Pro Wrestling Only

What is the future of NXT?

Dylan Waco

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but I don't think that it'll be an oversaturation issue as much as that it'll make it harder to book the tapings.

I think it will be both those things, and yes, terrible. What makes the NXT specials feel so different is that they are spaced out and they allow for the matches to be built to That is gone now, and instead they will become common events instead of must tune in to see events.

Went to the NXT show tonight in Orlando. Two things stood out. They had two women's matches( Dana/Carmella vs Bayley/Bliss and Sasha/Charlotte/Becky. I can't remember the last time they had two womens matches on a house show. Both matches were real good and had the most heat of all the matches. Main event was Sami Zayn vs Scott Dawson. Dawson won a battle royal to face Zayn in the main. He looked real good in this match and really hanged with Zayn. He should get a bigger push as a singles guy.

Corbin worked as a tweener vs Tyler Breeze. It was the best I've seen out of Corbin as he got good heel heat.

• 1 month later...

Wanted to get this thread started now because of some news that broke a couple hours ago from a wReddit insider that got picked up by SBNation:

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/5/15/8613721/samoa-joe-wwe-rumors-debut-nxt-takeover-unstoppable

Pretty sure it's the right move, and with all the injuries that have been sustained, he's coming in at a very opportune time.

THE CARD:

NXT Championship
Kevin Owens © vs. Sami Zayn
NXT Women’s Championship
Sasha Banks © vs. Becky Lynch
NXT Tag Team Chcampionship
Blake & Murphy © vs. Enzo Amore & Big Cass
#1 Contender’s Match
Finn Balor vs. Tyler Breeze
Bayley & Charlotte vs. Dana Brooke & Emma
Baron Corbin vs. Rhyno

It's the right move if they go for it. Irregardless of how hurt Zayn is, he's probably on the main roster sometime this summer anyway. That leaves a big hole at the top of the card that I'm not really sure that either Balor, Itami, or a face-turned Breeze could fill. Joe's recent ROH run showed that he could probably get himself into that spot rather quickly, if allowed to.

Anyway, if your planning to watch Unstoppable, you should check out this week's show. Just a great "Go Home" show from start to finish. From Corbin vs Crowe's stiff shots and crazy bumping, to the combination of creative editing and dumb luck that allowed them to work Zayn's injury into the main event. Hell, Carmella had a really good promo that got her over without Enzo and Cass around.

The only match I'm worried about is Banks/Lynch. If I was creative I'd be worried about the crowd wanting to turn Sasha face since Becky doesn't really have a character. I don't think the crowd will get behind her smiling babyface who's "living the dream" when she pretty much stole this title shot from Charlotte.

The National Post (a Toronto-based national newspaper here in Canada) has a story online about NXT and the future of women's wrestling: http://news.nationalpost.com/arts/television/wwe-executive-vice-president-paul-triple-h-levesques-plan-to-get-more-women-wrestling. Nothing all that new here, but interesting to see this get some coverage in a major newspaper.

I like the idea of NXT being its own viable entity while still being a WWE feeder system, not unlike what the AHL is to the NHL. This makes it useful as a proving ground for innovations in the product, as well as for performers. Not unlike the way that hockey rule changes are given a trial run in the AHL before being implemented in the NHL, NXT can be used as proof-of-concept for changes to the way the product is presented, including the notion that a serious women's division can be an integral part of a wrestling show. Of course, if no one upstairs is watching....

The National Post (a Toronto-based national newspaper here in Canada) has a story online about NXT and the future of women's wrestling: http://news.nationalpost.com/arts/television/wwe-executive-vice-president-paul-triple-h-levesques-plan-to-get-more-women-wrestling. Nothing all that new here, but interesting to see this get some coverage in a major newspaper.

I like the idea of NXT being its own viable entity while still being a WWE feeder system, not unlike what the AHL is to the NHL. This makes it useful as a proving ground for innovations in the product, as well as for performers. Not unlike the way that hockey rule changes are given a trial run in the AHL before being implemented in the NHL, NXT can be used as proof-of-concept for changes to the way the product is presented, including the notion that a serious women's division can be an integral part of a wrestling show. Of course, if no one upstairs is watching....

If the NXT is the AHL, then the WWE needs it's own version of the NCAA/Major Juniors in Canada and Europe to feed it. AHL is a finishing ground not a starting point. The current guys they recruit and train from scratch don't fit in anymore.

I thought the guys that they are recruiting and training from scratch end up getting put on house shows after they train long enough in the Performance Center. I don't think there is really anything wrong with leaving those guys in the PC for a year or so before actually putting them on real shows.

I thought the guys that they are recruiting and training from scratch end up getting put on house shows after they train long enough in the Performance Center. I don't think there is really anything wrong with leaving those guys in the PC for a year or so before actually putting them on real shows.

Working in front of crowds only helps, doesn't it?

I still think they should train guys in the PC, then send them out to Japan, Europe, Indies etc.. for a year before bringing them back into NXT. It would probably be the best model they could have.

If the NXT is the AHL, then the WWE needs it's own version of the NCAA/Major Juniors in Canada and Europe to feed it. AHL is a finishing ground not a starting point. The current guys they recruit and train from scratch don't fit in anymore.

I still think they should train guys in the PC, then send them out to Japan, Europe, Indies etc.. for a year before bringing them back into NXT. It would probably be the best model they could have.

Agreed. However, I don't see it happening. Listening to some of the things Triple H has said on the Austin and Jericho podcasts, it sounds as though the corporate position is that indie wrestlers don't really know how to work. If they really have that much contempt for non-WWE wrestling product, it seems unlikely that the WWE would ever allow its PC-trained wrestlers to get seasoned on the indie circuit--as Trips would say, they'd just pick up 'bad habits'.

Even though the WWE has signed some big-name indie talent, one still gets the sense that what the WWE 'braintrust' (Vince specifically?) really wants to sign raw athletes and turn them into wrestlers sports entertainers from scratch. It almost seems as if they only sign Indie guys because they know they need to. If the WWE could succeed in taking football washouts and bodybuilders and drawing money with them, I'm pretty sure it would forever eschew indie workers entirely.

I'm with JAC on this. According to Vince, the wrestling done outside the WWE is "different" as specified by the "sports entertainment" moniker rather than pro wrestling. There does seem to be a high level of contempt from Vince towards anything that comes from the indies. It's almost worse than somebody being big in WCW or one of the other territories, which always seemed to piss Vince off more than a little. Then you add in how everything is heavily scripted and controlled, why would they send people to the places around the country or the globe where they called matches on the fly and, as mentioned, may pick up "bad habits." It's not that I disagree with the idea that indy wrestling has always nurtured certain bad habits in wrestlers, but I'm not going to pretend the WWE style is somehow beyond reproach. So I don't see them seasoning people like Enzo, Cass, Mojo, etc. around the world or the indies first. It would also be difficult for them to convince indy promotions to take their guys given the WWE's overall attitude towards the indies as well as the recent talent raids.

As for what they are trying to do, I think there were two major shifts between July 2014 and Fatal Four Way in both production and presentation. A bunch of people got new music (sometimes more than once). Entrances became more grand. The angles and interviews became a lot more similar to the main shows than what they had been. Regal was named GM and they started having references and angles involving him. They gave the show a lot more polish and started to make it a lot more like watching a shorter Raw or Smackdown. What this means in the long run I don't know, but it seems like they stopped looking at NXT as some sort of feeder show to develop guys for their undercard alone. The undercard is filled with guys like that, but once you get to the main event there's a lot of really good ex-indy talent hanging around. And they even brought the racist booking with the Ascension trying to chase Itami out, all the while telling him to "go home." The tag titles seem like they are still used in the developmental sense, which is odd given Vince's aversion to tag wrestling. Why build a bunch of tag teams out of your young guys when tag wrestling is mostly dead in the WWE proper? There are a lot of contradictions between the stated purpose of NXT and what has happened.

That makes it really hard to say what it truly is at this point, but my feeling is that it's some sort of hybrid where the WWE attracts all this indy talent to hold the top of the card over and maybe kill off some of the bigger indy buzz. All the while they are developing their own guys who will eventually be using whatever indy talent is there when they are ready (or somebody in the WWE believes they are) to springboard into the main event and quickly into the WWE proper. But they are going to be telling these indy guys all along the way that their turn on the main roster is coming.

It seems like they call up a few guys each year, but with the rate they are signing up big indy names that's what, 4-5 years down the road for some of them? And we know that Vince has no vested interest in things he didn't create. So if one of the PC guys picks it up in the meantime to the point where it is feasible to put them over a name guy, what do you think is going to happen? Will they choose Joe, KENTA, Owens, etc. or whatever one of the guys "they made" like a Baron Corbin to give a big push and then move up? It just makes more sense with the way that the WWE operates. You think that Cena and Batista didn't have a bit of an advantage being products of the WWE system in terms of push and how many chances they were given to get big? There will be big indy names that do make the big show in between, but given the choice the WWE run by Vince will be pushing "their" guys over indy guys any day of the week.

The last two Manias ended with Brian Danielson and Tyler Black holding the world title over their heads. Jon Moxley is the current challenger for the world title, and Kevin Steen is wrestling John Cena in his first match on the main roster. The times have changed. Sure there will be guys like Reigns(who's a good wrestler tbh) Cena, and Kane around, but the turn around they've done on giving indy talent a shot over the past several years has been amazing.

Is Kevin Dunn far from retirement age ? He hates wrestling and would try and kill a work rate promotion . Dunn helped ruined the WCW Invasion program . The NXT project will always be in danger with VInce and Dunn still working in the company.. The they leave the company has a shot to improve. Until then I would not be shocked to see more indy guys released and more actors/ body builders and football players hired by the WWE. I hate to say but a lot of these indie wrestlers will be released in the next year ot two , if things hold to form. Vince just hates wrestling. I might be wrong , we shall see.