Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Network... It's Here

goodhelmet

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some things Ive pondered while binging Mid Atlantic:

Jim Crocketts title fetish is a thing to behold. I thought JCP circa 1986 was bad, but theres just as many here with half the roster.

Pvt Jim Nelson appears to have the same proportions as a little person in a full size body. Its amazing to think this is the guy who would become Boris Zukov.

Its hard to look a Paul Jones and not see anything other than the geek manager.

Some things Ive pondered while binging Mid Atlantic:

Its hard to look a Paul Jones and not see anything other than the geek manager.

The team of Jones and Monte is visually weird, with similar hair/mustaches. You almost think they could have packaged that, but I have no idea how. If it was 1988 WWF they could have been a heel Highway Patrol type team.

Bob Caudle continues to be my favorite announcer on these shows. I'm biased since he was one of the ones I grew up with, and I get how someone who grew up with Memphis could see him as a discount Lance Russell, but it's like watching wrestling with your Grandpa while he does his best to keep these beasts from destroying the studio during interviews.

I'm totally befuddled how Jacques Goulet beat Dusty in the first round of the 81 US Title Tournament. It was absolutely hilarious when Crockett was interviewing McGee about Idol's figure four and ran out of time while McGee was trying to explain what part of the leg it affected on him because he was so short. The production value, in general, feels laughable, even relative to other territories in 81.

I heard a story lately that Jake got named "The snake" by Valiant on his way in and I don't think this footage bears that out, but we're missing stuff and I don't know how long Valiant was off TV during the transition between Handsome and Boogie-Woogie. At the first bit of footage, he's got the hat with the snake on it, and he's called that by Youngblood in October when they're showing the hype video for "man from new york city" valiant, which obviously lost the song.

Oh the dubs are awful. Come on Vince, forget about football and for the love of God open up the wallet and pay for the music rights!

Really good match between Piper and Jay Youngblood on the 10/17/81 show

That's where I'm stuck because i can't just half watch it like I've been doing.

I think Mid Atlantic TV in 1981 comes off far more polished than WWF, WCCW and AWA and several other territories for sure. Actually, I think you could make the argument that overall--talent, in-ring, promos, business, TV--Mid Atlantic was the most well rounded territory going at the time

I don't know, I've watched a ton of Mid-Atlantic TV since the release and it's fun, but I keep thinking about how Memphis at this time seemed 15 years ahead of everyone when it came to TV. Overall roster and house shows could be different.

Oh for sure, Memphis was awesome and had the most enjoyable TV show. But I think Mid Atlantic had a deeper pool of full time talent and bigger business. It's close. Georgia is also in the conversation

I guess WWE is just going to have to dump a ton of Georgia on the network so we can settle this.

Is the Georgia footage in decent shape? I've never seen anything that didn't look like a 7th gen VHS transfer (even on offical WWE releases) which is odd considering they taped at the WTBS studios and Ted Turner is famous for being obsessed with preservation.

Yeah, my main complaint about Mid Atlantic after going through a half dozen episodes is that everybody seems to be feuding with everybody and nothing stands out. Sgt. Slaughter's progress from debuting, quickly winning the US title, and then recruiting Jim Nelson and doing the full drill sargeant routine on him is a ton of fun though

Yeah, my main complaint about Mid Atlantic after going through a half dozen episodes is that everybody seems to be feuding with everybody and nothing stands out. Sgt. Slaughter's progress from debuting, quickly winning the US title, and then recruiting Jim Nelson and doing the full drill sargeant routine on him is a ton of fun though

It sounds like one problem is us not getting to see the local promos that gave more clarity to what's going on. Like, we see a segment with Sandy Scott saying there will be a cage match between Slaughter/Kernodle-Steamboat/Youngblood, but the real hype for the match must have just been in local promos that aren't here. Like, wasn't there a stip that Stemaboat and Youngblood would have to split up if they lost? We don't get that.

Georgia TV has the advantage that it was on TBS so we get to see everything. Memphis WMC footage is ideal, but often the Louisville or Evansville feeds would have cards close enough to the MSC show to get a feel for what's going on. Territories like Crockett and New York had more general TV since they were running so many different shows. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken here.