Pro Wrestling Only

Dark horses and personal favorites

DR Ackermann

There are a number of candidates that were great wrestlers/personal favorites but I’m on the fence about. I know they were awesome but do they have the resume compared to other candidates? With these guys I’m obviously a little biased so I am seeking out as much as possible in hopes of them having enough to justify being on my ballot. Who are these guys for you?

For me its guys like Dirty White Boy, Rick Rude, Brian Pillman, Eric Embry, Larry Zbyszko, Matt Borne, Kuniaki Kobayashi & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi.

Bobby Fish, Shelton Benjamin, Rip Rogers, Danny Davis (territory guy, not WWF guy), Terry Taylor, Jake Roberts, Yoshinobu Kanemru, Shane Douglas, John Morrison, Yoshinari Ogawa.

I'd say Terry Taylor is pretty much a lock, but I don't see him talked about much, so I tossed him in there. Can't see Fish not making it either, I've always thought he was an under the radar great wrestler. The rest are very much on the fence.

Lotta my picks for this would probably be more modern indie guys. Most are on the fence but still feel would be darkhorses to move onto and up my ballot.

• Samoa Joe:
    • Nominated but not sure how well he'll do. Some of the best stuff in TNA history with his ROH LEGEND stuff being my cup of tea from what I've seen.
  • Cesaro:
    • Obviously he has the last couple years. Want to dig back into his indie stuff that I really enjoyed at the time. If his PWG stuff holds up I have no problem putting him on my ballot.
  • El Generico
    • Much trickier than the prior two and probably the most "on the fence" of the group leaning one way right now. His feud with Steen and his PWG work in general though is outstanding off the top of my head. Enjoyed his couple matches with Sami Callihan more than most.
  • Matt Sydal
    • Not nominated yet and I probably should do that pretty soon. Great highflyer. Awesome bumper. Had a pretty sweet WWE run. What will hold him back is the past couple years where he's been MIA. Being in the thick of the indie scene and possibly an international promotion would do wonders for him though in regards to making up ground.
  • Chris Hero
    • There's been times he's looked like an all-time elite wrestler and other times where he looks like an indie dude just trying to get as much shit as he possibly can in.

Really unsure how much of a "dark horse" any of those guys are. Matt Sydal being not nominated yet probably classifies best.

This is my Rip Rogers, Bobby Bass, Chris Colt category. With some I just don't know if there's the footage.

Chris Colt shows up in 1986 Continental but he feels extremely out of place and it's not anything I think you'd want to use for a case. He's there about 6 months from around June/July of 86 though into the beginning of 1987.

More minis. Mascarita Dorada/El Torito seems like a lock at this point. Mascarita Sagrada I need to see more, but has a chance. Espectricito is the same as Sagrada.

There are tons more though that need further evaluation, but look awesome in the bits I have seen including: Mini Abismo Negro and Demus 3:16.