Pro Wrestling Only

What is the future of NXT?

Dylan Waco

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do they go from here with the booking? At this point, it would seem underwhelming if they blow off the Joe / Owens feud before the next Takeover show. They're also putting Balor over so heavily before the show in Japan that many are speculating he will win the title. If he does that and Owens is tied up with Joe, who does he feud with? Baron Corbin? Tyler Breeze?

On the women's side, if they want to stick with a babyface to go against Sasha then it's either Charlotte or Bayley, and the Bayley matchup would be fresher.

As much as I am a fan of NXT bringing in underutilized performers of the main roster for short runs, putting the healthy Uso brother in a title program seems like a bad idea. He is too ingrained in his tag team identity. I don't know if the audience would be able to suspend their disbelief for a guy they know will return to the main roster as soon as his brother is cleared to return...well unless the brother is slated to be out for months in which case nevermind.

I'm actually a big fan of bringing main guys down for short runs. It adds to the territory feel of NXT, gives guys a chance to have more ring time and work on aspects of their games. Besides, it's all about how someone is pushed, so if they push Jey Uso as someone the fans should watch out for in a singles setting and he delivers in the ring; the fans will respond to him.

Yeah Cesaro/Joe sounds pretty bad ass to me. Swagger is a guy I'd like to see reinvent himself in NXT. He had a good match with Zayn last year. I definitely wouldn't mind a Real Americans reunion with them beating the shit out of sucky ass Blake & Murphy, and having a run helping Cass and Enzo get to the next level.

Corbin would also benefit from working Swagger.

They were kind of ok as the midcard face team that would occasionally pull off cool shit. I think the heel run has really exposed how bland and how reliant on movez they are as workers. Their attempts at showing personality basically consist of Blake saying look at my stupid hair, and the other one doesn't even pretend to have a personality. Their existence has led to Alexa Bliss wearing really skimpy shorts so I can't say they're completely worthless.

Would Tyler Breeze have a chance of being at the Sheamus-Barrett-Dolph level on the main roster, or are they more likely to use him as a comedy figure like Fandango? Also, it seems like a feud between Dolph and Breeze would be a natural first direction.

Man, the complete non-existence of Sami Callahan for the last two years has been such a squandered opportunity. Even if they want him to be a jobber, he could be the best jobber they've ever had.

I am absolutely baffled by his booking so far. They give him this gimmick, that really isn't a gimmick, but what small bit of gimmick there is, they don't seem to want to commit too. He's had 3 or 4 different haircuts in the few times he has been on TV. Seems like every time he gets a win, the next week he is booked against Baron Corbin or someone else who absolutely trashes any momentum he may have gained from the previous win.

I seriously don't get it. He could work as a face or heel. He can keep up with all the other indy guys who are currently dominating the top of the card. His shit looks good.

There has to be something backstage, or someone in a position of power working against him. Nothing else makes sense.

I'm trying to remember what the talk was surrounding him getting signed back in the day, but it's honestly been so long ago now that I can't recall. Wasn't it the showings he had against Finlay that ultimately led to him getting a look? Or was it just a typical tryout?

Either way, it feels like a MAJOR misfire on their part. Callihan's done next to nothing during his time there, and - I could be wrong - but I think the injury is only just a recent happening. Like really, really recent. So that's no excuse.

I'm happy for the guy's bank account & his quality of life (if either's been greatly improved) since he got signed and all that, but man. The selfish fan in me wants to say I'd much rather have seen him tearing it up on the indies for the past two years instead of THIS shitty alternative of (basically) nonexistence. It's a shame.

Drew Gulak was said to have been the standout at the recent tryouts. I hope they sign him because I desperately want mat wrestling to be worked back into the WWE style. Sasha/Becky stood out so much because of the mat work in that match, and I loved every second of it.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but if Gulak is signed? In that scenario, I think it's much more realistic to assume that he'll come around to working a WWE style before the entire WWE style will be rearranged to accommodate more mat work.

I'm sure he'll get to do some token spots, but I don't see it breaking down boundaries or being much more than what we got from, say for instance, Regal.

Didn't Chuck Taylor go to the recent tryouts? He's a tall guy, and while he doesn't necessarily have a bodybuilder frame or anything... the guy's loaded with charisma & is a super fun babyface. He's crowd-friendly and seems like someone that could be given an outside shot from them. I wouldn't expect him to make major waves, but I could see him nestle into a comedic undercard babyface or something.

Of course, I assumed the same fate for Colt Cabana at one time. And that went way south in a hurry.

In NXT they could bring him in because Regal likes his style, and have his mat expertise be a big part of his act. At this point it's something that would help him stand out from the pack. Guys like him and Gable could perhaps change the culture a little bit, but it would have to start in NXT. I don't have any expectations of the entire style changing, but having a handful of guys on the roster known for their mat wrestling and submission skills would change things up for the better imo.