Pro Wrestling Only

Did Bob Brown Draw in Central?

Smack2k

I grew up in northern Iowa, which was part of the AWA. When I talk wrestling with my co-workers here in central Iowa, the two wrestlers they always mention are Bulldog Bob Brown and Rufus R. Jones.

I think I'll stick with Bock and Martel!

Forsake those guys with ability and embrace the dark side that is Bulldog and Rufus. Watching them makes all other wrestlers........look pretty great!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Geigel a good worker? Can't say I've ever seen any of his matches.

There is an old one or two kicking around...I think one of the Central States documentaries has almost a full match in black and white of Geigel. Not sure if it's on youtube or not.

Nothing stands out from my memory about him from when I saw the bout, so I'll say "meh" until I can watch it again.

I grew up in northern Iowa, which was part of the AWA. When I talk wrestling with my co-workers here in central Iowa, the two wrestlers they always mention are Bulldog Bob Brown and Rufus R. Jones.

I think I'll stick with Bock and Martel!

Forsake those guys with ability and embrace the dark side that is Bulldog and Rufus. Watching them makes all other wrestlers........look pretty great!

Down in Puerto Rico we had the pleasure of watching the wrestling stylings of the 89-91 version of Rufus R. Jones. Weirdly, we had a wrestler going by the moniker of Bob Brown (he wrestled as part of The Hunters tag team with Dale Veasey in 87), but apparently he wasn't the genuine article. We were deprived of witnessing that greatness :P

Bob Brown doesn't seem unique to me as far as the 70's territorial system goes. Every territory had their "house" mainstay guys who settled in one spot and didn't tour the circuits much, and a lot of them were pretty bad, but they'd be over with the locals because they were the familiar guys. Brown was office in KC too, and has the reputation of being Geigel's stooge. I've never heard anyone with much positive to say about him, or about Central States as a territory for that matter. You had Geigel with his deep connections in the NWA essentially getting talent from other promoters as a favor, Harley being based out of the area, a connection with the Funks, and not much else going for it. Everything I've heard over the years is the payoffs were shit and nobody seemed to enjoy working there, it was just something you did. Larry Matysik, who has some personal bias, thought Geigel was a terrible promoter when he took over St. Louis from Muchnick, that he just brought in his local Central States regulars and killed the town.

I grew up in Topeka and watched Central States wrestling on TV pretty regularly in the 1980s. You really can't judge Central States by its shows from, say, 1987, when you were treated to 10 minutes of Bob Brown v. Hustler Rip Rogers with Brenda Britton, or a Central States Title defense by Rufus R. Jones against Mr. Pogo with Porkchop Cash as his manager (see

).

Bob Brown was a known quantity and better than nothing. At least you knew he would put up a good fight. He wasn't pretty, but that was OK with me.

I enjoyed Central States a lot more in the earlier 1980s when JJ Dillon was leading the Rat Pack, trying to put Rufus in a rat suit, and Avalanche Buzz Tyler was running wild.

The stock videos promoting a special appearance of Kamala, Brody, Flair, etc. for a big show in Kansas City were fun also. It's too bad so much Central States footage seems to be lost forever.

Did Bob Brown ever tour Japan, and if so, did any of that make tape?

http://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=1439...mmick=Bob+Brown

1984 tour.

Dan has him listed as "Brower" here:

DVD #7

3/31/84

1. Jumbo/Tenryu vs. Dibise/Brower

2. Hansen vs. McGraw

3. Baba vs. Hansen

4. Inoue vs. Dragon

Some additional dates in the 70s:

http://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=1439...Brown&s=100

I don't think any of that turned up on Classics.

25.02.1992 Bob Brown, Gerry Morrow & The Natural vs. Chris Jericho, Gene Kiniski & Lance Storm - No Contest

WFWA TV Taping @ International Inn in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Wow. Apparently Kiniski's last ever match. The Natural is Don Callis/Cyrus. I'd like to see it just for the WTF factor

25.02.1992 Bob Brown, Gerry Morrow & The Natural vs. Chris Jericho, Gene Kiniski & Lance Storm - No Contest

WFWA TV Taping @ International Inn in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Wow. Apparently Kiniski's last ever match. The Natural is Don Callis/Cyrus. I'd like to see it just for the WTF factor

Please tell me that was the main event!

Just so we can say Brown and Storm worked the same main event, to tie into the other thread.