Pro Wrestling Only

Best Three Consecutive PPVs?

goodhelmet

I did a round table with the placetobe guys last night and the question came up... what are the best three consecutive PPVs a company has put out? I think Justin had it right when he brought up the following three PPVs from WCW 1992. However, if someone wants to argue for three other PPVs, I would be willing to listen.

Superbrawl II - The Mecca; Milwaukee, WI 2/29/1992

- Light Heavyweight Title: Brian Pillman beat Jushin Liger to win the title

- Marcus Alexander Bagwell beat Terry Taylor

- Ron Simmons beat Cactus Jack

- Van Hammer & Tom Zenk beat Vinnie Vegas & Ricky Morton

- Barry Windham & Dustin Rhodes beat Steve Austin & Larry Zbyzsko

- WCW Tag Team Title: Champs Bobby Eaton & Arn Anderson beat The Steiners by DQ

- US Title: Champ Rick Rude beat Ricky Steamboat

- WCW World Title: Sting beat Lex Luger to win the title

Wrestle War 1992 - Jacksonvile Coliseum; Jacksonville, FL 5/17/1992

- US Tag Team Titles: The Freebirds beat Terry Taylor & Greg Valentine to win the belts

- Johnny B Badd beat Tracey Smothers

- Scotty Flamingo beat Marcus Alexander Bagwell

- Ron Simmons beat Mr. Hughes

- The Super Invader beat Todd Champion

- Big Josh beat Ricky Morton

- Light Heavyweight Title: Champ Brian Pillman beat Tom Zenk

- WCW Tag Team Titles: Champs The Steiners beat Tatsumi Fujinami & Takayuki Iizuka

- War Games: Sting, Ricky Steamboat, Dustin Rhodes, Barry Windham & Nikita Koloff beat Steve Austin, Rick Rude, Arn Anderson, Bobby Eaton, & Larry Zbyzsko

Beach Blast 1992 - Civic Center; Mobile, AL 6/20/1992

- Light Heavyweight Title: Scotty Flamingo beat Brian Pillman to win the title

- Ron Simmons beat Terry Taylor

- Falls Count Anywhere for WCW Title: Sting beat Cactus Jack

- Greg Valentine beat Marcus Alexander Bagwell

- 30 minute Iron Man Challenge: Ricky Steamboat beat Rick Rude 4-3

- Dustin Rhodes, Nikita Koloff & Barry Windham beat Steve Austin, Bobby Eaton , & Arn Anderson by DQ

- WCW Tag Team Titles: Champs The Steiners fought Terry Gordy & Steve Williams to a draw

Love it! Will might've nailed it with WCW's early offerings in 1992. I'd also be open to the WWF's start to that year with Flair winning the Rumble, then Savage/Flair and Hart/Piper at Mania followed by the double main event at Wembley for Summerslam.

Since I like cop outs I'm also going to throw a bone to early WWF 2001. Awesome Rumble with Austin going over, the Benoit/Jericho IC Title ladder match and a decent Angle/HHH title match while that feud was still hot. Then you've got HHH/Austin in a legit MOTYC and Rock/Angle at No Way Out, followed by the climax of the era at WM17. Not a bad run.

Full results to save anyone a google search:

Royal Rumble - New Orleans Arena; New Orleans, LA 1/21/2001

- World Tag Team Title: The Dudley Boyz beat Edge & Christian to win the belts

- Ladder Match for Intercontinental Title: Chris Jericho beat Chris Benoit to win the title

- Women's Title: Champ Ivory beat Chyna

- WWF Title: Champ Kurt Angle beat Triple H

- Steve Austin won the Royal Rumble last eliminating Kane

No Way Out - Thomas & Mack Center; Las Vegas, NV 2/25/2001

- Hardcore Title: Big Show beat Raven to win the title

- Intercontinental Title: Champ Chris Jericho beat Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero & X-Pac

- Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley beat Trish Stratus

- Best-of-3 Falls Match: Triple H beat Steve Austin in 3 falls. Austin won fall 1, Triple H won the last 2 falls which were street fight & cage match rules

- Steven Richards beat Jerry Lawler. Due to pre-match stipulations The Kat is forced to join Right to Censor

- Table match for Tag Team Title: Champion Dudley Boyz beat Edge & Christian, and Kane & The Undertaker

- WWF Title: The Rock beat Kurt Angle to win the title

WrestleMania X-7 - Astrodome; Houston, TX 4/1/2001

- Intercontinental Title: Champ Chris Jericho beat William Regal

- The APA & Tazz beat The Right to Censor

- Hardcore Title: Kane beat champ Raven & Big Show to win the title

- European Title: Eddie Guerrero beat Test to win the title

- Kurt Angle beat Chris Benoit

- Women's Title: Chyna beat Ivory to win the title

- Street Fight: Shane McMahon beat Vince McMahon

- TLC match for the World Tag Team Title: Edge & Christian beat champs The Dudley Boyz & The Hardy Boyz to win the title

- Gimmick Battle Royal: The Iron Sheik by last eliminating Hillbilly Jim

- The Undertaker beat Triple H

- WWF Title: Steve Austin beat the Rock to win the WWF title

Love it! Will might've nailed it with WCW's early offerings in 1992. I'd also be open to the WWF's start to that year with Flair winning the Rumble, then Savage/Flair and Hart/Piper at Mania followed by the double main event at Wembley for Summerslam.

Since I like cop outs I'm also going to throw a bone to early WWF 2001. Awesome Rumble with Austin going over, the Benoit/Jericho IC Title ladder match and a decent Angle/HHH title match while that feud was still hot. Then you've got HHH/Austin in a legit MOTYC and Rock/Angle at No Way Out, followed by the climax of the era at WM17. Not a bad run.

Full results to save anyone a google search:

Royal Rumble - New Orleans Arena; New Orleans, LA 1/21/2001

- World Tag Team Title: The Dudley Boyz beat Edge & Christian to win the belts

- Ladder Match for Intercontinental Title: Chris Jericho beat Chris Benoit to win the title

- Women's Title: Champ Ivory beat Chyna

- WWF Title: Champ Kurt Angle beat Triple H

- Steve Austin won the Royal Rumble last eliminating Kane

No Way Out - Thomas & Mack Center; Las Vegas, NV 2/25/2001

- Hardcore Title: Big Show beat Raven to win the title

- Intercontinental Title: Champ Chris Jericho beat Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero & X-Pac

- Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley beat Trish Stratus

- Best-of-3 Falls Match: Triple H beat Steve Austin in 3 falls. Austin won fall 1, Triple H won the last 2 falls which were street fight & cage match rules

- Steven Richards beat Jerry Lawler. Due to pre-match stipulations The Kat is forced to join Right to Censor

- Table match for Tag Team Title: Champion Dudley Boyz beat Edge & Christian, and Kane & The Undertaker

- WWF Title: The Rock beat Kurt Angle to win the title

WrestleMania X-7 - Astrodome; Houston, TX 4/1/2001

- Intercontinental Title: Champ Chris Jericho beat William Regal

- The APA & Tazz beat The Right to Censor

- Hardcore Title: Kane beat champ Raven & Big Show to win the title

- European Title: Eddie Guerrero beat Test to win the title

- Kurt Angle beat Chris Benoit

- Women's Title: Chyna beat Ivory to win the title

- Street Fight: Shane McMahon beat Vince McMahon

- TLC match for the World Tag Team Title: Edge & Christian beat champs The Dudley Boyz & The Hardy Boyz to win the title

- Gimmick Battle Royal: The Iron Sheik by last eliminating Hillbilly Jim

- The Undertaker beat Triple H

- WWF Title: Steve Austin beat the Rock to win the WWF title

Yes, the 2001 stretch is actually what sparked the debate...hard to argue with that stretch for sure.

We discussed that 1992 WWF stretch on the show as well. It will be posted later today.

Chi Town Rumble, WrestleWar 89, and GAB 89 are a pretty good combo as well.

Yea, I was just about to mention that.

Chi-Town Rumble has the first 1989 Flair/Steamboat match, a good Luger/Windham US title match, and an entertaining Loser Leaves town six-man with both Midnight Express teams. Plus the two major singles titles changed hands.

WrestleWar is really about the main event but there the US and World singles titles change hands again.

GAB has Flair/Funk, Sting/Muta, Luger/Steamboat, and War Games all of which are good (or better) matches.

WrestleWar is the weak link in that chain but the great main event might be enough to hold it up as a "great" PPV. At least everything else on that card was kept short.

What about Summer Slam 2001 / Unforgiven 2001 / No Mercy 2001?

(I bolded all the matches that got *** or higher.)

Summer Slam 01 - San Jose, CA - Compaq Center - August 19, 2001 (15,293; sell out)

Pay-per-view bouts - featured Jim Ross & Paul Heyman on commentary:

Edge pinned WWF IC Champion Lance Storm to win the title at 11:18 with a DDT

Test & the Dudley Boyz defeated Spike Dudley (w/ Molly Holly) & the Acolytes when Test pinned Bradshaw at 7:19

WCW Cruiserweight Champion X-Pac pinned WWF Light Heavyweight Champion Tajiri to win the title at 7:34 with a low blow and the X-Factor after Tajiri sprayed red mist into the eyes of Albert, who came ringside late in the contest and climbed on the ring apron; both titles were at stake in the match

Chris Jericho defeated Rhyno (w/ Stephanie McMahon) via submission with the Walls of Jericho at 11:47 after Jericho avoided the Gore and Rhyno hit the corner

Rob Van Dam defeated WWF Hardcore Champion Jeff Hardy in a ladder match to win the title at 16:32 after shoving Hardy off the top, sending the challenger onto the ring ropes

WCW Tag Team Champions the Undertaker & Kane (w/ Sara) defeated WWF Tag Team Champions Diamond Dallas Page & WCW US Champion Kanyon in a steel cage match to win the titles at 10:13

Kurt Angle defeated WWF World Champion Steve Austin via disqualification at 22:31

The Rock pinned WCW World Champion Booker T (w/ Shane McMahon) to win the title at 15:19

* Austin/Angle was really great.

Unforgiven 01 - Pittsburgh, PA - Mellon Arena - September 23, 2001

WWF Tag Team Champions the Dudley Boyz defeated the Big Show & Spike Dudley, Lance Storm & WWF European Champion the Hurricane, and Matt & Jeff Hardy in an elimination match

Perry Saturn pinned Raven (w/ Terri) with the spinning fisherman's suplex after catapulting Raven into the turnbuckle

Christian pinned WWF IC Champion Edge to win the title after using a steel chair to hit a low blow

WCW Tag Team Champions the Undertaker & Kane defeated Kronik (w/ Steven Richards)

WWF Hardcore Champion Rob Van Dam pinned Chris Jericho

WCW World Champion the Rock defeated Booker T & Shane McMahon in a handicap match at 15:24 by pinning Booker with the Rock Bottom

Rhyno pinned WCW US Champion Tajiri (w/ Torrie Wilson) to win the title with a T-Bone suplex and the Gore

Kurt Angle defeated WWF World Champion Steve Austin to win the title

* RVD/Jericho and Angle/Austin were great.

No Mercy 01 - St. Louis, MO - Savvis Center - October 21, 2001

WCW Tag Team Champions Matt & Jeff Hardy (w/ Lita) defeated WWF European Champion the Hurricane (w/ Molly Holly) & Lance Storm (w/ Ivory) at 7:14

Test pinned Kane at 10:09 with a boot to the face after landing a low blow

Torrie Wilson pinned Stacy Keibler with a handspring elbow and roll up at 3:07 in a lingerie match

Edge defeated WWF IC Champion Christian in a ladder match to win the title at 22:17

WWF Tag Team Champions the Dudley Boyz defeated the Big Show & Tajiri at 9:19

The Undertaker pinned Booker T at 13:20

Chris Jericho pinned WCW World Champion the Rock at 23:47

WWF World Champion Steve Austin defeated Kurt Angle and WWF Hardcore Champion Rob Van Dam at 15:19 in a No DQ match

* Jericho/Rock was really great. Austin/Angle/RVD was great. Edge/Christian was quite good.

I'm a big fan of 2002 as well with Vengeance 2002 (July), Summer Slam 2002 (August) and Unforgiven 2002 (Sept).

WWF 2000 had such an amazing stretch... except they couldn't seem to put together 3 straight.

Royal Rumble/No Way Out are amazing, but it's hard to put Wrestlemania 2000 in with the top tier.

Backlash/Judgment Day are possibly the two best pure wrestling PPVs they've ever done... but King of the Ring is pretty crappy.

Fully Loaded and Summerslam are also excellent shows, but Unforgiven was mostly a bit of a mess (although its better than the other streak breakers here).

Chi-Town Rumble has the first 1989 Flair/Steamboat match, a good Luger/Windham US title match, and an entertaining Loser Leaves town six-man with both Midnight Express teams. Plus the two major singles titles changed hands.

WrestleWar is really about the main event but there the US and World singles titles change hands again.

GAB has Flair/Funk, Sting/Muta, Luger/Steamboat, and War Games all of which are good (or better) matches.

WrestleWar is the weak link in that chain but the great main event might be enough to hold it up as a "great" PPV. At least everything else on that card was kept short.

WrestleWar had the main, which over time has become a Love/Hate type of match (relative to the earlier two big Flair-Steamer matches still being fully Loved). It was hurt by a supporting card that just didn't take off. At the time, Hayes-Luger was surprisingly entertaining... but I wonder how much of that was the surprise of Lex losing. Even if the match doesn't hold up (16+ minutes from those two is a lot of time given Lex was in face mode), I'd say it was at the very least a decent supporting match for the booking and title change and adding to the aura. But the rest... the final two title matches were in an anti-climactic spot, and neither delivered. The undercard was mediocre. It ends up being a one match card.

It's too bad one can sub in Starcade '88, which had the strong main with Flair-Lex, a wildly fun Steiner-Rotundo TV title change, what I recall as a solid Barry vs Bam Bam US Title match, and I want to say a solid MX vs OMX match.

I'd go with the WCW 92 category. Just listened to that podcast and was yelling into my phone for you guys to mention WCW 92 before you did. I know not everybody agreed, but I'd throw in Bash 92 as well. Pretty strong tag matches despite the tourney format which usually leaves no time for good matches where this one debunks that theory.

WrestleWar had the main, which over time has become a Love/Hate type of match (relative to the earlier two big Flair-Steamer matches still being fully Loved). It was hurt by a supporting card that just didn't take off. At the time, Hayes-Luger was surprisingly entertaining... but I wonder how much of that was the surprise of Lex losing. Even if the match doesn't hold up (16+ minutes from those two is a lot of time given Lex was in face mode), I'd say it was at the very least a decent supporting match for the booking and title change and adding to the aura. But the rest... the final two title matches were in an anti-climactic spot, and neither delivered. The undercard was mediocre. It ends up being a one match card.

It's too bad one can sub in Starcade '88, which had the strong main with Flair-Lex, a wildly fun Steiner-Rotundo TV title change, what I recall as a solid Barry vs Bam Bam US Title match, and I want to say a solid MX vs OMX match.

The Fantastics vs Doc and Sullivan opener was also very good.

How about these three from the summer of '96 for WCW:

Great American Bash '96

The Steiner Brothers (Rick Steiner & Scott Steiner) defeat Fire And Ice (Ice-Train & Scott Norton) (10:29)

WCW United States Heavyweight Title Match

Konnan © defeats El Gato (6:03)

Lord Of The Ring Match

Diamond Dallas Page defeats Marcus Alexander Bagwell (9:39)

WCW World Cruiserweight Title

Dean Malenko © defeats Rey Misterio Jr. (17:50)

John Tenta defeats Big Bubba (w/Jimmy Hart) (5:24)

Falls Count Anywhere

Chris Benoit defeats Kevin Sullivan (w/Jimmy Hart) (9:58)

Sting defeats Lord Steven Regal (w/Jeeves) (16:30)

Arn Anderson & Ric Flair (w/Bobby Heenan, Miss Elizabeth & Woman) defeat Kevin Greene & Steve McMichael (w/Debra McMichael, Randy Savage & Tara Greene) (20:51)

WCW World Heavyweight Title Match

The Giant (w/Jimmy Hart) © defeats Lex Luger (9:21)

Bash at the Beach '96

Rey Misterio Jr. defeats Psychosis (15:18)

Carson City Silver Dollar Match

John Tenta defeats Big Bubba (w/Jimmy Hart) (9:00)

Lord Of The Ring Taped Fist Match

Diamond Dallas Page defeats Jim Duggan (5:39)

Double Dog Collar Chain Tag Team Match

The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobbs & Jerry Sags) defeat The Public Enemy (Johnny Grunge & Rocco Rock) (11:25)

WCW World Cruiserweight Title Match

Dean Malenko © defeats Disco Inferno (12:04)

Steve McMichael (w/Debra McMichael) defeats Joe Gomez (6:44)

WCW United States Heavyweight Title Match

Ric Flair (w/Miss Elizabeth & Woman) defeats Konnan © (15:39)

Kevin Sullivan & The Giant (w/Jimmy Hart) defeat Arn Anderson & Chris Benoit (7:59)

Hulk Hogan & The Outsiders (Kevin Nash & Scott Hall) vs. Lex Luger, Randy Savage & Sting - No Contest (16:00)

Hog Wild '96

WCW World Cruiserweight Title

Rey Misterio Jr. © defeats Ultimate Dragon (w/Sonny Onoo) (11:35)

Scott Norton defeats Ice-Train (5:05)

Loser Smashes Opponent's Bike Match

Madusa defeats Bull Nakano (w/Sonny Onoo) (5:00)

Chris Benoit (w/Miss Elizabeth & Woman) defeats Dean Malenko (26:55)

WCW World Tag Team Title Match

Harlem Heat (Booker T & Stevie Ray) (w/Col. Robert Parker & Sister Sherri) © defeat The Steiner Brothers (Rick Steiner & Scott Steiner) (17:53)

WCW United States Heavyweight Title

Ric Flair (w/Miss Elizabeth & Woman) © defeats Eddie Guerrero (14:14)

The Outsiders (Kevin Nash & Scott Hall) defeat Lex Luger & Sting (14:36)

WCW World Heavyweight Title Match

Hollywood Hogan defeats The Giant (w/Jimmy Hart) © (14:55)

All down to personal taste but Backlash 2000 and Judgement Day 2000 were two blinding PPV's in a row. KOTR after that was a huge let down, and WM2000 prior was a let down also, despite the amazing triangle ladder match and the main event had its moments. The card did have a big time feel however, so you could argue that April - June period.

Summerslam 95 is still one of my favourite WWF PPV's, followed by a wonderful Survivor Series with the wild card match, strong undercard and the blinding Diesel / Hart match. Then we had Royal Rumble 96 with a strong Undertaker / Bret match, star packed Rumble and Goldust and Razor going at it.