Pro Wrestling Only

What is the future of NXT?

Dylan Waco

Keep in mins the current ROH champ is going to NXT sooner rather than later (I'm hearing 6/20 may be his last show).

Maybe not as soon as Triple H wanted though.

I just don't know why WWE would be out to destroy the indies when they barely made the effort to do anything predatory to TNA during the time TNA had lots of money and big stars.

For years Dave Meltzer has said how upset WWE was at the indies piggybacking off the success of WrestleMania by holding house shows the same weekend in the same place, because they believed that money should be theirs and theirs alone. Ring Of Honor was most guilty of this. Plus, like El-P and KrisZ said, this is all about Triple H following in his father-in-law's footsteps and proving his chops as a promoter. What better way than beating the indies at their own game?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ROH will be fine unless NXT runs the ROH circuit and forces fans to choose between the 2 shows. For some markets, it would be a godsend to get more quality wrestling (South Texas for example). ROH will survive the loss of Briscoe just liked they survived the loss of Styles, Bryan, Low-Ki, Joe, Punk, Generico, Steen, Edwards, Richards, etc.

I'm surprised the WWE is interested in the Briscoes, especially when one of them is a homophobic douchebag and complete liability to a corporate-minded, publicly-traded company. No matter how good they may (or may not) be, they're not worth the potential headaches. It's not like either of them are the next Rock or Cena, especially in a company that has historically de-emphasized tag team wrestling.

A lot of people (not here) are awful mad about WWE trying to 'kill the indies'. I'm about the least capitalistic person there is, but I think if you're going to have capitalism, it's to the benefit of the workers to have more competition and more places to choose from to work. It seems like a lot of people are siding with the indie promoters, for whom this is undoubtedly a bad thing, over the workers, for whom it's probably a good thing. If WWE drives up pay and forces more indies to give guaranteed contracts, that's a good thing.

I guess the concern is that WWE uses its muscle to establish a monopoly on the indie scene, driving everyone else out of business and ultimately resulting in less choice for the workers, but is that really a concern? Sinclair is a bigger company than WWE and could easily go toe-to-toe with them at that level if they were willing to actually spend some money. I guess the worry would be that nobody else can afford to pay enough to compete with the promise of a main roster WWE slot (whether WWE actually plans on delivering on that promise or not).

I guess the concern is that WWE uses its muscle to establish a monopoly on the indie scene, driving everyone else out of business and ultimately resulting in less choice for the workers, but is that really a concern? Sinclair is a bigger company than WWE and could easily go toe-to-toe with them at that level if they were willing to actually spend some money. I guess the worry would be that nobody else can afford to pay enough to compete with the promise of a main roster WWE slot (whether WWE actually plans on delivering on that promise or not).

The problem is that Sinclair really doesn't want to spend money on ROH. Joe Koff went cap in hand to the Sinclair execs at the turn of the year and came up empty. They're not going to get into a bidding war with WWE for any talent. Plus, I could see Sinclair quickly souring on ROH if they start racking up losses because NXT is regularly running against them, and wanting to cash out by selling the ROH tape library to WWE.

I am not advocating this at all, but if they moved Daniel Bryan to NXT and built around him, could they upgrade to slightly bigger buildings?

I think so.

The Cleveland show sold out at 1,100 according to the WON. The usual (current) ECW Arena Set up holds about 1,000. So at least in that small sample, they are running about 1,000 seat venues. The next step up then would be 1,500 - 2,000 capacity buildings I'd think. I think if NXT was built around Bryan they would have a good shot of adding the 500 - 1,000 fans needed to make that step up.

Just in terms of the "indie audience", I think having Bryan on top would give them a boost. On paper Bryan vs. Itami, Owens, Zayn, Neville, and Balor feel like bigger/fresher matches than any of those guys wrestling each other. Bryan vs. KENTA was a big match on the indies and those two haven't had a singles match in 6 1/2 years (they haven't had a singles match in the US in almost 8 years). Its hard to imagine that they couldn't do 1,800+ in Philly, New York, Chicago, ect. (historically strong ROH cities where ROH draws 1,000-ish currently) with that match on top, particularly if they avoided running it on TV before hand. Bryan only wrestled Pac once (in the UK in 2009) and as far as I am aware, he's never wrestled Devitt. I feel like those matches would probably entice the ROH/indie audience.

Beyond that, Bryan headlined house shows are drawing in the 4,000 range recently with him and Kane working singles matches on top. Obviously he has help below on those shows underneath and they benefit from being promoted as "main roster" WWE shows. At the same time, you are only talking about needing a couple of hundred more casual fans to go to an NXT show for Bryan to make it worth it. I don't think its a stretch to say that could happen.

As you said, not sure they should do it unless they have a specific end game in mind to "elevate" NXT from developmental brand to secondary brand. I am not sure that they do. I also have a feeling that the novelty of NXT will wear off at some point. It will be interesting to see what happens if they start going back to non-FL cities a second, third, or fourth time. If the interest level remains high, eventually they will have to elevate those guys up the ladder or at least start compensating them similar to the main roster wrestlers.

I am not advocating this at all, but if they moved Daniel Bryan to NXT and built around him, could they upgrade to slightly bigger buildings?

I think so.

The Cleveland show sold out at 1,100 according to the WON. The usual (current) ECW Arena Set up holds about 1,000. So at least in that small sample, they are running about 1,000 seat venues. The next step up then would be 1,500 - 2,000 capacity buildings I'd think. I think if NXT was built around Bryan they would have a good shot of adding the 500 - 1,000 fans needed to make that step up.

Just in terms of the "indie audience", I think having Bryan on top would give them a boost. On paper Bryan vs. Itami, Owens, Zayn, Neville, and Balor feel like bigger/fresher matches than any of those guys wrestling each other. Bryan vs. KENTA was a big match on the indies and those two haven't had a singles match in 6 1/2 years (they haven't had a singles match in the US in almost 8 years). Its hard to imagine that they couldn't do 1,800+ in Philly, New York, Chicago, ect. (historically strong ROH cities where ROH draws 1,000-ish currently) with that match on top, particularly if they avoided running it on TV before hand. Bryan only wrestled Pac once (in the UK in 2009) and as far as I am aware, he's never wrestled Devitt. I feel like those matches would probably entice the ROH/indie audience.

Beyond that, Bryan headlined house shows are drawing in the 4,000 range recently with him and Kane working singles matches on top. Obviously he has help below on those shows underneath and they benefit from being promoted as "main roster" WWE shows. At the same time, you are only talking about needing a couple of hundred more casual fans to go to an NXT show for Bryan to make it worth it. I don't think its a stretch to say that could happen.

As you said, not sure they should do it unless they have a specific end game in mind to "elevate" NXT from developmental brand to secondary brand. I am not sure that they do. I also have a feeling that the novelty of NXT will wear off at some point. It will be interesting to see what happens if they start going back to non-FL cities a second, third, or fourth time. If the interest level remains high, eventually they will have to elevate those guys up the ladder or at least start compensating them similar to the main roster wrestlers.

I agree with this take. I think a great angle that would revitalize him would be for The Authority to take him off of TV with the idea that he doesn't belong on the big stage. Everyone knows NXT is HHH's baby, and he'll be right under HHH's thumb. In the meantime, Bryan conquers the odds in NXT and becomes their top veteran with the other top indy stars aiming to knock him off the throne until he eventually does a real torch passing and finds his way back on regular television. In his absence, a #BringBackBryan movement could get some steam on social media too. And in the meantime, the only way to see him every week is to subscribe to the WWE Network.

Of course, his ceiling is much higher than this, but he's never going to get there, so this would actually be a productive way to use him.

As bad as it is for guys we like on the main roster, sending the few remaining guys worth watching down to developmental is not the answer. If they start sending the Bryan's and Cesaro's and Harper's back to work with NXT talent, then there really is no point.

Yea, I am seeing things like this more and more, it's kind of ridiculous. Wrestlers care about their booking MOSTLY in relation to how it affects their paycheck. Sure, some guys would take less money if it meant they got to be the champ, but most guys only care about being booked like shit because it costs them money. Only the purest of marks would want to leave the main roster to go to NXT just so they could have "good booking."

I wasn't even suggesting sending him to NXT so he could reap the benefits of good booking. I was thinking that if they really wanted to make it a strong touring act and compete with independents, using a guy who was a consistent indy draw for nearly a decade isn't the worst way to do that.

Wrestling fans have a weirdly anti-wrestler stance in a lot of ways. I don't think it's a matter of economics/politics, just that wrestling fans will turn on anyone who looks out for themselves versus the promoter (see Brock Lesnar at the moment) because he's not being one of the boys.

this is far from just a wrestling thing

look at basically any labor dispute in sports - the general public sides with the owners over the players, almost without fail.

at least in the US, there's a tendency not to view performers as having agency or being complex human beings.

I wasn't even suggesting sending him to NXT so he could reap the benefits of good booking. I was thinking that if they really wanted to make it a strong touring act and compete with independents, using a guy who was a consistent indy draw for nearly a decade isn't the worst way to do that.

Fair enough. I don't like the idea of NXT being a touring independent where you take main roster guys to give it indy cred though.

There is no scenario presented so far that sees moving from the main roster to NXT as a lateral move or a promotion.

The only people that up until now who could even make an argument for that is Sin Cara and Tyson Kidd. Where they are underused and flawed talent on the main roster who get to work on things/mentor younger talent/take larger roles in NXT. Kidd especially took the opportunity to reinvent himself and retool for this tag team run with Cesaro and was able to lay the ground work while main eventing in NXT. But even I would call that a 'trip to the minors to figure stuff out' and not a lateral move and I love me some NXT.