCW in the NWA post Ray Gunkel

Georgia Championship Wrestling, Inc.

Atlanta, GA:

-James E. Barnett - Initial Director

-Paul Jones - Incorporator

-Fred Ward - Initial Director

-Roy Welch - Incorporator

-Paul Jones - Initial Director

-Lester Welch - Incorporator

Southeastern Wrestling Corp.

Atlanta, GA:

-James E. Barnett - Initial Director

-H. Wynne James, III - Incorporator

-Fred Ward - Initial Director

Fred Ward Promotions, Inc.

Columbus, GA:

-Ralph T. Freed - CEO

-Frances Ward - CFO

-Frances Freed - Secretary

Championship Wrestling from Georgia, Inc,

Columbus, GA:

-Ralph T. Freed - CEO

-Fred Ward - CFO

Mike London was another local promoter, he booked talent out of the Amarillo office.

Most town promoters were just affiliates, not members. Ward had his own TV so he makes more sense than London, though.

The Maritime territory paid really well, it just didn't run year-round. It was definitely above KC in stature, connection to St Louis aside.