Pro Wrestling Only

Lucha Underground

Phil Schneider

I've read reviews about what's been going on. I haven't seen the last two weeks of TV due to work, but I've got 'em downloaded for when I'm able to catch some free time. I can only imagine what the vignettes look like right now though.

What's the consensus on the latest Fenix/Muertes rematch though? Like I said, I haven't watched yet - but I'm absolutely unafraid to gush over the Casket Match they had awhile back.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The rematch didn't have anywhere near the energy of the Casket match but I still liked it a lot, and would probably like it even more on rewatch not mentally comparing it to the casket match. I hope Mil goes on the smash through the roster. It seems the logical outcome in Fenix getting the medallions which some how give him an advantage to challenge Mil for the blow-off.

I really hope this gets a second season, there's still tons of interesting things they can do. I really want a run for Aerostar in some top angles/feuds.

Really enjoyed last week's episode. That's the best I've ever seen of Hernandez, which is a pretty big feather in Puma's cap. The death match also wasn't bad even if it was a little more LU/cinematic than I prefer out of a match. I absolutely love all of the vignettes and other out of the ring features. Many are ridiculously over the top and campy but done with such a wink and a nod that I don't mind.

LU is basically everything great about pro wrestling. It reminds me of a comic book alternate universe where what we know as Memphis wrestling was teleported to Mexico (I know they're based in LA but you know what I mean).

I don't know how they can pay off the monster angle either, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt since honestly they've earned it.

• 2 weeks later...

Catching up with my favourite wrestling TV show.

The rematch didn't have anywhere near the energy of the Casket match but I still liked it a lot, and would probably like it even more on rewatch not mentally comparing it to the casket match. I hope Mil goes on the smash through the roster. It seems the logical outcome in Fenix getting the medallions which some how give him an advantage to challenge Mil for the blow-off.

I really hope this gets a second season, there's still tons of interesting things they can do. I really want a run for Aerostar in some top angles/feuds.

Agreed. I liked the deathmatch too, although I really could do without unprotected chair shots to the head in 2015. That bump though. And at least, a death bump is sold as such. Catrina's death lick is still the coolest thing going on. So sleazy.

The Hernandez vs Puma match was easily one of Puma's best in the promotion, and the best stuff I've seen from Hernandez. Excellent match all around.

Cool interview with Sexy Star too, and the opener, well, I can't say I care much more about Mundo as a heel, but he's more tolerable that way.

Have no idea how they can pay off Cueto's brother's angle either. That final vignette was probably way too much, but since they've done such a good job thus far, yeah, we'll see.

I love the show, and I get the impression that there are actually a lot of fans here on the board. For some reason, it just doesn't get talked up or discussed as much though. I think Pete (shoe) has mentioned that he'll be talking about it some on his new upcoming podcast project. Others have mentioned following it & enjoying it in the past, but yeah. I don't know why there's not much talk about it here.

There's been some great stuff, for sure. I don't know about listing off 10 definitive matches for ya though. The show's only about 30-something episodes deep, but you could practically pick at least one match per show that's worth scoping out. I'd just recommend checking out the "Full Fight" videos that El Rey posts on their YouTube channel. They usually go with the best or most acclaimed matches of each week anyhow. And, if I tried narrowing it down to a list of only 10, I'd ultimately feel like I had to leave SOMETHING off the list that should've made it.

For sure, you should check out the Casket Match and Death Match between Mesias/Fenix. Probably also the Boyle Heights Street Fight between Puma & Big Ryck. Maybe the 3-way Ladder Match with those 2 and Mundo also, although I don't think I've watched it again since late last year, and so maybe it doesn't hold up to some of the trios tournament stuff & whatnot that's happened since.

Any chance of a Top 10 matches so far from Lucha Underground? Please.....

A few that instantly come to mind:

Puma vs Mundo from the first show

Puma vs Mundo-Ironman

Mundo vs Del Rio

Puma vs Hernandez

Fenix vs Mil Muertes-Grave Consequences

Fenix vs Mil Muertes-Deathmatch

The Gauntlet to determine the first Trios Tag Champions

I'm reeeeeeally far behind, but the cool thing is, as others have mentioned, this show seems ideal for binge watching like a drama you'd watch on Netflix or Hulu.

I'm up to episode 8. So far, the trios ladder match stands out as a highlight to me. Bit of a cluster and not perfect, but the most entertaining thing I've seen yet.

Pentagon Jr. and Drago are both quickly becoming favorites as well.

Yeah. It's funny that you bring up the binge-watching appeal of it. Ever since the show started, I've gotten into the habit of letting about three or four episodes build up until I go through 'em. The content's easy to absorb, and the time spent viewing just flies by.

I can blaze through a month's worth of Lucha Underground - nearly 4 hours - but I couldn't tell you the last time I legitimately sat through an entire 3-hour Raw. Probably the night after WM30, if I had to really think about it.

The early June episode has been the worst by far. The trios match actually kinda sucked, and Daivari looks really bad. I have no idea why he's even employed. Yvelisse's injury really happened at the worst time. The first match was not too good either, and the Sexy Star vs Pentagon Jr. match was absolutely ridiculous. The swerve at the end made the whole deal even worse. Bad episode, the first of its kind. Vampiro is doing his best work ever though it seems. That doesn't mean I want to see him vs Konnan at the season finale.

Episode 31 was better than the previous week, with some cool stuff including the return of Chavo in the ring. Well, Blue Demon Jr. looked like crap, honestly, but I guess his whole purpose is to get Chavo over anyway. Mother fucking DRAGO !!! is back, and his new outfit make Finn Balor looks like a geek cosplaying at the Japanexpo. Seriously, Drago is terrific and one of the top character in the company, so glad he's back. The four way was pretty decent although I'm not a fan of the gimmick. Enjoyed the interactions betweens Cuerno and Cage. The right guy won.

The trios match didn't do that much for me, because you know, midget going toe to toe with regular guys, well, not my thing. Bengale has one hell of a cool outfit. From Secunda Caida I get this is Ricky Marvin ? Man, the guy got kinda fat, but it's ok with me, I like fat flyers too. The Disciples of Death are a cool little gimmick, but of course Catrina, oh my god Catrina !!!

Finally they're building toward the season finale, I guess things will get quite interesting. Johnny Mundo going 45 minutes is just scary though, but the vignettes were once again terrific. Dario is the best non-wrestler character in years.

I absolutely loved Mundo-Puma to the point I thought it was far and away the best match LU has produced and probably a top 10 MOTYC to date. It never dragged which is quite the feat for going so long, mixed in spots, wrestling, strikes and some absolutely top notch violence and hardcore ish outside. Weapon shots may be overdone, but if you're going to go that route then make it matter like they did hear with the crowbar. Ton of credit to everyone involved laying this out. I had it as an easy 4.25 stars.