Pro Wrestling Only

Jerry "The King" Lawler

Grimmas

Top 30 lock for me just by peak alone. If his post-80s stuff holds up, I can see myself putting him in my top 10, honestly. Lawler is what Hogan was but hundred times better, and he's among the best ever in a lot of categories (babyfaces, sellers, brawlers, heels, charisma, coming back...).

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Lawler's post 80s stuff reaches the heights of Terry Funk's. But there's quite a lot of really good-great stuff. Your mileage may vary on how much you like it and how much it adds to his case, but its certainly not a negative. Lawler is one of those candidates that just obliterates the peak/longevity question and the interviews/extracurricular stuff question. At his best from say 1981-87, Lawler is as great as anyone ever. He was great before that and very good-great for basically forever after that. If you're a "WHAT ABOUT PROMOS AND SKITS?" person, Lawler belongs in your top tier for that alone too. 

For these kind of projects I'm more of a ringwork guy, don't care about mic stuff, but obviously how you display your gimmick and charisma while wrestling are huge parts of how much I enjoy watching you wrestle, and the ellte mic guys usually do that with ease. Lawler is one of those.

The real interesting thing about King to me, promo wise, is how completely different his face and heel promos were. Most of the big names when you think of top promo guys generally kept the same energy as heels or faces (thinking of the Hogans, Flairs, Savages, Pipers, Austins, Rocks), but Lawler's heel and face promos are so far apart in both energy and tone that it might as well be two different guys. The only others I can think of that can really flip the switch so drastically are Foley and Terry Funk, who depending on if they were heel or face could be either a shrieking insane person or kindly friendly grandpa type who wouldn't hurt a fly. 

King's heel promos were ultimate cheap heat corny as hell almost whiny shitbag, but his face promos were just normal guy casually talking like a regular human.

• 5 weeks later...

Lawler was my number 4 in 2016 and he'll be around the top 5 again in 2026. "A minimalist's dream," the history books would write. I get where people are coming from when they say they want more STUFF, and I honestly don't say that be snide or sarcastic or whatever. He IS a minimalist and some people prefer the maximalist. He's maybe the best puncher ever (I say maybe because I've watched a bunch of Sangre Chicana lately) and I'm completely fine with that being his primary offensive move, but I know some people would prefer a bit more wrestling. I actually think he's a perfectly fine mat wrestler and it's not like he didn't do actual wrestling moves, but...it is what it is. I love what he does and how he does it and he has a boatload of fucking awesome matches doing it (I could easily have rattled off 50 down below), so that'll get you pretty high on my list. One of the all-time great babyfaces with some of the most immaculate timing you could want, a sneak under-the-radar great - and sometimes huge - bumper, stuuuupid longevity, etc. He's great in singles and great in tags, in the cage, in a barbed wire ring, pulling horse shit or working straight. I actually do, however, buy into the point about him maybe lacking that real proper streak of savage bastardry as a heel. I'm not saying it's a huge thing to me, because I could count on one hand the amount of wrestlers I want to see working as shifty conniving heel more than Lawler, but his peers like Funk and Hansen have those performances where they're rabid insane animals you'd buy trying to stab someone or strangle them with a bull rope. When their backs are against the wall, Bockwinkel, Rose and Flair all have that real vicious streak. With Lawler, I don't really remember seeing it very often (the hair match vs Dundee from '77 is a good example, though). Still, his run as a babyface is so good that it more or less offsets it, to the point where I'm not entirely sure I'll have any Americans above him (only one I had over him last time was Hansen). He might also be The King, if you will, of the match-angle amalgamation. 

JERRY LAWLER YOU SHOULD WATCH:

v Bill Dundee (Memphis, 8/22/77)

v Harley Race (Memphis, 12/10/77)

v Terry Funk (Memphis, 3/23/81)

v Terry Funk (Memphis, 4/6/81)

v Dutch Mantell (Memphis, 3/22/82)

v Dutch Mantell (Memphis, 3/29/82)

v Ric Flair (Memphis, 8/14/82)

v Nick Bockwinkel (Memphis, 11/8/82)

v Bill Dundee (Memphis, 6/6/83)

w/Randy Savage v King Kong Bundy & Rick Rude (Memphis, 9/17/84)

v Randy Savage (Memphis, 6/3/85)

v Bill Dundee (Memphis, 12/30/85)

w/Dutch Mantell v Bill Dundee & Buddy Landel (Memphis, 3/10/86)

v Bill Dundee (Memphis, 7/14/86)

v Bam Bam Bigelow (Memphis, 9/7/86)

w/Bam Bam Bigelow v Austin Idol & Tommy Rich (Memphis, 3/23/87) 

v Austin Idol (Memphis, 4/27/87)

w/Bill Dundee v Original Midnight Express (AWA, 10/30/87)

v Curt Hennig (Memphis, 5/9/88)

v Tommy Rich (SCW, 10/2/88)

v Eric Embry (UWSA, 9/8/89)

v The Snowman (USWA, 6/2/90)

v Bret Hart (WWF Summerslam, 8/30/93)

v Terry Funk (MLW, 8/22/03)

v The Miz (WWE Elimination Chamber, 2/20/11)

Love watching Lawler. He has no real "moves" but he can make a real compelling match doing very little. Lawler made excellent uses of his punches - a wide variety of the kind - and great selling to connect to the audience, while still keeping true to his opponents style. Within a week, he has two great matches with Terry and Dory Funk Jr who have totally different styles while doing the same thing, and I wouldn't call the matches the same at all. It's hard to be limited, for a lack of a better word, and have many different types of matches that feel different.