Pro Wrestling Only

What is the future of NXT?

Dylan Waco

Is running NXT in a big venue like that realistic?

I think the idea is that SummerSlam is an event like WrestleMania where people travel from all over the place to be there. And if these people are that into WWE that they traveled 100s of miles for SummerSlam, they are also likely to want to see an NXT show.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

From http://wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2015/0718/598427/solomon-crowe-cuts-a-promo-on-the-wwe-nxt-title/ (emphasis mine):

"For what it's worth, Solomon Crowe cut an in-ring promo at last night's WWE NXT live event in Cocoa Beach about how he would die in the ring for the fans and about how he's focused on coming for the NXT Title in 2015."

Is this guy an idiot or just a complete goof?

It's also taking advantage of the large NY and Northeast markets, which are flush with a lot of the most diehard indy fans and would probably love to see NXT on a big stage. It's a good move, a bold step forward, and if it's successful, Trips is more savvy than even I would have thought.

I would love to see NXT live, especially one of their big shows. Lately, as in the past few weeks, NXT has been boring & lackluster but it's still probably my favorite current show. Just people have been called-up to the main roster, been hurt or were busy with Japan so the weekly TV has felt more rushed & less important.

Brooklyn TakeOver would be a 900 mile drive for me, so that's obviously not feasible. I did see they were in Columbus, OH a few weeks ago though & my friends and I seriously considered it. We talked about it & if it was financially feasible, as that was like a 3 1/2 hour drive for us. If they ever come as close as say, Indy, I would be there. I've traveled to see ROH before farther away so I would def. go see NXT if it were closer.

So if I were closer to Brooklyn or had tickets to Summerslam, I would be there for sure. I imagine there's quite a few people in that same boat.

I'm wondering if they aren't overplaying their hand here with this aggressive push against ROH seemingly out if nowhere. I'm already noticing some people on other boards feeling like NXT "turned heel" with this, which while hyperbolic to be sure, does kind of make sense when you consider they built up NXT as more or less a more polished version of ROH.

A lot of their fanbase (well outside of the ones that are students at Full Sail) seem to be ROH fans as well, it seems like the assumption that when running head to head everyone will pick NXT because....reasons..... is a bit presumptuous.

It's one thing if it's Mania weekend and there's millions of wrestling fans in town, I don't know if Random NXT House Show vs Big ROH Event is going to work the way WWE thinks it will.

A lot of their fanbase (well outside of the ones that are students at Full Sail) seem to be ROH fans as well, it seems like the assumption that when running head to head everyone will pick NXT because....reasons..... is a bit presumptuous.

It's one thing if it's Mania weekend and there's millions of wrestling fans in town, I don't know if Random NXT House Show vs Big ROH Event is going to work the way WWE thinks it will.

That is true. Especially now that a lot of the people everyone was going crazy over in NXT is either injured or going to the main roster.

I am also not sure they are going to be able to freeze ROH out of a bunch of arenas because ROH has a long history in a lot of the places they run and how many shows is NXT really going to run on the road? I doubt they are going to be able to provide an arena with as many shows as ROH, at least in ROH's main venues.

If Daniel Bryan manages to make a full recovery (which I don't expect) and they put him in NXT, they have an indy legend who fits the vision and also has the potential to draw casual fans. ROH would be hurt pretty bad by that.

For all the "WWE hates Daniel Bryan!" narratives out there, they would never in a million years put him back in NXT when there is money to be made off him on the main roster. I don't think he'll be coming back so it's probably a moot point.

What are they going to do when all the current NXT darlings get called up? They probably bought more time with Itami and Zayn since they'll need some time to get the rust off when they return, but keeping Balor down at this point is almost a waste. It's going to be interesting when it's mostly Performance Center guys in there and it ends up looking more like late OVW era developmental.

What are they going to do when all the current NXT darlings get called up? They probably bought more time with Itami and Zayn since they'll need some time to get the rust off when they return, but keeping Balor down at this point is almost a waste. It's going to be interesting when it's mostly Performance Center guys in there and it ends up looking more like late OVW era developmental.

On this front, I expect they'll probably look to sign some guys like they did with Samoa Joe. I honestly don't know if they ever even plan on bringing him onto the main roster.

Of course they can always dangle that possibility of a main roster spot in front of guys, and if NXT is running the same size arenas as your PWG or ROH & drawing similar sized crowds why WOULDN'T you want to work for NXT instead?

They need an established indie guy to lead the brand so Balor is it. I think he'll be on the main roster after Mania though. They have some guys that haven't even debuted yet like Uhaa Nation who can take the place of guys that get called it. It will be harder to replace the women but divas like KC, Jesse and even Lina are already over with the crowd.

Reading the new Observer and NXT may very well be able to get exclusives on arenas. I had no idea their show in Brooklyn was doing such big ticket sales.

At press time there were 11,000 tickets out in a building that is currently set up for 13,438.

11,000 is way bigger than anything ROH has ever done isn't it? By like 2x?

The story about the crowd at Full Sail having a fit about not getting the Brooklyn special and booing any mention of the show and chanting how they should have gotten it could be a problem though.

Yea but the crowd in Greensboro had a legit gripe. The people at Full Sail don't even pay to get in. And its an "arena" of 400 people compared to 11,000

If you aren't a student, the tickets are $10. $20 if you sit ringside which most of the non students do. I say the crowds about about 20/30 percent students these days.

The whole NXT invades Texas thing is interesting. That afternoon the news breaks that NXT is running Texas the same week ROH is running a back to back shows in San Antonio. That morning before the news broke I ordered Wills and mine tickets to Friday and Saturdays ROH shows in San Antonio. If we knew this was happening we would have gotten tickets to the Friday ppv of ROH, and Saturday's NXT show. Oh well. I'm sure both ROH shows will deliver and we'll be getting 2 AJ Styles matches so you can't go wrong.

Reading the new Observer and NXT may very well be able to get exclusives on arenas. I had no idea their show in Brooklyn was doing such big ticket sales.

At press time there were 11,000 tickets out in a building that is currently set up for 13,438.

11,000 is way bigger than anything ROH has ever done isn't it? By like 2x?

The story about the crowd at Full Sail having a fit about not getting the Brooklyn special and booing any mention of the show and chanting how they should have gotten it could be a problem though.

Wouldn't surprise me if they expanded it even further. I thought they would be able to pack the whole building.

• 3 weeks later...