Pro Wrestling Only

Samoa Joe

Grimmas

3 hours ago, Boss Rock said:

That trios match looks great.

It was an awesome bit of chaos. The ROH vs. CZW feud hit some high peaks. The Cage of Death blowoff is also worth watching if you've never seen it, though it's much more heavily booked than the six-man and lacking Super Dragon. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Childs said:

It was an awesome bit of chaos. The ROH vs. CZW feud hit some high peaks. The Cage of Death blowoff is also worth watching if you've never seen it, though it's much more heavily booked than the six-man and lacking Super Dragon. 

I love the Cage of Death match, but having Super Dragon would've definitely been a plus.

Nate Webb was crazy in that match, yeah. Lunatic bump after lunatic bump. I remember watching it the first time not really knowing much about the CZW guys and thinking I should watch every Nate Webb match ever just out of gratitude for him dying several deaths for our sadistic viewing pleasure. I could still probably count on the one hand the number of Nate Webb matches I've seen to this day, but the sentiment was real in the moment. 

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I think Joe's a good exercise in how much you count prime performances against overall. Joe in RoH, those few golden years in the mid-2000's were easily some of the best in the world, not just in the US. The guy had it all in my book and then some, having good to great matches against virtually anyone through the door, at times he'd just get paired with random lads out of the blue and still knock it out of the park.

He joins TNA and the hype is still going: he's got a undefeated streak, he's getting incredibly over with the crowds....then things start to slowly unravel. His Japan return in 2007 is a failure, being laughed out of the building after trying to get a presence in NOAH, TNA slowly shove him down the card and his demotivation becomes VERY clear after a while. Add that up alongside a lot of injuries and the dude drops off a cliff. He's still very good when he's on the game (I think he got a actually pretty solid bout out of Nash once?) but he falls into a black hole by the time 2012 or so hits. His WWE run is....mixed, but I think they made the best out of the guy given his injury issues really never stopped when he got there: if anything, they probably got worse with the quantity of matches. I'd still put him on a hypothetical top 100, but at the same time it's quite hard to place him proper as this thread definitely makes clear.

I will say that people are somewhat sleeping on his ZERO-ONE stuff through, for a one year rookie he makes sure that doesn't look like the case