Pro Wrestling Only

What is the future of NXT?

Dylan Waco

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crowe is just a complete non factor on NXT and it boggles my mind how. He can easily be on the same level of the upper tier guys, especially with the lack of depth right now.

Because Crowe is a complete and utter goof, that's why. His persona makes Jericho at his hammiest look subtle. Awful and embarrassing. I cringe whenever he's on.

In NXT they could bring him in because Regal likes his style, and have his mat expertise be a big part of his act. At this point it's something that would help him stand out from the pack. Guys like him and Gable could perhaps change the culture a little bit, but it would have to start in NXT. I don't have any expectations of the entire style changing, but having a handful of guys on the roster known for their mat wrestling and submission skills would change things up for the better imo.

Now you've got me imagining a scenario where Regal, tired of Owens's antics/bullying, announces that he has searched the globe and has found the new "The Real Man's Man", trotting out Gulak in the same construction worker garb.

Crowe is just a complete non factor on NXT and it boggles my mind how. He can easily be on the same level of the upper tier guys, especially with the lack of depth right now.

Because Crowe is a complete and utter goof, that's why. His persona makes Jericho at his hammiest look subtle. Awful and embarrassing. I cringe whenever he's on.

Are they hamming it up a bit too much? Probably, but that doesn't change the fact that in terms of needing depth in the upper tier and having this guy at your disposal, not using him doesn't make too much sense. I'm not the biggest Crowe fan, but even I can see this guy should be getting used more.

Are they hamming it up a bit too much? Probably, but that doesn't change the fact that in terms of needing depth in the upper tier and having this guy at your disposal, not using him doesn't make too much sense. I'm not the biggest Crowe fan, but even I can see this guy should be getting used more.

It's hard for me to say he's being used badly though when one of his first "televised" matches was against World Champion Kevin Owens. True, he hasn't been on any of the "Specials" yet - and you could probably argue that he's more worthy than, say, Blake and Murphy, who are awful too. But at least they're awful in a way that makes me root for Enzo and Cass or some other team to clean their clocks and win the belts.

On that note, I can only assume they know something about Blake and Murphy that we don't. A few months ago, I thought Becky Lynch was a boring waste of time with no personality. At the last "Special," she proved everyone wrong and blew me away. Is she quite ready for the main roster yet? No, but she's miles ahead of where she was only a few months ago. B&M, in their defense, have played both face and heel and made tweaks to their character, which at least fits the the spirit of what a developmental promotion is supposed to be - trying new stuff out, seeing what works and doesn't, learning and improving, etc.

All of that may happen for Crowe too, but he was shockingly bad from the minute he first appeared on NXT after all of the build-up with the "hacked" TitanTron, etc. I've never seen someone so goofy and "indy." He is absurdly awful as a character and personality. He is badly in need of a complete gimmick overhaul and a lot more time in "promo class" or whatever it is that Dusty used to run.

I don't get Blake and Murphy at all. Sometimes you see something in a guy live that doesn't come across on TV. But even there they are just blank slates. The last show had Mojo Rawley (got booed horribly) and Zack Ryder challenging for the belts. That match was all Mojo and Ryder.

Blake and Murphy shouldn't be doing anything too awesome looking or be legit charismatic. They're bad guys in NXT. The last thing they need is for people think anything about them is cool.

They weren't any better or more interesting, awesome, charismatic, etc. as faces though.

Blake and Murphy shouldn't be doing anything too awesome looking or be legit charismatic. They're bad guys in NXT. The last thing they need is for people think anything about them is cool.

They weren't any better or more interesting, awesome, charismatic, etc. as faces though.

Right. Not really the point. Its two guys who act like they're playing to a loving crowd that actually hates them and not in a smart fan "we're supposed to hate them, aren't they doing a great job?" way. In a real visceral way they're getting hated.

Right. Not really the point. Its two guys who act like they're playing to a loving crowd that actually hates them and not in a smart fan "we're supposed to hate them, aren't they doing a great job?" way. In a real visceral way they're getting hated.

Except, that wasn't their gimmick - at all - when they were faces, so I'm not really sure what you mean exactly. Your interpretation of their heel act is the kind of meta bullshit I hate, but I honestly don't think that's the intention anyway. They're just bland. "Funny" hairstyles and a valet don't really change that. It's just window dressing.

A few months ago, I thought Becky Lynch was a boring waste of time with no personality. At the last "Special," she proved everyone wrong and blew me away. Is she quite ready for the main roster yet? No, but she's miles ahead of where she was only a few months ago.

This isn't really true. I mean for you, I am sure it is, but she didn't prove "everyone" wrong. A lot of people were just waiting for her to break out. I think in terms of the "IWC" (Bear with me here on that term for a second), the WWE's signing of Rebecca Knox was met with more excitement and anticipation than I've ever seen for a female since Kong a few years ago. Ashley Flair was another anticipated signing but for different reasons (curiosity over a Flair daughter and bemusement that it could be a daughter and not any of his sons that successfully follows the footsteps of Ric). Anyways back to the point, Becky Lynch was one of those people that the fans gave the benefit of doubt when she got off to a slow start in her WWE career because they knew how good she was on the independent scene.

That said, Sasha Banks is one of the better workers in the WWE, so let's see if Becky really have finally gotten it in terms of working WWE style well with lesser workers.

Except, that wasn't their gimmick - at all - when they were faces, so I'm not really sure what you mean exactly. Your interpretation of their heel act is the kind of meta bullshit I hate, but I honestly don't think that's the intention anyway. They're just bland. "Funny" hairstyles and a valet don't really change that. It's just window dressing.

Of course that wasn't their gimmick as faces. They had no gimmick as faces . Now it is.

I thought that as faces they at least had interesting spots to insert into a match. Now all they have is a valet/part time wrestler who comes out with them that makes them interesting at all. There is some truth to the idea that they shouldn't be doing a bunch of cool shit because they are heels. It may hurt them a little bit that any cool shit they do at all will overshadow Enzo/Cass so they have to be extra bland to make them look good.

Let's not lose sight of NXT still being a developmental territory at the end of the day. Blake and Murphy aren't exactly lighting up anybody's world right now, but I don't think people should be chomping at the bit to crucify them for it either. These guys are there to learn. This whole process is supposed to be set in place SPECIFICALLY for that purpose, more so than any other.

Yes. It's cool that we get to see so many top flight super indie workers come through. Yes. It's great that they're signing up the best of the best these days, and not letting petty prejudices cloud any of that. At the same time, there's got to be a little wiggle room given to the guys that haven't been selected through that path.

You could say that they should be hidden away off camera & only working house shows until they're deemed "ready", but I don't necessarily agree with that approach. I see posts about the lower-level guys working each other on all these "B" shows or whatever, but what good does that do? Unless they're working with experienced pros & seasoned vets, they're only going to improve so much anyhow. And even then, working those live events & working for television is another beast entirely anyway.

So Blake and Murphy aren't looking like the next coming of the Midnight Express. Okay. That's fine. But sometimes you've got to step back, let them do their thing, and see if they adapt or grow - or fail miserably. Not everyone's going to be a natural. Not everyone's going to have a decade-plus of globe-trotting indie experience behind them either.

This might be their ceiling. Then again, it might not be. It's a game of wait & see. That's what developmental is for though.

I already like Blake & Murphy more than The Decade in Ring of Honor. That's with Whitmer being a 37-year-old man & a 15-year veteran. Then again, I'm not sure how relevant of a statement that even is. My point being they have a bigger upside than other wrestlers around that I have watched lately.

I do like their finish. The running Vertical Suplex into the Frog Splash. It sort of reminds me of Power & Glory's old Powerplex finish. I think the biggest issue with B&M so far, is that they can't promo. Then they slapped Alexa Bliss with them too & she can't promo either. So now we have a trio that no one can talk for. Their stuff in the ring alone isn't good enough to get them over and none of them can talk. I'm not sure what more they can do on their current path in NXT. So let them start talking a lot more to see if they improve. It is developmental, after all, like SomethingSavage said. Damn shame Dusty Rhodes passed away, as who better to learn to talk from? Whom else is down in NXT to train them? A-Train is the head trainer now, right? He was never a good promo either.

They're trying to do some stuff to get them some cheap heat. The dubstep entrance, the Lenny/Lodi/Jericho style ponytails, etc. I just don't think that stuff will really work in front of the smark-heavy NXT crowds.

I think it'd be a lot easier to like what they are doing with their lower card guys like B & M, Enzo/Cass if they weren't feuding with each other. Neither is ready to carry a feud at the moment in-ring. Enzo/Cass can get by on the mic. If you're not using Solomon Crowe for anything at all why not give him a tag partner and have him take a run at B & M? Couldn't hurt to have a more experienced guy in the ring with all the youngsters. And the Vaudevillains can at least keep things interesting enough as heels on their own that they would make a good foil for Enzo/Cass. I think the current feud and the fact that neither team or their lady friend is ready for it as far as the in-ring side of things and one side isn't ready on promos makes it a really bad idea. I understand that they have to learn, but this early in the learning process it's nice to have somebody to guide them through it.

I think the Vaudevillians are by far the best rag team they have in NXT. They do all the little things you want a heel team to do. They cut off the ring really well. They know how to milk those hot tag hope spots to the absolute max. And they know how to get crowds that want to cheer them to boo. They're a perfect undercard tag team.

Vaudevillans are so boring as heels though. They had to turn them back babyface cause they were bombing as heels. My new favorite tag team in NXT is Jason Jordan and Chad Gable. Gable is like Angle but less crazy. He's one of the better "developmental" guys that they have built from scratch.

I do like their finish. The running Vertical Suplex into the Frog Splash. It sort of reminds me of Power & Glory's old Powerplex finish. I think the biggest issue with B&M so far, is that they can't promo. Then they slapped Alexa Bliss with them too & she can't promo either. So now we have a trio that no one can talk for.

I actually thought that Alexa's heel promo from a few weeks ago was pretty solid. You could still say a work in progress but a big step up from the few times I'd heard her talk as a face.

• 2 weeks later...
WWE has officially announced the date and location for the next NXT Takeover live special, and for the first time the two-hour event will be leaving the confines of Full Sail University in Winter Park, FL.

NXT Takeover will broadcast live on the WWE Network on Saturday, August 22nd from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY. That means WWE will be running three back-to-back-to-back shows at the same venue, as the annual SummerSlam PPV airs the following night, followed by Monday Night Raw also at the Barclays Center.

Tickets go on sale Saturday, July 18th.

WWE treating Barclays like it's Sumo Hall.