Pro Wrestling Only

Where the Big Boys Play #57

http://placetobenation.com/where-the-big-b...llision-course/

starrcade90.png

Chad and Parv welcome Brad from Place to Be Nation to review Starrcade 90: Collision Course.

- [16:12] Wrestling Observer and Torch round up including: Pat O'Connor's wife vs. Sam Muchnick, various comings and goings including the loss of the Nasty Boys, and *thank God* good riddance to Ole Anderson as booker.

- [45:41] Starrcade 90 review including: Jim Cornette's Christmas poem about Evil Jim Herd, WTBBP "welcomes" back Jack Victory, a wide spectrum of opinion on Steiners vs. Saito and Muta, and *thank God* good riddance to the Black Scorpion.

- [02:59:38] End of show awards and question for the listeners: who could have realistically represented Canada in the tag tournament better than Troy Montour and Danny "Bull" Johnson?

The PWO-PTBN Podcast Network features great shows you can find right here at Place to Be Nation. By subscribing on iTunes or SoundCloud, you’ll have access to new episodes, bonus content, as well as a complete archive of: Where the Big Boys Play, Titans of Wrestling, Pro-Wrestling Super-Show, Good Will Wrestling, and Wrestling With the Past.

I just finished watching the show and I will give the podcast a listen later (Going to try to do this through out 2014), but here are my thoughts.

I really loved the feel of this show. You had the national anthem, a bunch of countries represented in a tournament, sports facts and a cool looking ring. Loved the Starrcade written on the ring posts.

The matches were all fun, although sometimes short, they was at least fun things in each contest. Crazy spots like Rocco Rock doing a dive to the floor and being caught in a power bomb.

The three matches I would rate were Hansen-Luger (*** 3/4), Doom vs. Horsemen (****) and the tag tournament finals (*** 1/2).

I would have the Doom match higher if not for the finish, but what can you do.

Like I said, it all had this cool sports feel through out, until the main event. A complete change of pace and really felt out of place on this show. The match was alright, but the angle was too over powering in it.

Looking forward to the podcast later today.

Listening to the show and I got to the question of the show. I am embarrassed by the guys my country choose to represent us.

Here is a list of potential Canadians: Dan Kroffatt (Phil LaFon), Chris Benoit, Owen Hart, Keith Hart, Bruce Hart, Ben Bassarab, Leo Burke, Carl Ouellet, Jacques Rougeau, Tiger Jeet Singh, Vampiro, and Biff Wellington.

Any two of those guys would had made a better team easily.

I believe the first Mountie vignettes had aired by the time Starrcade 90 was broadcast, so that would leave Jacques out actually.

Oh, still a hell of a lot of better options than what they chose. Hell, there was probably 50 guys in Canada that we haven't heard of that were better than Mantuar and Johnson.

I decided to watch the Steiners vs . Saito/ Muta match since everybody seems to have different opinions on it and such . I'd give it 2 3/4*. I liked the early shine by the Steiners . Scott and Muta on the mat was fun for the short time we got it . When Rick and Saito got it on I loved how it looked like Rick was going for a Steinerline only to cross up Saito and nail him with a drop kick. Heck I was expecting Steinerline. Eventually, Rick is put FIP and he isn't really compelling in that role. Eventually he gets the hot tag . Scotty in and kicks ass for a minute than goes FIP. We get a cluster fuck at the finish and Rick nails a sunset flip off the top rope over Scotty for the 3. The finish was sudden, but made sense since the teams were being positioned as different sides of the same coin. So a trick play was what decided the match .It was a solid match that left much to be desired.

I decided to watch the Steiners vs . Saito/ Muta match since everybody seems to have different opinions on it and such . I'd give it 2 3/4*. I liked the early shine by the Steiners . Scott and Muta on the mat was fun for the short time we got it . When Rick and Saito got it on I loved how it looked like Rick was going for a Steinerline only to cross up Saito and nail him with a drop kick. Heck I was expecting Steinerline. Eventually, Rick is put FIP and he isn't really compelling in that role. Eventually he gets the hot tag . Scotty in and kicks ass for a minute than goes FIP. We get a cluster fuck at the finish and Rick nails a sunset flip off the top rope over Scotty for the 3. The finish was sudden, but made sense since the teams were being positioned as different sides of the same coin. So a trick play was what decided the match .It was a solid match that left much to be desired.

Glad you have the correct opinion on this match Pete.

As the guy who went **1/2 (Chad was ***), I'm onboard with this compromise.