Pro Wrestling Only

Lucha Underground

Phil Schneider

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the best episode in the company's history tonight. The main event totally lived up to the hype, Drago/Aerostar was fun as usual and the Ryck/Crew match was a nice angle-based feud ending match. Lacking in the vignettes but they more than made up for it with everything else.

I loved the casket match this week. Muertes was fucking king-sized in just beating the shit out of Fenix, hitting him with straight rights on the stairs, launching him into anything he could find, throwing chairs at his head, biting and tearing the mask, just awesome. Fenix held his own too; I thought his selling was great, he took some nutty bumps and leaned into everything, making it look super painful. Lucha Underground rules.

• 1 month later...

Catching up with LU, and yeah, pretty much this :

I loved the casket match this week. Muertes was fucking king-sized in just beating the shit out of Fenix, hitting him with straight rights on the stairs, launching him into anything he could find, throwing chairs at his head, biting and tearing the mask, just awesome. Fenix held his own too; I thought his selling was great, he took some nutty bumps and leaned into everything, making it look super painful. Lucha Underground rules.

this episode, with also the third match between Aerostar vs Drago and Big Ryck vs the Crew was easily the best LU show in term of in-ring action. The casket match was quite the terrific brawl, and they really didn't work the gimmick the way Taker used to do in the 90's during all those awful matches, only keeping the casket spot for the very end and basically brawling until then. The production before the match was also great.

Still catching up. Well, that El Patron vs Texano bullrope match was very disapointing. They just rushed through spots, never really worked the gimmick except one time Alberto bashed Texano's face with the bell, and the finish was idiotic (a submission on the ropes). And that main event… Sorry, but Cage still has zero charisma and is just an indieriffic jacked up High Voltage look-alike. Sure, Puma does some amazing flying spots, but I don't get what is so great about him as an actual worker. Fenix was a much better babyface the previous week against Mil Muertes. The crowd was also über annoying this week. I hate indie crowds chanting "This is awesome" every two minutes, when they's not chanting "What ?" during Dario's promos and "We want table !" like it's WWF 2000. So yeah, the highlight of that week was Son of Havoc finally winning a match after dumping Yvelisse, then Yvelisse kicking Angelico in the face.

Keep on binge watching LU. Johnny Mundo reminds me of Nova. His match with Angelico was everything I don't give a shit about. Looked like a dance exhibition, not a wrestling match. Drago vs Aerostar was nice, as always. The vignettes were killers this week, with Big Ryck and his new gang threatening Dario, the amazing Kill Bill vignette and the whole putting Angelico/Yvelisse & Son of Havoc together as a threesome. The trio match was a lot of fun, despite Killshot doing some really goofy spots at time. Sexy Star worked well with everybody. No idea who this Mack is, but I love me some flying fat guy. Striker made the stupidest analogy ever refering to a young JYD while Mack was doing lucha sequences. And why always compare black guys to other black guys ? Isn't this a bit, you know, racist at this point ? But super fun match nonetheless.

Prince Puma vs Cuerno was decent, but not even getting a nearfall out of that insane neckbreaker spot was totally idiotic. They also totally fucked up toward the end and both looked lost. Not exactly a bunch of ring generals. I don't get Puma's reputation as a great worker, and he doesn't show much charisma through the mask. In short, he's not Rey.

Sexy Star vs Super Fly was idiotic. A mask vs mask between a man and a woman with no build. Russo like stuff.

The trios match was easily the best match of the week, tons of fun and nice interactions between the characters. Ivelisse refusing the hot tag was perfectly timed and quite funny. Cool to see Son of Havoc get over like that.

The trios match between Puma's team and Cuerno's team was pretty good. Cage & Mundo are better in this setting as they can do their spot and get out of the way.

Excellent vignettes building to the final of Drago vs Aerostar, which was a very good match, although that incredible table spot just bieng another spot in the match just hurts, but I guess that goes with the style. Dario was on fire during this episode.

Good angle between Pentagon Jr. and Melissa. I liked the fact Sexy Star and not a guy saved Melissa, who's reaction to Penta attacking her was pretty damn great, she really fought for her life here. Vamp thinks Pentagon Jr. is going a bit too far and almost got involved, almost. Wonder what that foreshadows (uh uh…).

The three-way was a three-way, and by that I mean I didn't care that much for it although I love The Mack. Amazing spot too when Cage just caught Havoc who was doing a plancha through the ropes and got him smoothly into a vertical suplex position.

Really good episode.

I can't speak enough about that Trios final.......Angelico had the spot of the year and the best in Lucha Underground history

Indeed. To me this match is a MOTYC as far as pure fun goes, I don't give a shit, they had me actually genuinely happy at the end, I mean legit marking out because my favourites won. Super babyface performances by all three of them. And yeah, that dive by Angelico was a thing of pure beauty. With Sexy Star vs Pentagon Jr. being as good as a Star match can be, this was one terrific episode.

I thought the three way trios portion was pretty bad, Killshot is fucking awful and was in the match way too much, also Angelico was full on Shawn Micheals crawling and crying selling. The section with the Crew was pretty great, and the Angelico dive was the greatest balcony dive in wrestling history, but considering how terrible Pentagon Jr. v. Sexy Star was, I didn't even think this was an above average LU show

Killshot vs Fenix was pretty bad and disjointed, but at least the right guy won.

That triple threat match was fun for a triple threat match, and the goofy Moth character getting beat up was cute, as was his vignette.

Texano is turning babyface I guess. The second I saw those four jabronies I had a flashback to Nitro in 1999 and half-expected Sid to squash them. I wasn't that far off.

That Trios champs interview by Vamp was pretty funny. Vamp is definitely in his best role here, as is Konnan as a manager. Who would have guessed I would have eventually enjoyed both of them ? Not me.

That Drago vs Puma main event was really cool with a big match (for LU) feel. Nice send-off for Drago, but sad to see him go since he was one of my favourite. Can't we have a Johnny Mundo send-off instead ?

This show remains a lot of fun to watch, and Dario Cueto is the best non-wrestling character in ages. Being a real actor surely helps.

Well, this was the best Johnny Mundo match I've ever seen, although he still does work like a cross between RVD and Dean Malenko, with all the cool and terrible things that go with it.

Both tag matches were good, the Hernandez turn was really well done, with some interesting dynamic during the match. Now, Alberto vs Hernandez sure looks intriguing on paper. I enjoy the Crew as a latino K-DX (sorry for the dated references), with Cisco as Dick Togo (or as a Gedo, actually).

Those vignettes. The more Tarentino-esque this company gets, the better.
Daivari ? I had no idea.

Damn, La Catrina is back, and waking up the monster. That promotion is so cool, really. The perfect antidote to WWE's dated, dull product.

Good debut for Jack Evans, although I question the sanity of doing a 360 from the crowd to the floor in your first match, although I like the fact Aerostar sold it like for a long time even after escaping teh next spot from Evans. Finish looked insane and sold as such, so happy with that.

The Seven way cluster was exactly that, but fun for what it was. The right guy won too, and I look forward to the comeback of Mil Muertes (damn, that vignette).

The final match was more of an angle, but was pretty terrific. And again, sold as death, so yeah, good stuff. Maybe I'll enjot Mundo as a heel more, although I doubt he'll change his in-ring style much if at all (not familiar with his WWE work).

I really hope they won't disapoint the day they unveil Cueto's "brother".

• 2 weeks later...

So, no one is watching LU anymore ?
This was clearly a lesser episode this week. A Puma squash, which is nice, and the confrontation with Hernandez was fine.

Daivari really shows me nothing for now. I don't enjoy this feud at all, and I enjoyed Big Ryck as a babyface, so, this does nothing for me as a whole.

The ladder match was good though, with an amazing dive by Angelico again. I enjoyed the way they actually teased spots instead of just going insane. Ivelisse getting the cake at the end while everyone is down was a nice touch, but I really can do without women getting punched in the face.

The vignettes are still awesome though, and Dario Cueto remains da boss.