Pro Wrestling Only

Lucha Underground

Phil Schneider

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely loved Mundo-Puma to the point I thought it was far and away the best match LU has produced and probably a top 10 MOTYC to date. It never dragged which is quite the feat for going so long, mixed in spots, wrestling, strikes and some absolutely top notch violence and hardcore ish outside. Weapon shots may be overdone, but if you're going to go that route then make it matter like they did hear with the crowbar. Ton of credit to everyone involved laying this out. I had it as an easy 4.25 stars.

I don't know if I would go that far, but I expected a clusterfuck and they delivered one hell of a match, with tons of good ideas down the stretch. The one thing I wasn't crazy about was the big Puma comeback after the tables were set up, a little bit too jumpy for me, in a match where the selling was actually well done most of the time. Apart from that, damn that match was fun. Mundo is so much better as a heel, and I think the format of the match allowed them to get creative in a good way. Most logical guitar shot ever. A holy shit spot that actually deserved the chant. Hey, actually, maybe I'd go as far as saying this is a MOTYC to me too.

I love this show.

I absolutely loved Mundo-Puma to the point I thought it was far and away the best match LU has produced and probably a top 10 MOTYC to date. It never dragged which is quite the feat for going so long, mixed in spots, wrestling, strikes and some absolutely top notch violence and hardcore ish outside. Weapon shots may be overdone, but if you're going to go that route then make it matter like they did hear with the crowbar. Ton of credit to everyone involved laying this out. I had it as an easy 4.25 stars.

I don't know if I would go that far, but I expected a clusterfuck and they delivered one hell of a match, with tons of good ideas down the stretch. The one thing I wasn't crazy about was the big Puma comeback after the tables were set up, a little bit too jumpy for me, in a match where the selling was actually well done most of the time. Apart from that, damn that match was fun. Mundo is so much better as a heel, and I think the format of the match allowed them to get creative in a good way. Most logical guitar shot ever. A holy shit spot that actually deserved the chant. Hey, actually, maybe I'd go as far as saying this is a MOTYC to me too.

I love this show.

YES! I forgot to comment on heel Mundo, but he absolutely brought it here. Using the weapons and capitalizing with 2 quick falls afterwards, taunting Puma and killing clock from the stage, he really delivered on it here. Absolutely a low end MOTYC.

Question for you -- what are the must-see matches before let's say February? I watched Aztec Warfare today and thought it was really fun and a great twist on a Rumble, although I wouldn't rave about it at the level I saw from Meltzer and elsewhere. But that's really the point where I was invested on a weekly basis and am not sure what I missed before then.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I don't get El Rey here, I watch the Unimas version and man is it hilarious the lengths they are going to censor Catrina's cleavage. They added a black bar on her chest to fill in the down-to-there cut on her outfit, and when the action would spill out of the ring near her they were doing obvious post-production zoom ins to avoid showing her too much on screen. I'm not unfamiliar with Mexican TV, hell the edecanes in CMLL wear more revealing outfits than she does, so it's amusing they feel her boobs are too hot for TV.

Ricochet formerly (probably) known as Prince Puma made his return to New Japan today. That is very much not good news for the future of Lucha Underground. New Japan was courting him pretty seriously last year and he picked the LU gig instead. This could just be a short term thing until LU starts filming the second season or it could mean the RIcochet does not think there will be a second season.

I had similar thoughts & questions concerning Ricochet - and I was going to post them over in the new NJ thread, until I saw this post here.

But yeah. You can't help but wonder what's going on with him in LU. To be fair, they are going to have the summer off, so he might just be filling his calendar with NJ dates. Is he confirmed for any PWG dates beyond BOLA?

That being said, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be opposed to taking a high-dollar offer from NJ either. I personally like what he's done in LU, but I don't think he's necessarily essential to the future of the show. Ricochet's never really been a standout guy for me, although I can see why some people are really into his work. It's just not my thing.

He can be good - even great, with the right opponent & setting - but yeah. Ricochet AS Ricochet - in any capacity - is better than Prince Puma. There's something about the mask and the gimmick that almost hides his best qualities & traits. Ricochet himself has some sense of showmanship and charm. Almost all that charisma seems to drain away under the hood though. Not sure why that is, but the body language itself isn't enough to make up for it. He's got a natural knack for showing off, but it just doesn't translate without the big beaming smile, the winks at the crowd, etc.

I'm not sure where he'll wind up by September. I'd prefer to see him stateside in LU - hopefully to eventually drop the mask in a stipulation match. But I couldn't fault him for sticking around NJ for a year or more.

• 3 weeks later...

Having watched a handful episodes of Lucha Underground in February and March, I do really appreciate their commitment to episodic TV and angle advancement each week compared to WWE where nothing ever fucking happens in the plot (WWE wrestling is fine). I just have much time to watch full episodes and prefer WWE wrestlers and wrestling. I am doing a first half review and was looking at some LU matches using the VOW match of the month poll to guide me.

Cage vs Mundo was the week before I started watching. Nothing special standard WWE Smackdown! 2009 match. Mundo talked a big game on Austin in terms of psychology and really emphasizing face/heel dynamics. He said all the right things, but man did not put anything into practice here. Cage is athletic and has the body. He has no idea how to be a heel and he was just throwing spots out. His facial expressions are not menacing. He would probably be better off as a face. Morrison still so his overly contrived kicks and his selling was awful pre-knee injury angle. I still cant believe he uses Starship Pain has his finisher. Has a split legged moonsault ever looked good?

Fenix vs Mil Muertes - Grave Consequences was the peak of my short-lived LU fandom. Loved the match then and love it. My biggest quibble is for as hot as Katrina is, my God is she totally devoid of emotion? Just absolutely apathetic. I am actually enjoy Vampiro as the Canadian-Mexican stoner with his 90s way of talking. I did not like the opening as much this time around, but as soon as Muertes blasted Fenix with the turnbuckle AI was hooked. I loved the blood, gnawing and spitting. In an era where the WWE has totally forgotten how to do a blood feud brawl this was exactly what I needed. Fenix did not have the greatest hope spots, moonsault presses to standing opponents look shitty and the superkick is so overplayed unless you are the Young Bucks. Overall, I dug match a lot and it had a great finish. ***3/4

Trios Champions Son of Havoc/Angelico/Ivelisse vs The Crew - When I was watching, I remember the champions were feuding amongst themselves. It seems the Evil Dario teamed them together to mess with them in Trios titles tournament and their dysfunction bonded them. They won the titles only to have Dario sic the Crew on them on that night. I like The Crew a lot. They are faceless gangbangers that hit hard and dont fuck around. They know how to work heel and made these three misfits (none of which I care for) look great. Watch this for Angelico BATSHIT crazy dive! The awesome finish that has the crowd come unglued, but mostly for The Crew rocking it! ***

LU Champion Prince Puma vs Drago - Drago is fucking awesome! He has the best flips & do-das, he has great strikes, submissions and better selling & facial expressions than majority of wrestlers today. Puma is probably the best of the indy style that pervades wrestling today in terms of just absolutely breath-taking athleticism. He does lack in selling and moving too quickly to the next spot. He is a great spot wrestler. This was a very entertaining match and very appealing to the eye. The commentary reinforced how important this match was for Drago as it was career vs title, but there is a lot that could have been done to the layout of the match proper to put that aspect over. It felt like they were just going out there to pop the crowd. Just to reiterate how much I like LU for using matches to advance angles. They have Hernandez who is clearly a bit shady come in and rough up Drago at the behest of Konnan, who is a total sleazebag leeching off Puma's winning ways. Puma has to make the tough decision to end Drago's career using Hernandez's help against his better judgement. Drago does not seem to broken up about losing his career. One of the better spotfests of 2015. ***1/2

Mil Muertes vs Fenix Deathmatch- These are the best part of Lucha Underground. Really nice violent brawls. I thought this was even better than previous match, which is surprisingly because I do love some good blood spitting. This one cut out the shit at the beginning. Just went right where it needed to go absolutely violent beating from Muertes. Katrina is so, so much better in heel role. Holy shit, was she hot and I mean double hot tonight! Maybe the hottest woman in wrestling right now (up there with Paige and Ms. Foxy for me). The big drawback was Fenix's hope spots where still too convoluted. I liked the double stomp that was a perfect use of taking what the match and environment was giving you. The rope running and the flippity do-da was a little much for a DEATHmatch. Rest assured, Mil Muertes knew what was up and delivered a savage beating and Fenix was selling like a champ. The finish was absolute HOLY SHIT spot! In an era where that gets thrown around, I marked out for that one. Muertes looking strong going into June. Muertes and Katrina is definitely my favorite act in Lucha Underground. ****

The match itself didn't bother me that much. It really should be a death match given the hatred of both (we think) and since Vampiro looks and moves like Kane in about 20 years. If hate those kind of matches then yeah it would suck.

The post match stuff was pretty stupid given that Vamp didn't sell his arm being broke until the ending show video and that apparently Pentagon Jr has been talking to a "master" that he never actually seen

It was total overkill. No selling spectacle that makes 0 sense. Since stuff that they did never happens on tv anymore I loved it as a spectacle and can forgive it warts and all. The payoff and the whole angle made 0 sense. I hope no one try's to do something like that anytime soon.

I can even understand arguments that the show was one dimensional with a lot of brawling. Well when you build up feuds like they did on top. Those feuds were essentially blood feuds. You're payoff should be a more brawling based matches.

The Vampiro-Pentagon Jr much was inanely good for having Vampiro involved in it.

The post match angle is fine within the context of lucha underground. To make sure Pentagon Jr is evil enough he had to test him in the ring and now Pentagon Jr is ready for whatever evil plans Vampiro has in season 2.

Vampiro/Pentagon Jr. was a very smart match. Using that word to describe a match where one guy got set on fire and was rolling around trying to put out the flames for several seconds before someone finally blasted him with a fire extinguisher seems wrong, but hey.

Muertes/Puma was almost good as it could be given they seemed determined to work an all-action, back and forth match. Given the size difference and alignments, I thought an extended Muertes heat section would have made for a better match, but it just never came. That said, for the style of match they did, the most important thing is that the transitions feel big - if the transitions feel like cheap excuses for the other guy to stop selling and start doing his stuff, like they did in the Cena/Owens matches, then the 'my turn/your turn' criticism applies. No such criticism here - the chairshot to counter the dive, Puma running up and flipping off the wall... all the transitions felt huge.My major criticism is that I felt the spots came too rapidly to have as much impact as they should. It's quite possible that was due to them editing out periods of both guys selling here and there to fit the match into the time they had.

Oh, and setting aside how crappy a move the Flatliner is, the finishing stretch was super dramatic and great.

I thought Muertes/Puma was great. Really worked as the number one big match of Lucha Underground: some brawling, chaos around the outside, some bomb trading, a couple big spots and a big finish. Legit felt like the biggest heel vs. the biggest babyface on the biggest show of the year too. Non-stop action and a pretty unique blend of brawling, workrate and clash of the titans style bomb trading.

The best shit in years you mean.

Guy 10 years into retirement takes multiple insane bumps and chairshots without selling a thing (I know most of them were probably tricks, but still). And despite all the death spots, I feel no hate. Vampiro hates Pentagón Jr and the first thing he does is... hit him? Nooo, run into the stairs. Yeah he's being chair-shot to death but he's not selling it so who cares. Yeah he's dropped into thumbtacks but he inmediately gets up so who cares. I really thought I wouldn't ever see a more stupid match than Chyna-Ivory, but this is worse. He rips Pentagón's mask, he's really close to inflicting him the ultimate humiliation... and then nothing happens. No more mask-ripping. Another stupid bump.

Post-match angle that makes Viridian City's gym leader reveal look like a storytelling masterpiece, Russo booking at its best. Basically, Vampiro is testing Pentagón Jr. (or at least in Pentagón's mind because he doesn't seem to know who his master is) during all the show but doesn't say a word just because SWERVE.

The best shit in years you mean.

Guy 10 years into retirement takes multiple insane bumps and chairshots without selling a thing (I know most of them were probably tricks, but still). And despite all the death spots, I feel no hate. Vampiro hates Pentagón Jr and the first thing he does is... hit him? Nooo, run into the stairs. Yeah he's being chair-shot to death but he's not selling it so who cares. Yeah he's dropped into thumbtacks but he inmediately gets up so who cares. I really thought I wouldn't ever see a more stupid match than Chyna-Ivory, but this is worse. He rips Pentagón's mask, he's really close to inflicting him the ultimate humiliation... and then nothing happens. No more mask-ripping. Another stupid bump.

Post-match angle that makes Viridian City's gym leader reveal look like a storytelling masterpiece, Russo booking at its best. Basically, Vampiro is testing Pentagón Jr. (or at least in Pentagón's mind because he doesn't seem to know who his master is) during all the show but doesn't say a word just because SWERVE.

Hmm... the match actually hints at the post match angle. All those things were not supposed to be hate, but a test. He was trying to make Pentagon Jr more evil, not destroy him.

It's not the best thing ever or anything, but saying there is no hate in the match when the post match angle shows why is silly.

• 4 weeks later...

Have been binge watching the end of the season (hoping there will be a season 2). No matter the stuff I don't like about it, this show is too much fun.
I'm at part 1 of Ultima Lucha. So there it goes.

The Mack vs Cage. Falls count anywhere, so they don't even get to the ring. That's the spirit. Ridiculous ECW style match, with tons of weapon shots and brawling in the stands and on the Eagle's nest. Yeah, selling could be better, they treat a DDT outside like it's just another spot, but what the hell, it has good pace and is quite fun for what it is. Cage is better in this setting than when he's doing X-div sequences in the ring. I like the Mack a lot. The finish was both ridiculous and really good. And sold as death. Fun stuff.

Trios championship match. Ivelysse's injury really screwed up the trios dynamic, although they managed to integrate her in the best way possible. The dead guys all have cool new mask, but I admit the beating kinda has that bizarre rudos beating pace that I never cared for in pure lucha (yeah, I said it). Not that good of a match to be honest, worked too much in a texas tornado format. Angelico did another crazy dive, but it didn't look as awesome as the two previous ones. Gotta love Catrina doing her Paul Bearer tribute act though. This shit is great. The last lick of death was ridiculously hot. Catrina rules, she doesn't take shit from anyone. This is some Tarentino "Death Proof" stuff right there. Ok, I hope there's a season two to see how the story progresses between the trio of Havoc, Ivelysse & Angelico.

Hernandez vs Drago. I guess the "believers" were half audience and half extras, with the audience guys not daring to actually hit Hernandez. I do think the gimmick, as good as Hernandez selling it, ampered the match a bit. Decent stuff though, and the right guys won.

Fun first episode of Ultima Lucha, but nothing special in term of matches, although that has been the issue with LU at times. The production still rules, with all the cool posters around the arena which makes it look like a special events.

I had fun watching everything in that last four or five show stretch, but yeah. The Ultima Lucha finale is fucking phenomenal. And that Muertes/Puma bout is incrrrrredible fun.

That camera shot - with the picture visibly shaking as the Flatliner from the top lands - was tremendous. One of the better "impacts" you'll see on a wrestling move, and it's something I'd like to see lifted and used more.