Pro Wrestling Only

AJ styles in WWE, would you like to see it?

Sidebottom

Interested to know what you think given the current TNA / AJ Styles situation.

I for one would. I'd like to see what WWE would do with him, and I'd like to see what he'd do in the WWE. How he'd be packaged and presented. In the ring, the prospect of matches with the likes of Punk, Bryan, Shield, Orton and Cena sounds pretty damn good to me, and a far stretch better than any TNA scenario he could find himself in after 12 years of constant employment there.

Go on AJ, take the plunge!

I care little about AJ Styles anymore in terms of his character, booking or the man's career. But still, the prospect of dropping him into the current WWE scene, awash with workrate, is still tempting to me. AJ working with Rey, Bryan, Sami, flopping around for Cesaro spots, having six mans with The Shield, bumping off of Henry...sounds good to me.

Of course, if we're talking about it in a real life sense, in that he'd get signed tomorrow, get sent to NXT to get re-packaged, get a new name for people to whine about, and work on NXT for 6-12 months before even sniffing the main roster, I don't really care about that. It just feels too late for him. Shame, but there you go.

He can't talk. He looks like he should be the Wyatt Family's straight laced workaholic cousin from the city. That's the only gimmick he could do in WWE. Put a mask and a bodysuit and mute him completely and they could have something though.

His gimmick and name should be City Mouse.

On the indies he is perfect. He can work off of his reputation and wouldn't need any other credentials or gimmicks to make it work again. He was great from 2001-2006 in that setting.

You all suck. :(

As the lone AJ mark on the board, I should at least shill my thread for him... http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?showtopic=19786 . Give the man, some deserved love.

Re-reading my own thread, I see there are other people who do like AJ including Redman, sorry for misconstruing 2013 AJ disdain with general AJ disdain. I would still be super pumped for AJ on the main WWE roster because I still liked his performances this year like against Aries 2013.

He punches better. His dives are better. He sells better. He bumps better. He is a better wrestler. He works the mat better. He is a better character actor. He is better at match layouts. He is a better wrestler.

Kofi can jump higher than him, I guess.

Fuck, I can do worked strikes better than Kofi.

AJ's swanton to the outside blows away anything Kofi has in terms of how pretty it looks.

For selling from AJ vs. Joe at Turning Point 2005: "When Styles does a float-over off a Joe suplex attempt onto the apron instead of doing it fluidly he lands on the ropes to sell the exhaustion. I was in awe. Consequently instead of immediately following his forearm on the apron he sold more exhaustion before finally to trying to hit a springboard and ate a Joe powerbomb. Sublime. " You are lucky if Kofi remembers to sell the same body part through the match nevermind sell fatigue.

The iconic flip bump off the Ultimate X to making Sting look like a million bucks via bumping.

Could Kofi have a violent David vs. Goliath match in a cage as good as AJ? Fuck, no.

Kofi does not even the work the mat. Still, AJ has proven he can go on the mat with Daniels and others at level that is at least on par with most modern American workers.

I am a mark for AJ's work in the Christian Coalition & Team Angle. I like some comedy and light-heartedness in my wrestling. Kofi's character is that he moved from Jamaica to Ghana.

AJ vs Daniels Final Resolution 2009 is an amazing layered match that builds on their previous matches, has hate and delivers a satisfying finish. When has Kofi ever shown any aggression ever.

Kofi does not even come close to any of these matches: 1. TNA World Heavyweight Champion AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels - Final Resolution 2009

2. AJ Styles vs Abyss - Lockdown 2005

3. X-Division Champion AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe - Turning Point 2005

4. X-Division Champion Samoa Joe vs AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels - Against All Odds 2006

5. TNA World Heavyweight Champion AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels vs Samoa Joe - Turning Point 2009

6 TNA World Tag Team Champions America's Most Wanted vs AJ Styles/Christopher Daniels - Slammiversary 2006

Those are just the ones I have seen that I would rate higher than 4 stars.

Comparing AJ to Kofi is such an insult.

AJ Lee is pretty terrible so he doesn't have much to beat there. That said, he was pretty great as nerdy geek in Christian's stable years ago. If they play up the comic book dork aspect, he could be a decent Santino level guy at the very least. Still, AJ can be pretty good if someone can reel him in. I enjoyed his tag team with Tomko before that got randomly killed.

AJ Lee is pretty terrible so he doesn't have much to beat there. That said, he was pretty great as nerdy geek in Christian's stable years ago. If they play up the comic book dork aspect, he could be a decent Santino level guy at the very least. Still, AJ can be pretty good if someone can reel him in. I enjoyed his tag team with Tomko before that got randomly killed.

Lee doesn't speak with a horrible southern accent, hate gay people (the GAY community!?) & her tattoo is easily hidden, not taking up the entire side of her torso. They're both decent bumpers. Also for whatever it's worth (I have no idea if it even matters or if WWE cares) but Lee has 1.2 million Twitter followers. I think she's ahead in the game. Plus Styles is already 36, what does he bring to the table to WWE that they can't get from calling someone up from NXT that is a decade younger? Some flippy spots? Quoting some bible verses?

I see absolutely zero in AJ Styles at this point in the game. Had he gotten into developmental a few years back, maybe. I'm sort of out of the loop as it pertains to Indy guys though. I also think the Young Bucks are dreadful & the biggest star in ROH is Maria. I guess I just want different stuff from my wrestling. I know Styles has a following.

Styles could be good if WWE went out of their way to try to mask his weaknesses. He needs gear that covers his tattoo, he needs to never talk...half his spots WWE will never let him do. I actually think an NXT stint could do him well. Developmental, for the bad rap it gets, did wonders for a guy like Tyler Black.

So, I guess to answer the thread title, I don't wanna see it & I don't think I ever will. I think it's too late in the game for Styles & he doesn't really have name value or appeal to make up for having to start over from scratch.

Lee doesn't speak with a horrible southern accent, hate gay people (the GAY community!?) & her tattoo is easily hidden, not taking up the entire side of her torso. They're both decent bumpers. Also for whatever it's worth (I have no idea if it even matters or if WWE cares) but Lee has 1.2 million Twitter followers. I think she's ahead in the game. Plus Styles is already 36, what does he bring to the table to WWE that they can't get from calling someone up from NXT that is a decade younger? Some flippy spots? Quoting some bible verses

Not sure what any of those first three and Twitter have to do with ring work. Yeah, Styles being homophobic is unfortunate, but wrestlers in general are terrible people so stuff like that kind of has to be pushed to the back of your mind if you're going to enjoy any wrestler besides someone like Lance Storm.

(OT: This is going to come off as sexist, but pretty much all of the women in WWE are terrible to average (those being just barely). There's this strange awkwardness in all mainstream women's matches where they hesitate just a second too long or dive in too fast and almost kill their opponent. There's no smoothness in any of their ring work. 99% of diva matches, especially the rare longer ones, just seem like they're slapped together with movez. I'm including the much heralded NXT women's division too. I watched a few Paige matches and she seems awfully green for someone who's been wrestling for 7 years. Watched a match against a women named Emma and it was very bland. Emma also looks a bit dangerous. That crossbody in the corner looks really bad.)

It'd be good for AJ to make it to the big time, a healthy and regular paycheck is a beautiful thing, but I can't say as though I'm going to be heartbroken if there's no interest in him. He can tour the indy scene and probably charge top dollar, and one of the major Japanese companies will probably want him.

AJ has been getting paid around $ 300 K , per various wrestling sites. I cannot see the WWE paying that kind of money to a TNA talent . AJ works a very stiff style that would not mesh with WWE. Also I don't think AJ would get along very well with Crazy Vince & family . He is staying with TNA anyway , this is all a work .

Outside of TNA only WWE , NJPW and ROH have the money to paid him . It a shame the tightwads at Sinclair Broadcasting won't considering paying a talent like Styles .

AJ has been getting paid around $ 300 K , per various wrestling sites. I cannot see the WWE paying that kind of money to a TNA talent . AJ works a very stiff style that would not mesh with WWE. Also I don't think AJ would get along very well with Crazy Vince & family . He is staying with TNA anyway , this is all a work .

Outside of TNA only WWE , NJPW and ROH have the money to paid him . It a shame the tightwads at Sinclair Broadcasting won't considering paying a talent like Styles .

Why would RoH pay 300 K per year (adjust for whatever it would be per appearance) for Styles? AJ won't leave TNA for less. The only reason he MIGHT leave for WWE (won't happen) is because he wants the POTENTIAL to earn more by being a main eventer (again, won't happen long term). The best he can hope for is a small run of dream matches with certain guys that WWE knows would get the geeks to shell out money for.

Why would RoH pay 300 K per year (adjust for whatever it would be per appearance) for Styles? AJ won't leave TNA for less. The only reason he MIGHT leave for WWE (won't happen) is because he wants the POTENTIAL to earn more by being a main eventer (again, won't happen long term). The best he can hope for is a small run of dream matches with certain guys that WWE knows would get the geeks to shell out money for.

ROH needs to sign 3 or 4 top guys to show their remaining fans they are serious about promoting wrestling . Right now ROH is just low budget tv programming for Sinclair.

Sinclair Broadcasting had a net profit of $ 36 million dollars last quarter . Sinclair stock is trading around $ 34 per share as oppose to the WWE $ 14 per share. ROH can easliy pay AJ Styles , John Morrison , Alex Shelly , etc. However Sinclair runs ROH on the cheap .

ROH needs to sign 3 or 4 top guys to show their remaining fans they are serious about promoting wrestling . Right now ROH is just low budget tv programming for Sinclair.

Sinclair Broadcasting had a net profit of $ 36 million dollars last quarter . Sinclair stock is trading around $ 34 per share as oppose to the WWE $ 14 per share. ROH can easliy pay AJ Styles , John Morrison , Alex Shelly , etc. However Sinclair runs ROH on the cheap .

Again, no indy in the world should pay a PPA equivalent of 300K. That is an insanely irresponsible way of spending money. Sinclair is not responsible nor should they be for ROH's roster quality and financial cosmetics. The truth is, maybe RoH is JUST a low cost cheap programming to fill their network? If RoH shows growth in that they deserve investment, I am sure they would be happy to, but nothing so far says anything that they should look at the idea.